Sniping scene in TLOU2 was one of the GOAT sequences in gaming (spoilers)

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The most emotionally draining game I've ever played :wow:

The soundtrack too :wow: sometimes I just go back to the game to go through the ending scenes again. :mjcry:

Its an exhaustive experience. Again, people can say what they want about the games story but I don’t think any games or even movies have had that effect on me. I think maybe recently 1917 or something

Hyperion

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land of The North
The most emotionally draining game I've ever played :wow:

The soundtrack too :wow: sometimes I just go back to the game to go through the ending scenes again. :mjcry:

Honestly, it didn't help that the lockdowns got real serious around that point in time too. That plus the leaks really made the launch a real exhausting experience. When the world is bleak enough as it is, it's tough to go play a game where there's no real happiness or solace, so I understand. If it had dropped January 2020 or even sometime late in 2019, I like to think people wouldn't have been as hard on it as they were, due to a lot of people still having a lot of energy in their mental batteries, so to speak.

I think this game really makes you think about how you process things, because this definitely isn't the game I wanted, but it's the game that made the most sense when you consider everything that happens in the first game. Like it was said, ND could've made a game where Joel goes out heroically, but they made a game that wasn't safe at all. Nobody had plot armor, Ellie nearly got dusted twice by Abby. The game isn't meant to make you feel good; it's supposed to make you hurt and nobody really likes feeling that way when people play video games to escape negative feelings from everyday life as it is. But there really wasn't any other way they could've went with Joel and Ellie's relationship, given the events of the first game.

This game is the very answer to the question "What happens if you choose one life over many?" The WLF came after Joel and Tommy because of him saving Ellie. And that's why the ending is so bittersweet because you find out that Joel would do it again a million times if given the opportunity to go back in time. The very night before everything happens. Ellie felt like her life didn't matter, but it mattered to Joel. So Ellie's path for revenge is largely because she feels responsible for all of it -- they went after Joel because Joel saved her life. Their broken bonds were just beginning to mend, only to be taken away, and when you consider all of that... The way TLOU2 plays out makes the most sense. Joel's fate was sealed by the end of the first game.

If people wanted a different game, they'd have to address Ellie's feelings and somehow make her emotionally intelligent enough to understand Joel's decision. And when you're an emotionally scarred and depressed 14 year old who's lost pretty much everyone, told that you're the sole answer to ridding the world of the things that took away your loved ones and then was lied to by the one person you trusted, essentially dooming the world to continue living in this hell just because of his own selfishness... It would've been completely unrealistic for her to just get over that easily.

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Honestly, it didn't help that the lockdowns got real serious around that point in time too. That plus the leaks really made the launch a real exhausting experience. When the world is bleak enough as it is, it's tough to go play a game where there's no real happiness or solace, so I understand. If it had dropped January 2020 or even sometime late in 2019, I like to think people wouldn't have been as hard on it as they were, due to a lot of people still having a lot of energy in their mental batteries, so to speak.

I think this game really makes you think about how you process things, because this definitely isn't the game I wanted, but it's the game that made the most sense when you consider everything that happens in the first game. Like it was said, ND could've made a game where Joel goes out heroically, but they made a game that wasn't safe at all. Nobody had plot armor, Ellie nearly got dusted twice by Abby. The game isn't meant to make you feel good; it's supposed to make you hurt and nobody really likes feeling that way when people play video games to escape negative feelings from everyday life as it is. But there really wasn't any other way they could've went with Joel and Ellie's relationship, given the events of the first game.

This game is the very answer to the question "What happens if you choose one life over many?" The WLF came after Joel and Tommy because of him saving Ellie. And that's why the ending is so bittersweet because you find out that Joel would do it again a million times if given the opportunity to go back in time. The very night before everything happens. Ellie felt like her life didn't matter, but it mattered to Joel. So Ellie's path for revenge is largely because she feels responsible for all of it -- they went after Joel because Joel saved her life. Their broken bonds were just beginning to mend, only to be taken away, and when you consider all of that... The way TLOU2 plays out makes the most sense. Joel's fate was sealed by the end of the first game.

If people wanted a different game, they'd have to address Ellie's feelings and somehow make her emotionally intelligent enough to understand Joel's decision. And when you're an emotionally scarred and depressed 14 year old who's lost pretty much everyone, told that you're the sole answer to ridding the world of the things that took away your loved ones and then was lied to by the one person you trusted, essentially dooming the world to continue living in this hell just because of his own selfishness... It would've been completely unrealistic for her to just get over that easily.

Well said breh. Well said.

I think I said it earlier in this thread, this game was fantastic. Its not perfect, but I really enjoyed the narrative. I feel like with the abundance of cookie cutter media out here (Disney owned Marvel + Star Wars etc) people werent ready for a story like this since it actually has world building, character relationships, character arcs, subtle acting and cues to pick up on and the whole thing played out more like a novel than a traditional linear movie.

Personally, after reflection, I thought that this narrative was just as good as the first one...maybe even better.

I enjoy the story based singleplayer epics done by AAA studios. Last of Us p2, RDR2, GOW etc.

I really enjoyed this past generation.

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA
That boy Tommy was a demon with that rifle :wow:I really hope we get a prequel of the Miller boys in their prime, it’ll be a sad feeling if we never get it

A big thing is made about how selfish Joel was with saving Ellie but no one brings up how selfish Abby’s father was, willing to kill a little girl without even getting her consent for a possible vaccine that wasn’t even guaranteed. When Marlene asked him would he sacrifice Abby he didn’t answer. Being that there is no vaccine that even exists for a fungus infection, Ellie would have died for nothing.

Last edited:

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That boy Tommy was a demon with that rifle :wow:I really hope we get a prequel of the Miller boys in their prime, it’ll be a sad feeling if we never get it

A big thing is made about how selfish Joel was with saving Ellie but no one brings up how selfish Abby’s father was, willing to kill a little girl without even getting her consent for a possible vaccine that wasn’t even guaranteed. When Marlene asked him would he sacrifice Abby he didn’t answer. Being that there is no vaccine that even exists for a fungus infection, Ellie would have died for nothing.

That’s not really selfishness. He wasn’t doing what he did for his own personal benefit but for, what he perceived, was the greater good. I also have doubts that a vaccine could have been created but he was scientific genius and he said Ellie’s case was special so there was a chance.

Ellie was willing to sacrifice herself. Where Joel fukked up was by killing Marlene, lying to Ellie, and taking away her agency too.

But I think all the characters are flawed and have good reasons to do what they did. Same reason I that Abby’s vengeance made sense from her perspective.

Jimmy ValenTime

A really good Lawyer
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
It was very satisfying letting tommy and ellie get their revenge even though the game like

"no their revenge is bad" :damn:

TLOU FANS "Good ":demonic:

All of abby's death animations were hilarious :heh:

Jimmy ValenTime

A really good Lawyer
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
Naughty dog could told the same story in a diff order and it's better

All the abby stuff should been the start of the game and then the mid point she kills joel and then you comtrol ellie

I wont knock any one who had a good time with the game as is

But I just felt like the game tried to manipulate me and it left me cold

I like killing everything as both charcters and the set pieces are tight for both of them but the plot points and cut scenes left me cold ...

I didnt care for the wolves and I found ellie iratitng also

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Naughty dog could told the same story in a diff order and it's better

All the abby stuff should been the start of the game and then the mid point she kills joel and then you comtrol ellie

I wont knock any one who had a good time with the game as is

But I just felt like the game tried to manipulate me and it left me cold

I like killing everything as both charcters and the set pieces are tight for both of them but the plot points and cut scenes left me cold ...

I didnt care for the wolves and I found ellie iratitng also
Yeah. The story's pacing could definitely have been improved.
Most egregious was the hard cuts to a flash back at peak moments in the story. They tried to raise the tension like a TV series cliffhanger but it just made the parts playing as Abby feel like a chore you had to do to earn the right to see what happened after the cliff hanger. Loved the game and enjoyed it more than the first one but it definitely introduced some flaws that the first one didn't have.

Genos

Superstar
Daps
I fukked up and went into photo mode when he first started sniping so I knew who it was all along

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I don’t really think theres a game that compares to this in terms of how graphic/realistic it is. There’s stuff like mortal kombat but that stuff is almost like cartoony now. Look at the way tommy just slumps manny out of nowhere and keeps unloading and for mad long you’re like yo i cant wait to fukking catch this nikka and at the end realize its the guy you like.

giphy.gif

This is why i will fight people saying teh story or plot in this game sucks. Like, I’ve never played a game where one second I’m teaching my adoptive niece how to shoot a sniper rifle and 6 hours later I’m shocked to see I’m fighting the character i was just playing as trying to kill the new character I’m playing as.

Like all the enemies are bosses at one point. It’s a wild ass game. I love that risks like this were taken on such a big title.

TLOU2 could have easily been Joel and Ellie part 2 in Seattle and Joel has a heroic death at the end and everyone is sad but happy. ND was like naw, fukk that we’re making this game how we want and its gonna really make some people mad and keep yall on your toes. We not doing the hollywood sequels here.

Love this game.

I really hope God of War Ragnarok takes a few cues from Naughty Dog and doesn’t play it safe with another linear adventure with kratos and Atreus
Get yo ass beat caping for writing miscues and franchise damaging creative.