πŸ•ŠοΈπŸ™πŸΎ Singer, Actor, Activist Harry Belafonte Has Passed Away At 96 of Congestive Heart Failure | NewYorkTimes.com πŸ™πŸΎπŸ•ŠοΈ

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
I'll always remember hearing about how he sacrificed his entertainment career for the cause. Believe it or not, and as popular as the movie "Buck and the Preacher" was in the early 70's, I didn't see that movie until probably 10 or 12 years ago, on Bounce TV I believe. I still haven't seen it all the way through, being on Bounce TV. Although I always knew Sidney Poitier played in it, and I recognized him immediately, I didn't realize the preacher was Harry Belafonte. That's how young he was. Before this, I thought I was too young to remember his acting career. I guess he stayed in Hollywood long enough for me to remember him after all. He was probably fading from the entertainment scene well before this movie, because I still don't remember anything else about his Hollywood career. No disrespect to the recently departed Sidney Poitier, but it's ironic how he became the bigger public figure near the end. Standing up for what's right really does pay off.

Rest in peace, Harry Belafonte.

Last edited:

Clayton Endicott

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
A lodge of the Saints John of Jerusalem
RIP Sir
I'll always remember hearing about how he sacrificed his entertainment career for the cause. Believe it or not, and as popular as the movie "Buck and the Preacher" was in the early 70's, I didn't see that movie until probably 10 or 12 years ago, on Bounce TV I believe. I still haven't seen it all the way through, being on Bounce TV. Although I always knew Sidney Poitier played in it, and I recognized him immediately, I didn't realize the preacher was Harry Belafonte. That's how young he was. Before this, I thought I was too young to remember his acting career. I guess he stayed in Hollywood long enough for me to remember him after all. He was probably fading from the entertainment scene well before this movie, because I still don't remember anything else about his Hollywood career. No disrespect to the recently departed Sidney Poitier, it's ironic how he became the bigger public figure near the end. Standing up for what's right really does pay off.

Rest in peace, Harry Belafonte.
I thought he was hilarious as Geechie Dan in Uptown Saturday Night.

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
RIP Sir

I thought he was hilarious as Geechie Dan in Uptown Saturday Night.
Right now, the only actors in that movie I can remember right off bat is Sidney Poitier and Bill Cosby, and I still can't remember their character names. I just googled the movie, and I forgot Richard Pryor and Flip Wilson also played in it. Tbh, we saw this movie at a late night theater, with my mother, her sister, my siblings, and my cousins. We were in junior high while my cousins were almost out of elementary. I didn't understand a thing that was going on in the movie, and we all almost fell asleep, except my mother, my aunt, and probably my older sister.

I may have even recognized Harry Belafonte after all, since you mentioned this movie. Then again, probably not. And like I said, we never even saw "Buck in the Preacher", which came out even before "Uptown Saturday Night". If we did, I probably would have recognized Harry Belafonte enough to place a name on him back then. There's a lot of movies I saw back in the 70's as a child, that would make a whole lot more sense if I saw them today, but sometimes I don't feel up to watching them because of the characters we played, which is the main reason Harry Belafonte sacrificed his acting career. Today, you'd also now recognize some of the characters in those older movies before they blew up.

Last edited: