Should a person making food at McDonalds be able to afford rent and groceries with their paycheck?

Mike Nasty

Superstar
Daps
Ah, we finally get to the truth. You one of them hashtag nikkas. :heh: I should have figured that out sooner. Your caping of the good ole USA makes sense now, otherwise a black man going that hard for America would have to be retarded. :mjlol:

That why you’re so curious about my plans to leave. You take great offense at my presence in this country. So pathetic.
I'm not curious about your plans to leave, cause I know you're not planning to leave.

That was my point stupid:mjlol:

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:jbhmm: you one of those that think the system is fair as is

The system is definitely not fair but life in general isn’t fair either.

But the sheer facts are this you have to do extras if you want to live a certain quality of life. If you aren’t willing to do that and don’t have any extenuating reasons to why you can’t do it that’s on you and not anyone else.

Contrefaire

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
West Coast
Yes, they should be able to and contrary to popular belief, most of them do with the help of government assistance such as SNAP, temporary assistance, subsidized housing, Section 8, etc 🤷🏾‍♂️.

People working jobs like McDonald's, Burger King, and most fast food restaurants/food service are eligible for those aforementioned programs and assistance.

Could they live off those checks alone, maybe but unlikely without the help of assistance.

See jobs like McDonald's and fast food jobs in general are supposed to be entry level jobs (think cashier, customer service, etc type jobs), meaning when you're young (teens to early-mid 20s) and just looking to get a taste of what employment feels like, similar to being a cashier or grocery store stocker and move on to something better in the work field whether it be in the food industry or elsewhere, you're not supposed to make a career of it unless planing to become a manger or owner of a franchise.

The issue is that most people in this country don't have the necessary skills to improve themselves which is why you'll see people in their 30s and 40s working Burger King (it's not their fault) when they should've been moved onto working something better in the food service industry.

And this seems normal and fine to you? Like you honestly think it's perfectly acceptable that everyone else has to subsidize the lives of "entry level" and minimum wage employees of multi-BILLION DOLLAR corporations rather than those big corps being required to pay enough for their employees to sustain themselves with their own wages and salaries??????

Crazy how in one breath you claim food service jobs are 'entry level' and not meant to become careers yet in the next you wax poetic about how their lifestyles should be funded by public assistance and welfare programs. Which ones is it? :huh:

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
and those "teens" at 18 could afford their own apartments and cars. by the 1980s standard someone working at mcdonalds was making like 20 bucks an hour adjusted for inflation. So what's your point?
My point is that the reality of the labor force has shifted, adults are working those jobs full time now and they should make a livable wage. The fact that teenagers used to work them part time in the past is a relevant.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
A full time job at this type of establishment should afford you to take care of you. I don't like getting into the argument of value but for all of us, that's how we get paid. Our compensation is based on our value to the organization. Be it negotiated individually or collectively like for a union. All legal work is honest work but all work isn't the same work nor does it provide the same value.

I wrote the above during the Brittney Griner saga and lot of it is similar here. Your value is largely determined by how easily replaceable or dispensable you are. In a perfect world, it'd be nice if everyone were millionaires and could ball out, but we aren't and we can't. A job where almost everyone from 14 to 70 could do it at a satisfactory level makes you a very disposable commodity. That's a fact that you have to start with. So, with that said, the capacity to take care of yourself under normal circumstances should be afforded to you. Now, if you are trying to go above that, you are simply not being realistic here. If you have kids, etc.., you have to shoot a bit higher than this.

Like, I don't deny that this isn't back breaking work. This shyt is tough. However, most people would have it down pat with the first day of the job so I disagree with the assertion that Nina is making here.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Like, I don't deny that this isn't back breaking work. This shyt is tough. However, most people would have it down pat with the first day of the job so I disagree with the assertion that Nina is making here.

most people wouldn't last a few hours doing that same thing and if participating in endurance sports is a skill, I'd say this qualifies as well.

I seriously doubt she was as efficient as she is now on the first day of the job. when you do something repeatedly and your performance improves as a result, that's your skill improving.

I wish someone would interview people who do these tasks to describe their experience and what they've observed at their job.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
most people wouldn't last a few hours doing that same thing and if participating in endurance sports is a skill, I'd say this qualifies as well.

I seriously doubt she was as efficient as she is now, on the first day of the job. when you do something repeatedly and your performance improves as a result, that's your skill improving.

I wish someone would interview people who do these tasks to describe their experience and what they've observed at their job.
Everyone that has a full time job should be able to afford basic living conditions. But this is unskilled. Proficiency does not equal skill.

Ski Mask

Friendzone: Collection 1
Daps
Reppin
Vegas/seattle

But how many people can last more than a year at these types of jobs? There should be more to consider than just learning curve. I have done fast food and janitor work in the past, and i tapped out within a month in both.

Phitz

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
everybody can't be a lawyer, doctor, engineer, finance expert

money goes to jobs that manipulate the environment and information

So 75% of people should struggle because their skills apply to things that are not centred on manipulating the environment and information.

Not surprised, coli logic at it's finest

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think the government should help people who cannot make ends meet if only to avoid violent revolutions.

I'm not sure this gets solved by increasing the minimum wage but that's a whole other discussion...

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
I think the government should help people who cannot make ends meet if only to avoid violent revolutions.

I'm not sure this gets solved by increasing the minimum wage but that's a whole other discussion...
UBI is more likely the long term solution.

Its some dense people in this thread. Depending on how old you are either your grandparents or great grandparents could take care of an entire family with 1 income (lot of folks worked in a factory w/ no degree). Life has gotten so much more expensive in the last 50 years and wages haven't kept up at all

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
Treads like these show how effective talking points and propaganda are. People blame each on how much people should make and ignore the obvious. Which is there are a small group of people who sets the tone for rent prices and home value which impact everyone.