So I just started getting into Dragonball Z (documenting my running thoughts as I watch as well)

Romell

Superstar
Daps
Have you seen dragon ball? Start at Dragon Ball then watch Dragon Ball Z Kai. Then Super.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Have you seen dragon ball? Start at Dragon Ball then watch Dragon Ball Z Kai. Then Super.

Nah. Haven't seen anything but a YouTube summary of the History of Trunks (which is flames). Then I went back and watched the real thing for that saga.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Currently on the Namek saga. Here are my running thoughts

-This nikka Piccolo just blew up the moon and there were no adverse affects :dahell:
-I can see why people like Vegeta, it's still early but he's easily way more interesting than Goku. Really interested to see how he became one of the crew.
-Krillin needs more props. He out here fighting with all these people with superpowers on some Batman shyt
-These Namekians be gettin fukkED up. :picard:
-Gohan has had a really rough childhood. :picard:
-Goku is a terrible father... breh literally just sent his child to fly to space while he recovers. Chi Chi was like :dahell:
-I'm liking the progression of Gohan tho. He was scared and annoying during the Saiyan saga but now he's on Namek like :demonic:

twan83

GOAT FATHER
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
Use the filler list and watch the Funimation Dub

Dragon Ball Z Filler List | The Ultimate Anime Filler Guide

None of the movies are canon and neither is Dragon Ball GT so you can skip those is you want.

After DBZ, you can go on to Super which might have the full English Dub by the time you finish catching up to DBZ. Then again these fools just started the TOP on Toonami :heh: they're not gonna be done until at least March/April 2019
Breh u might wanna change that till 2020 then :russ:

At best they maybe at the jiren vs goku first fight
:mjlol:
Toonami be having them breaks

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL

-This nikka Piccolo just blew up the moon and there were no adverse affects :dahell:
-I can see why people like Vegeta, it's still early but he's easily way more interesting than Goku. Really interested to see how he became one of the crew.
-Krillin needs more props. He out here fighting with all these people with superpowers on some Batman shyt
-These Namekians be gettin fukkED up. :picard:
-Goku is a terrible father... breh literally just sent his child to fly to space while he recovers. Chi Chi was like :dahell:
-I'm liking the progression of Gohan tho. He was scared and annoying during the Saiyan saga but now he's on Namek like :demonic:
Gohan peaks st the Cell Saga

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
The beginning. :manny:

Kai is a b*stardized rehashing of events. OG Japanese and Funi dubs are the reason why DBZ became wildly popular. Stick with those... or read the manga if you don't want filler. :manny:
The Funi dub up until the Cell games is fukking garbage. Stay away from that.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
i prefer the original japanese version with english subtitles but you may not be ready for that yet. if you're up for it definitely seek that out because imo that is hands down the best version of the series.

DO NOT watch the in house funimation english dub. it's beyond awful. the music is okay at best and the voice acting is just terrible. complete amateurs. sadly this is the most current and most popular dub and is likely the most readily available.

i would say go with the ocean dub. most north american fans, including myself, were introduced to the series via this dub. if you ask me this is the perfect introduction for a newcomer to the series. they condensed the first 67 episodes into 53... so you could probably breeze through whole dub in like 17-18 hours... and that would take you to the middle of the 2nd story arc. the voice acting was really good (except for freeza). this was the version of DBZ that popularized it in the U.S... they censored some stuff back then so there's no blood (and they never use the word 'kill')... but i'm telling you it's the best version of english DBZ there is. shyt if piff.

they released a DVD box set a few years ago:

Dragon Ball Z: Rock the Dragon Edition

granted they never finished dubbing the series but by that point if you're still on board... you might be ready to watch the japense version.
The Ocean Dub is trash too. The voice acting is better than the early fun dub but the script changes and censorship is considerably worse than the in-house dub. That's the version to COMPLETELY avoid if you're trying to get an accurate representation of the series. It's fukking garbage.

Bardock was a brilliant scientist, "THE THREE EYED COWBOY TAKES ONE LAST RIDE" "I can see the parachutes" "Oh no the Cargo Robot," etc. etc.

The Kai dub is the best way to watch the series. Accurate dub, great voice acting.

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
:mjlol: @ Kai. I'll never understand Frieza sounding like an aggy, verbose fakkit makes for "great voice acting." You can't ruin the best villain of the series and claim it's the best. :heh:

The Funi dub up until the Cell games is fukking garbage. Stay away from that.

You have an argument for everything up to end of Frieza. Those earlier sagas are such a hodge-podge of multiple dubs, it's simpler to just watch the Japanese version if you have no nostalgic connections to the old English ones.

Funi with Faulconer is more than serviceable from Android on.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
:mjlol: @ Kai. I'll never understand Frieza sounding like an aggy, verbose fakkit makes for "great voice acting." You can't ruin the best villain of the series and claim it's the best. :heh:

You have an argument for everything up to end of Frieza. Those earlier sagas are such a hodge-podge of multiple dubs, it's simpler to just watch the Japanese version if you have no nostalgic connections to the old English ones.

Funi with Faulconer is more than serviceable from Android on.
So the original Funi dub didn't ruin Frieza by making him a Tranny who cracks gay jokes every 5 seconds?

Frieza being "aggy and verbose" IS HIS fukkING CHARACTER. He's a phony-aristocrat who talks polite and sophisticated but gets angry and petty when he doesn't get what he wants. Not a wisecracking tranny with a grandma voice.

If you don't like Frieza being portrayed as he should be then maybe your fandom should come into question:sas1:

The Funi dub through the Android saga is filled with bad voice acting, crappy jokes, and rewrites (IE Gero being the leader of the Red Ribbon army, Bulma rambling about foot massages, Piccolo giving Dr. Gero a corny Superman speech, etc etc).

Around the Cell Games they actually hired a translator, some new actors, and the other guys who were amateurs at first were improving, so that's the point where it actually got better. And the practice of changing the music in general is shytty and dubs don't do that anymore.

Last edited:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
It's just hilarious to me how people will nitpick modern dubs for small issues and yet the original DBZ dub has a fukking MOUNTAIN of problems (voice atcing, mass rewrites, music changes, bad jokes, people being out of character) and y'all ignore it and have the audacity to say it's an exception to bad dubbing cuz of nostalgia :mjlol: . It's not the exceptional dub, it's literally one of the blueprints for bad dubs!

The Kai dub fixes most of the problems from the Z dub and is actually accurate to the original, but people want to hate because it's not how they remembered it on Toonami.

:lolbron: The irony of trashing Kai Frieza for sounding "gay" when Z dub Frieza was voiced by a woman and said sexually suggestive shyt like telling Goku "Whatever turns you on, big boy" and "We'd be so good together:shaq:"

Last edited:

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
So the original Funi dub didn't ruin Frieza by making him a Tranny who cracks gay jokes every 5 seconds?

Frieza being "aggy and verbose" IS HIS fukkING CHARACTER. He's a phony-aristocrat who talks polite and sophisticated but gets angry and petty when he doesn't get what he wants. Not a wisecracking tranny with a grandma voice.

Funi's androgynous Frieza was more menacing than Kai's annoying cac version that over-talked everything. Maybe Kai's condensing affects his dialogue. His lines are either rushed or overdone compared to every other version.

He's head and shoulders the best in Japanese, but they overshot his characteristics in Kai. The goofy shyt in OG Funi was always helped by Faulconer score maintaining weight of the scene. Kai's initial score was trash, so if the voice performance was weak then the whole scene was. Kai's Frieza saga turned me off from the whole shyt.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Funi's androgynous Frieza was more menacing than Kai's annoying cac version that over-talked everything. Maybe Kai's condensing affects his dialogue. His lines are either rushed or overdone compared to every other version.

He's head and shoulders the best in Japanese, but they overshot his characteristics in Kai. The goofy shyt in OG Funi was always helped by Faulconer score maintaining weight of the scene. Kai's initial score was trash, so if the voice performance was weak then the whole scene was. Kai's Frieza saga turned me off from the whole shyt.
They wrote him specifically to be overly verbose, because that was the best way of getting his character across since in Japan it was more about his specific dialect and honorific choices.

Daps
Reppin
NULL

-This _____ Piccolo just blew up the moon and there were no adverse affects :dahell:
-Krillin needs more props. He out here fighting with all these people with superpowers on some Batman ____
-These Namekians be gettin ____ED up. :picard:

Goku is a lot more interesting if you've seen the OG Dragonball, IMO. (Especially the King Piccolo Saga).

Speaking of OG Dragonball, I recommend checking out that series if you ever have the time.
I would say that the peak of Dragonball/DBZ as a whole really starts when Tien shows up around the 80 episode mark and lasts all the way through the end of Namek (although the Android/Cell saga had it's moments).

And yes, Vegeta's Namek run is legendary. :banderas: