Should Samoa Joe be the big time player for AEW in his aging years?

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The last time Joe worked his way to this position, he was passed up in favor of face era Roman Reigns. Someone who actually looked as mean as Brock, and could have been catapulted had creative set aside their obsession with shoving the golden child down our throats, pause, and keeping Brock strong for him in the future.

He would then toil around championship pictures in the upper mid-card, but never winning the big one, his last achievement in the E would be winning the US title, before losing it to Ricochet after just 19 days. After suffering a concussion, he was suspended for a wellness policy violation while alleviating his headaches with marijuana. He was then put on commentary while recovering, before being demoted to NXT. Returning as an enforcer to GM William Regal, Triple H quickly put him back in competition and put the NXT strap on him in his first match back 2 months in at a Takeover PPV.

Less than a month later, he was stripped of the title for contracting COVID. Vince would resign him to working as a trainer until his release less than 6 months after that, with Joe personally saying it was politics because Vince wanted to go a different direction with "NXT 2.0".

Joe would then join the AEW, in a confusing move, debuting as the flagship star of the newly acquired ROH, a company that absolutely no one gives a shyt about now, no matter who owns it. Despite the misuse of a great debut in favor of trying to prop up AEW's own version of NXT, Joe would quickly find his way to the mid-card of AEW programming. He looks tough, he wrestles tough, he talks tough. A rare combination for anyone in the current day industry to have in spades. Joe is someone who not only legitimatizes a company when he is at the very top of it, but validates what pro wrestling is supposed to be about in general, someone that will never make you cringe for bad acting, being a stick figure, not looking mean, etc.

He is finally in the mix of world title bouts and main event scenes again after almost 5 years. I don't expect him to win versus MJF, as he is AEW's own version of golden boy Roman Reigns, but the table is set. He's firing on all cylinders, and at the age of 44, you really have the opportunity to cement and prop him up, get a good 3-5 years out of him as his body really starts to break down.

Ball's in your court TK, let's see how the next couple months go.

67cf91491084df11b0480bec36001984.png

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Yes,he's the best on the roster to me

I hope he wins the world title soon,he's way better than MJF
I don’t think he wins at GS, but maybe they can push the feud to Full Gear. You know TK likes giving the W to hometown cats. Maybe he does win at GS if things heat up for Joe. Don’t see why age is an issue either.

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I don’t think he wins at GS, but maybe they can push the feud to Full Gear. You know TK likes giving the W to hometown cats. Maybe he does win at GS if things heat up for Joe. Don’t see why age is an issue either.

I would be cautious going into late 40s that he will become injury prone, and cardio issues. But his style is not based off speed, or conducive to injury, so that is the con for him if you wanted to nitpick one.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I would be cautious going into late 40s that he will become injury prone, and cardio issues. But his style is not based off speed, or conducive to injury, so that is the con for him if you wanted to nitpick one.
He’s been working a decent schedule in AEW since he signed; no major health issues. If he’s last this long without much of an issue, where’s the problem?

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
He’s been working a decent schedule in AEW since he signed; no major health issues. If he’s last this long without much of an issue, where’s the problem?

90 percent of wrestlers slow down in late 40s, and get more injury prone. You can say it about any athlete in other sports in their late 30s too. You are obtuse if you think that's not worth considering. That is why I gave a 3-5 year window before we may see some of that. The time to strike for him and creative is now.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
90 percent of wrestlers slow down in late 40s, and get more injury prone. You can say it about any athlete in other sports in their late 30s too. You are obtuse if you think that's not worth considering. That is why I gave a 3-5 year window before we may see some of that. The time to strike for him and creative is now.
We’re not talking about the future. We’re talking about now and within the next several months. It’s the right time to let dude have a run.

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
We’re not talking about the future. We’re talking about now and within the next several months. It’s the right time to let dude have a run.

Then why are you going on about the one possible flaw? It's a Samoa Joe glaze thread obviously, let it cook, you are the most insufferable poster.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Then why are you going on about the one possible flaw? It's a Samoa Joe glaze thread obviously, let it cook, you are the most insufferable poster.
Don’t try to make this about me when You’re the one who brought up injuries and dude being old. a$$hole. :gucci:

Edit: and you Originally replied to my post that wasn’t even a reply back to you.

Last edited:

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Don’t try to make this about me when You’re the one who brought up injuries and dude being old. a$$hole. :gucci:

Edit: and you Originally replied to my post that wasn’t even a reply back to you.

Clearly stated in OP there's a window before he might start the inevitable decline, then you replied talking about why there's no need to think of a decline from a heavyset man in his mid 40s. I explained why and then you're back to stating what I stated in OP. Like, what? :pachaha:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Clearly stated in OP there's a window before he might start the inevitable decline, then you replied talking about why there's no need to think of a decline from a heavyset man in his mid 40s. I explained why and then you're back to stating what I stated in OP. Like, what? :pachaha:

And you’re acting like dude is gonna be on the roster or wrasslin when he’s 46/47. My reply to your comment was about the here and now; not how his body is gonna be in several years. :childplease: