Shedeur Sanders vs Caleb Williams as NFL prospects

How close are Shedeur and Caleb as prospects?

• Total voters

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Convo @IIVI, @calh45, @klientel and I had in the NFL week 2 thread

Its a debate I think deserves its own thread, what do yall think?

Yeah, especially with Sanders and some of the other players doing big things right now they've low-key took some shine off Caleb.

Caleb still the best player, but dude ain't the single-biggest news in the season anymore.

Sanders getting in that safety's face yesterday in addition to getting the GW drive with his main weapon out, with heavy stakes has me really thinking about how well that'll translate at the next level tbh.

Just cuz he ain’t the biggest news don’t mean he ain’t the clear cut best QB

Maye, Sanders, Penix etc. cannot do what Caleb can do wit a football

Caleb is terrific, don't get me wrong. The physical intangibles are there.

However, football games ain't won on arm strength, it's won by QB's who know how to win with what they can do.

Peyton Manning for example broke the season record touchdown record when his arm was a noodle in Denver.

What Sanders did over the weekend was some stellar shyt. Dude has proven that he can QB at an ultra-high level: the reads, throws, awareness of the OL, etc. Additionally, Tom Brady was his mentor and his dad probably coached him up from a DB's perspective, so the pedigree and Football IQ is all there like a Manning. Caleb is still the #1, but best believe the top 5 teams may not feel like they've lost anything by drafting Sanders.

The weird part about tanking in football is that it doesn't actually turn the team around. The last time it happened with a rookie was Lamar and I don't think Caleb is that good. Tua and Trevor required an entire team to be retooled and/or stacked to win.

I don't watch the bears enough to know if y'all have the team to have a QB be plugged in and y'all would be better. I feel like Eberflus is sneaky bad and so is y'all defense. Tanking won't replace the coach..... Y'all GM may have fukked up by not throwing the bag at Lamar. He looked rusty last week, but yesterday he was on it.

Breh I’m sorry, u see Caleb vs Utah last year? Shedeur played phenomenal, was very similar to Bryce Young’s drive vs UT last year in Austin

But I think these teams foolish if they think Caleb and Shedeur are close as prospects, I think these next two games (UO and USC) will let us know about his comp to other NFL prospects in his class

Very early in both NFL and CFB

The hype is getting out of control a bit...

Caleb looks like one of the most talented QBs to come out ever. His comp right now is Patrick Mahomes....thats insane. His comp is probably the best talent QB we've ever seen.

I love what Shedeur is doing, but him and Caleb are on different planets as far as prospect goes. I agree that the next 2 games will pretty much dictate his draft position.

USC defense is pretty mid too so I’m expecting Shedeur to perform and I’m sure scouts do too

If it’s not a shootout somebody’s stock is dropping

You can't say hype is getting out of control then say Caleb's comp is this generation's Brady. Caleb is good, but even Mahomes out of college wasn't projected to be who he is now.

Caleb is good, but if a team trades down and chooses Penix they're not losing out on a whole lot. Caleb only really has athleticism over Shedeur. I don't think Shedeur is at all close physically, but he's done more than enough to be mentioned on the same level as him play wise.

Athleticism, arm strength, off platform throwing ability

He head and shoulders over Shedeur, only thing they are similar levels at is decision making

Those are all athleticism based things. Shedeur plays with more poise and has performed better with less.....and I don't think I've seen Caleb play a game where his decision levels is displayed as being on the same level as Shedeur so I can't speak to that part of it definitively.

Bro you haven’t seen Caleb play enough if u think they close as prospects, Shedeur plays with elite skill players also

Caleb does shyt Mahomes does now, that he wasn’t doing in college that’s the difference

First. That's not completely true. Shedeur has Travis Hunter and Edwards on the offense, but his actual leading WRs? Horn and Weaver aren't starting over anyone Caleb had at Oklahoma OR USC......and neither is the TE. I don't even know the TE's name.

I've seen Caleb play quite a few times and I don't remember any times he's upset a higher ranked team as an underdog. I'm quite sure we've seen Caleb get shaken as well because he shyt the bed against Utah last year. It's the upstairs part too that matters. Shedeur beats him there. Caleb also gets off schedule when he doesn't have to. Shedeur doesn't do that. Caleb can throw the ball, but that ain't the only thing that matters as an NFL prospect.

GilSho

Veteran
Daps
Convo @IIVI, @calh45, @klientel and I had in the NFL week 2 thread

Its a debate I think deserves its own thread, what do yall think?

Stans are insane man. :laff::laff::laff:

Setting Shedeur up for unnecessary slander. He'll be lucky to go in the 1st round.

If he inherited Deion's athleticism maybe this could've been a reasonable debate.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Caleb is better, but I don't think many of the other teams are going to feel bad for not getting the #1 pick with all the talent that's available.

It's not a 1 QB draft imo.

At the end of the day, Mahomes still had an incredible structure around him as well from Andy Reid to Alex Smith. Mahomes is basically a culmination of a lot of talent coming together to build him up combined with his own mental and physical ability. Situation really counts for a lot.

That's one thing I like about Sanders here, his pedigree with Brady and his dad may actually account for a lot at the next level, kind of like how it did for the Mannings.

Like I mentioned additionally, Peyton Manning is still the record holder for most touchdowns thrown in a single season and he could barely throw a 50 yard pass at that point because of his neck. Every single QB in the league right now has more arm strength than Manning that year had. That display goes to show great QB's and really what separates the greats from anybody is they know how to win with their current ability more so than any physical talents they have.

Greats no matter the field know their strengths and know their weaknesses. They know how to make you play their game, play into their strengths and into your weaknesses. That's why billion-dollar advanced fighter jets can get their asses handed to them in training because the opponent knows the capabilities of both planes very well and how to expose weaknesses during a critical situation. That's why Prime Mike Tyson knocked out taller strong fighters. That's what all the great QB's do from some average-armed QB's like Brees and Peyton to cannon arms like Brady and Mahomes. They know what they can and can't do, know how to do it well and more times than not do the former when it comes time. We don't really know who has that though until we see them break teams down in the league and expose what defenses are giving them. The league is still the best of the best of the best - can they play those high-level chess games with those players and coaches?

In hindsight, the guy was completely right about the skill transferring over to the Pac 12.

It's hard for me to watch that breakdown and say if Sanders went to a great offensive-minded head coach and/or OC that dude wouldn't dominate. I think because of his pre/post-snap processing and football IQ, Sanders can be special in the right system. If he's not taken early, I can 100% see a team like Washington, Atlanta or Minnesota pull the trigger.

Come to think of it, I'd love to see another Sanders landing in Atlanta, especially with Bijan :merchant:

Last edited:

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
As much as I like Sheduer, Caleb is better at literally everything….every measurable attribute.

We need to be figuring out where Sheduer fits amongst Maye, Penix, Nix, Ewers, JJ ect

I personally think he’s behind Maye if he looks solid against Oregon. That probably makes him a top 8 pick.

Th3G3ntleman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If all that scrambling and running around in the pocket shyt works like it does for Mahomes in the league than Caeleb for sure.

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
As much as I like Sheduer, Caleb is better at literally everything….every measurable attribute.

We need to be figuring out where Sheduer fits amongst Maye, Penix, Nix, Ewers, JJ ect

I personally think he’s behind Maye if he looks solid against Oregon. That probably makes him a top 8 pick.
Maye, Penix and Ewers are all better.