newcover_1920x1200_v3.jpg

slam-97-rookiesmostlikely.jpg

Where was Iverson?

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I used to love SLAM.:mjcry: Not feeling this at all, that AI was classic, even the story behind it was GOAT with how SLAM hard a hard time getting AI to want to undue his braids for the Dr. J retro look and was overall hard to work with because he just wasn't feeling the idea. Even when they recreated their 96 cover with all the rookies (Kobe, Ray, Steph etc etc) with the 2104 rooks felt forced, they have really went downhill. But this right is the worse, really takes away from that classic Iverson cover.

But I'm an oldhead so :manny:

They re-did the rookie cover in 2002 as well. Peaked a year too early on that one

2002-Rookies-Slam-Cover.jpg

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I'm surprised in this day and age it's not a e-mag

I used to buy slam faithfully as a kid. I remember when I had a subscription and wjen I would get it in the mail.

Posters on the wall, them HS diaries, seeing the latest sneakers. Urban wear that never lasted :heh:

When I finally made it to the mail or ask the editor crap

SLAM still exists?

Honestly, you should not be reading that past the age of 17.

*Hulks Up*

got that new coli smell
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The D (where it's so cold)
Reading that "rookie most likely to":russ:

Their predictions were trash. Still are.

But embiid the baby GOAT will do just fine as lit as he's healthy

I'm going to dig through my old issues (might even post some pics too stay tuned) and see what I have, I know I have that OG issue, one of the most hilarious things was the "rookie most likely too" all the editors had predictions. One of the most hilarious was the 'rookie most likely to hurt himself running laps' I think it was Scoop Jackson that had crazy ass Leon Smith as 'rookie most likely to hurt Don Nelson running laps.:heh:

Good times.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I'm surprised in this day and age it's not a e-mag

I used to buy slam faithfully as a kid. I remember when I had a subscription and wjen I would get it in the mail.

Posters on the wall, them HS diaries, seeing the latest sneakers. Urban wear that never lasted :heh:

When I finally made it to the mail or ask the editor crap

You can subscribe to it digitally

*Hulks Up*

got that new coli smell
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The D (where it's so cold)
SLAM still exists?

Honestly, you should not be reading that past the age of 17.
Why it was well written and they had sort of a freestyle and not forced to write like old cacs from Sports Illustrated. There was alot of vivd journalism done in it, not sure about now since I haven't bought an issue in almost a decade. NOYZ used to be my first read, SLAM was the only mag I would purposely go into a store just to read for free.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
What makes this especially dumb is they already saw that KG and Marbury didn't work out, so they double down and do another failure combination :wow:
And the title didn't flow since the og was a play on showbiz and ag. They trying to playoff something that was already playing off something else, where most of their readers by this time won't even get the reference. Plus Love and Rubio ain't even cool enough to deserve a reference like that, and that's before the basketball skills even acknowledged.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Why it was well written and they had sort of a freestyle and not forced to write like old cacs from Sports Illustrated. There was alot of vivd journalism done in it, not sure about now since I haven't bought an issue in almost a decade. NOYZ used to be my first read, SLAM was the only mag I would purposely go into a store just to read for free.
I noticed a change in SLAM when Scoop Jackson left. Don't know if he is still around the magazine, but there was a massive drop off in quality.

I dont think its well-written either.

I tried to read it sometime in college, and I just thought it was terrible.

They also overhype a lot of HS players. Ever since they got Lebron right, they been doing it for everyone and been destroying lives, imo.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I noticed a change in SLAM when Scoop Jackson left. Don't know if he is still around the magazine, but there was a massive drop off in quality.

I dont think its well-written either.

I tried to read it sometime in college, and I just thought it was terrible.

They also overhype a lot of HS players. Ever since they got Lebron right, they been doing it for everyone and been destroying lives, imo.

I stuck with it longer than I should have, but there was definitely a drop off after Scoop left (he also fell off after leaving). Back then, they used to do a good job of highlighting lesser known players from college and former streetball players. The Fly Williams article is one of their most memorable pieces.

Daps
I used to love SLAM.:mjcry: Not feeling this at all, that AI was classic, even the story behind it was GOAT with how SLAM hard a hard time getting AI to want to undue his braids for the Dr. J retro look and was overall hard to work with because he just wasn't feeling the idea. Even when they recreated their 96 cover with all the rookies (Kobe, Ray, Steph etc etc) with the 2104 rooks felt forced, they have really went downhill. But this right is the worse, really takes away from that classic Iverson cover.

But I'm an oldhead so :manny:
The print magazine business is dying. They clearly just figured let's create nostalgia for the late 80's/90s babies and have them at least take a look at our magaizines just over the cover.
Doing this once maybe okay, but remixing your own cover this many times shows laziness and lack of creativity.
Sorta like Diddy remixing every song he put out which was big back in the 90s/2000s.