Share your budget with The Coli

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
After watching a few YouTube videos, I decided to crunch the numbers on my budget via Google Sheets for the first time in months. In terms of Housing, I rent a studio apartment FYI:

xXchdml.png

Overall, I'm one of those guys that is used to not having a lot of money, so I don't really spend a lot regardless of what I am making. My budget is pretty good but I want to work on grocery shopping and pregaming more to bring down my food/bars bills. The 'Cash' portion is really also just Bar Money as well, so a large chunk of my budget goes to clubbing and bar hopping smh. Also I want to cut back on the late night Ubers.

Steps to Create Graph
  1. I got the numbers from the budgeting tool that comes with my Credit Union but any source (Mint/Personal Capital/etc) works
  2. I manually typed in the categories & the numbers into Google Sheets.
  3. Click the 'Explore' star button in the bottom right hand corner of the page (or just hit 'Alt+Shift+X')
    1. This built in feature looks for insights in your data and auto-creates graphs for ya
  4. Copy/paste the graph & share w/ The Coli

Last edited:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
@Macallik86

What template did you use?
  1. I got the numbers from the budgeting tool that comes with my Credit Union but any source (Mint/Personal Capital/etc) works
  3. Click the 'Explore' star button in the bottom right hand corner of the page (or just hit 'Alt+Shift+X')
    1. This built in feature looks for insights in your data and auto-creates graphs for ya

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Bump. How is everyone doing in terms of budgeting in these times? My alcohol/bars/clubbing has fell through the floor and I canceled my transit pass since I'll be WFH indefinitely at this rate.

Last edited:

Yinny

I miss LLC Twitter
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La
I’m spending less on gas and tolls for obvious reasons. Everything else is the same-had to get my car fixed, insurance due next month. I’m alright.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Have yall made any post-covid adjustments to your budgets? I'm lucky enough to still have a gig and here are some changes I've made:
  • Since I started WFH, I stopped loading my pre-tax transit pass w/ $$$. Saves about $100/mo
  • Bumped up my 401K contribution to 10%
  • Since I'm in the house 24/7, I'm living off one paycheck and putting the rest in my brokerage account.

Yinny

I miss LLC Twitter
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La
I had an expensive month this month essentially clearing my backlog of things I needed increasingly as the shutdown goes on.

My EZpass is finally overall down from $90 auto-replenish to $70.

Food has gone down, takeout/restaurants down significantly. Entertainment budget is nil but it wasn’t significant in the first place-movies, dating (I don’t pay anyway but jic) are on indefinite pause.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
I got to take the time to do a graph one day.

I rent a one-bedroom apartment.
Transportation expenses is down of course.
My grocery and restaurant expense has remained the same. I just get takeout.
I fully contribute to my TSP (gov version of 401k), and a Roth IRA.
Every paycheck (bi-weekly) I have $300 go to a savings (some of which I use for stock and ETF investments).
$25 goes to a vacation fund every week.
I don't really shop much. I don't much care for fashion so a lot of stuff I wear is old. Wear it, wash it, wear it again lol.
I'm building my own PC so I'm buying different parts for it. Total for that will probably be $2000.

Kal El

All Star
Daps
Reppin
USA
After watching a few YouTube videos, I decided to crunch the numbers on my budget via Google Sheets for the first time in months. In terms of Housing, I rent a studio apartment FYI:

xXchdml.png

Overall, I'm one of those guys that is used to not having a lot of money, so I don't really spend a lot regardless of what I am making. My budget is pretty good but I want to work on grocery shopping and pregaming more to bring down my food/bars bills. The 'Cash' portion is really also just Bar Money as well, so a large chunk of my budget goes to clubbing and bar hopping smh. Also I want to cut back on the late night Ubers.

Steps to Create Graph
You're spending almost the same amount on food/bars as rent? :patrice:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
You're spending almost the same amount on food/bars as rent? :patrice:
Yessir. I've gone through periods where I was addicted to saving. I didn't hate my life in that period but it wasn't memorable. After a while, I decided I would automatically save a chunk and then the rest is cash for clubbing/dating/drinking.

Also, my rent is half of what I can afford to pay so that definitely helps my social life although my crib isn't the greatest when I manage to bring a girl back lol.

Last edited:

Kal El

All Star
Daps
Reppin
USA
Yessir. I've gone through periods where I was addicted to saving. I didn't hate my life in that period but it wasn't memorable. After a while, I decided I would automatically save a chunk and then the rest is cash for clubbing/dating/drinking.

Also, my rent is half of what I can afford to pay so that definitely helps my social life although my crib isn't the greatest when I manage to bring a girl back lol.
Lol I feel you man. I got a girl who is low maintenance so it definitely helps cut the expenses on eating/going out, but for a single breh I can get why it'd be a little higher.

Good thread idea, more people should be aware of where their money is going. I'll post my budget later.