Should Denzel have won a Oscar for Malcolm X?

Yes or No?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I think so. He acted that part. I know people like to say Spikes filming style and certain liberties they took with portraying Malcolm cost him the Oscar but....Denzel acted the shyt out of that role. It was an Oscar worthy performance period.
His performance was miles better than Pacino’s.
He basically crushed three different roles in one film. He deserved it. I did think Downey was good that year as well.

However, whats this Spike liberties yall talking about :jbhmm:

Did black people back in the day think Spike cost him the Oscar :patrice:

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
He basically crushed three different roles in one film. He deserved it. I did think Downey was good that year as well.

However, whats this Spike liberties yall talking about :jbhmm:

Did black people back in the day think Spike cost him the Oscar :patrice:
I was arguing with someone on Facebook one day about Denzels best movie. Almost everyone was saying training day while me and about 5 others said Malcolm X. We said he didn't win the Oscar for malcolm because the academy was prejudice and the others argued that it was Spikes fault and that we were being sensitive.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
fukk Al Pacino.

Denzel was straight up ROBBED that year. He easily outacted and outclassed everyone on that list. His portrayal of Malcolm X from petty street hustler to a leader and forefather of black pride and militancy was absolutely phenomenal.

The Academy didn’t give him the award, AND they snubbed Spike Lee for a Best Director nomination, because of the subject matter of the film. Pure and simple. Wasn’t no WAY in 1993 that they were going to award a movie that called out White Supremacy from the opening credits. The moment he uttered “I CHARGE THE WHITE MAN!” was the moment both Spike and Denzel knew there wasn’t gonna be no Oscar love

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
fukk Al Pacino.

Denzel was straight up ROBBED that year. He easily outacted and outclassed everyone on that list. His portrayal of Malcolm X from petty street hustler to a leader and forefather of black pride and militancy was absolutely phenomenal.

The Academy didn’t give him the award, AND they snubbed Spike Lee for a Best Director nomination, because of the subject matter of the film. Pure and simple. Wasn’t no WAY in 1993 that they were going to award a movie that called out White Supremacy from the opening credits. The moment he uttered “I CHARGE THE WHITE MAN!” was the moment both Spike and Denzel knew there wasn’t gonna be no Oscar love

Nah, cause even if you can say fukk Pacino for Scent of a Woman, Robert Downey Jr as Chaplin and Denzel were neck and neck.

Last edited:

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I go back and forth with this, Pacino killed it in Scent of a Woman and that should not be forgotten, to say that Denzel should have won it easily or it was a clear choice is being disingenuous, either performance is worthy, hell any other year RDJ probably wins, it's crazy how people forget Chaplin.

FocusedDaily

Chi-town's Hero
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South-side Chi
Yup.

WINNER
AL PACINO
Scent of a Woman
NOMINEES
ROBERT DOWNEY JR.
Chaplin
CLINT EASTWOOD
Unforgiven
STEPHEN REA
The Crying Game
DENZEL WASHINGTON
Malcolm X

Tough year.:patrice:

That's what I came to say. Pacino winning is still eeh.
But it was a really tough year, so I can't call outright shenanigans

They gave it to Pacino that year as a legacy cause he got robbed for his noms for both Godfathers, Dog day afternoon and Glenngarry Glenn Ross.
This is Al's only Oscar. In 1992 it was still the beginning of Denzel's' run, and the end of Pacino's so they weren't that pressed to give a 2nd to Denzel in a short period is the reality.

edit: I see a couple people beat me to it.

Last edited:

x-factor7

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Yea, he deserved it that year. It actually makes the Academy look worse when you see that Pacino never won before 92, when he's had legendary acting performances since the 70s, so he got the make-up Oscar. Denzel could've won in 99 too for the Hurricane.

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
uh DUH.....the way denzel embodied malcolm alone should've given him the oscar. Plus the importance of the story and just how much better the film was than the others on that list. I love scent of a woman but it doesnt resignate anywhere close to what malcolm x did. Thats just cacs being cacs tho.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The fact that he didn't win for this....and Pacino did, because they retroactively owed him an award....which lead to Denzel gettting one for "Training Day"....because they retroactively owed him one for "Malcolm X"....

This is basically why I don't fukk with award shows. The whole process is convoluted as hell for no reason.

Fred.