So Capcom vs SNK 3 was supposedly once in development

Sinister

Banned
Daps
I wouldn't say "nobody cares" about SNK, but MvC is definitely a more enjoyable game for me. Man I miss MvC3.
The Marvel games weren't really a big hit until...the 2000s way after the first and most iconic and actual Capcom games came out.

Street Fighter is a much bigger franchise historically and now.

MVCI was an unbelievable flop

parallax

Superstar
Daps
The Marvel games weren't really a big hit until...the 2000s way after the first and most iconic and actual Capcom games came out.

Street Fighter is a much bigger franchise historically and now.

MVCI was an unbelievable flop

Where are you gauging the popularity of the marvel series from? Are you saying X-Men vs street fighter wasn't a popular game? Really?

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Their abysmally low numbers.

Not just in comparison to AAA video games like Call of Duty or Red Dead or fighting games like Tekken, SF, or MK but even in contrast to SNK's 90s success.

You don’t know the numbers and dlc sells, steam numbers do not equate to a game’s success. KoFXIV’s gross margins are baked into their bottom line and I don’t think the parent company releases 10Ks. In addition to their costs vs revenue for KoFXIV.

SNK’s intention with this game was to introduce the franchise to a new generation and that could have been their goal not revenue. Keep in mind this game has a manga and an anime as well and we don’t know what those ventures are doing in China. *Side note: KoF was the wrong game to launch with. It should’ve been a new Fatal Fury*

At the end of the day this is all conjecture and nostalgia waxing as truth. We don’t if SNK developed the game as a loss leader or to just test the market for revival of other franchises.

Sinister

Banned
Daps
Where are you gauging the popularity of the marvel series from? Are you saying X-Men vs street fighter wasn't a popular game? Really?
Copies sold and the revenue recorded as it's currently available onthe the internet.

Xmen vs Street fighter was a lot less successful than the Street Fighter II series...hell everything Capcom did after Hyper fighting was a huge drop off relatively speaking. Street Fighter IV was the only MASSIVE hit Capcom had post Street Fighter II era imo

I will however say that Marvel vs Capcom is more popular than Capcom vs SNK

Sinister

Banned
Daps
You don’t know the numbers and dlc sells, steam numbers do not equate to a game’s success. KoFXIV’s gross margins are baked into their bottom line and I don’t think the parent company releases 10Ks. In addition to their costs vs revenue for KoFXIV.

SNK’s intention with this game was to introduce the franchise to a new generation and that could have been their goal not revenue. Keep in mind this game has a manga and an anime as well and we don’t know what those ventures are doing in China. *Side note: KoF was the wrong game to launch with. It should’ve been a new Fatal Fury*

At the end of the day this is all conjecture and nostalgia waxing as truth. We don’t if SNK developed the game as a loss leader or to just test the market for revival of other franchises.
I'm saying that SNK has never had any single game that has the type of popularity that Street fighter has...even today.

I do think SNK is profitable. I also think they have a dedicated hardcore fanbase. I myself have bought

King of fighters 95 (playstation us physical, playstation Network)
King of fighters 99 (ps us Agetec I saw a costco and psn)
King of Fighters 00/01 double pack (ps2 also bought 2000 on psn)
King of fighters 02/03 double pack (ps2)
SVC chaos (xbox)
Neo Geo battle Coliseum (forgot which console)
KOF 98 um (ps2 physical and the xbox live one)
Fatal Fury battle archives (ps2 and psn)
Art of fighting anthology (ps2)
Snk arcade classics volume 1 (ps2)
King of fighters Maximum impact (ps2)
MOTW (psn)
Last blade (psn)
King of fighters 96 (psn)

For Christmas my friend got me the neo geo classic.

I'm not trying to shyt on SNK by saying that the casual audience isn't there.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Copies sold and the revenue recorded as it's currently available onthe the internet.

Xmen vs Street fighter was a lot less successful than the Street Fighter II series...hell everything Capcom did after Hyper fighting was a huge drop off relatively speaking. Street Fighter IV was the only MASSIVE hit Capcom had post Street Fighter II era imo

I will however say that Marvel vs Capcom is more popular than Capcom vs SNK

it helps that street fighter 2 was ported to just about everything at the time. the only ports that xmen vs street fighter were on the psx and saturn. and with the psx version being crap in comparison and none of the saturn ports being released outside of japan, theres a literal gulf of difference in sales. none of that says that marvel wasnt popular

Sinister

Banned
Daps
it helps that street fighter 2 was ported to just about everything at the time. the only ports that xmen vs street fighter were on the psx and saturn. and with the psx version being crap in comparison and none of the saturn ports being released outside of japan, theres a literal gulf of difference in sales. none of that says that marvel wasnt popular
SNES version of Street Fighter II was far from arcade perfect and sold well.

Sega Saturn sold so poorly (I had one btw...even had Street Fighter the movie the game) that even games that did come to the American Saturn from Capcom didn't do well commercially.

Marvel Super Heroes (the first Capcom fighting game with Marvel characters beyond just X men) came to Playstation and it didn't have or need tagging. It was one of if not the first game I rented when I rented a playstation from Blockbuster video.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 is the only platinum home console 2d fighter between 2 and IV.

Also that "collection" that put the original MVC and MSH together didn't sell all that well.

Look at the sales listed here

Street Fighter 5 sales surpass 2.9 million units

parallax

Superstar
Daps

Sega Saturn sold so poorly (I had one btw...even had Street Fighter the movie the game) that even games that did come to the American Saturn from Capcom didn't do well commercially.

Marvel Super Heroes (the first Capcom fighting game with Marvel characters beyond just X men) came to Playstation and it didn't have or need tagging. It was one of if not the first game I rented when I rented a playstation from Blockbuster video.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 is the only platinum home console 2d fighter between 2 and IV.

Also that "collection" that put the original MVC and MSH together didn't sell all that well.

theres a difference between not arcade perfect but playable, and removing a fundamental element from the game

the vs games on psx were not like their arcade origin. people could live with dropped frames on the sf2 and alpha games because on the major players they all played well.

when you cant tag in a marvel game, whats the point?

Sinister

Banned
Daps
theres a difference between not arcade perfect but playable, and removing a fundamental element from the game

the vs games on psx were not like their arcade origin. people could live with dropped frames on the sf2 and alpha games because on the major players they all played well.

when you cant tag in a marvel game, whats the point?
I agree

fukk Bernier Stolar and how he handled Sega of America.

Sony new their Ran was joke compared to Saturn (even without the Ram carts) and put out several games on the Playstation that had no business being there.

Also the resolution on CVS Pro looks like shyt and is easily immediately distinguishable from the Dreamcast version.

Maybe MVC2 would have sold a lot more on ps2 and xbox if more copies were made if Capcom held the license longer

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London

Marvel vs Capcom 2 didn't sell well because it Capcom lost the license and had to stop printing up the game. A used copy of that game is $70 U.S. I can find copies in the UK for £25. It's pretty rare.

Plus I still have my copy

Sinister

Banned
Daps
Marvel vs Capcom 2 didn't sell well because it Capcom lost the license and had to stop printing up the game. A used copy of that game is $70 U.S. I can find copies in the UK for £25. It's pretty rare.

Plus I still have my copy
I bought my ps2 copy stolen. I also know the legit owner to the copy I bought...the theif was a mutual friend.