Shaq's 2001 Dominance

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Shaq put 28, 12, and 2 blocks up in those 95 finals, so what are you really saying my guy?

What it comes down to is there's all this revisionist history when it comes to Shaq, b/c he's turned into a clown since retiring. Likewise, he had a lot of haters when he played too :yeshrug: is what it is.

What big from the 90s did Shaq not give the biz too? You out of your mind. He actively shyt on prime D Rob, Ewing, Zo, Dikembe etc.

Was that his BEST or did he save that for Rik Smits? Dream outscored him and led his squad to an upset sweep and that is your counterpoint? No one said he didn't put in work. The issue is the level of said work vs the competition. 28 when Dream is dropping 33. 24 when 2nd year Timothy is dropping 29 and leading his even less talented squad to yet another upset sweep. 38 when Rik Smits is giving you 10 though :mjlol:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Shaq put 28, 12, and 2 blocks up in those 95 finals, so what are you really saying my guy?

What it comes down to is there's all this revisionist history when it comes to Shaq, b/c he's turned into a clown since retiring. Likewise, he had a lot of haters when he played too :yeshrug: is what it is.

What big from the 90s did Shaq not give the biz too? You out of your mind. He actively shyt on prime D Rob, Ewing, Zo, Dikembe etc.

Except for Deke & Zo, they all gave him work too. Admiral, Dream, Ewing all had some great battles with Shaq. They were dropping 30+ on his head. When they declined, and he knew he was the best without question, he got lazy. He didn't guard the PnR because he didn't want too. He didn't improve on his FTs because he didn't want to. He actually got worse. he stopped rebounding because he didn't want to. His criticism is justified.

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
shaq and kobe was unfair

I was happy as fukk when they broke apart

kobe was psycho and shaq was equally wild

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm watching Game 1 of the 2001 Finals now (the Iverson game), and the one thing that always struck me...

Dikembe Mutombo was Defensive Player of the Year this season, and the man is one of the five greatest defensive centers ever, and literally made the Hall of Fame damn near strictly from his defense. And Shaq literally dragged him all series long, every time he caught the ball.

Has there ever been a legendary defensive player dominated like that during a series without there being an injury involved?? I'm assuming some people may say Hakeem against David Robinson back in '94, but I don't think that was this (even though to be fair, it's not like Shaq was expending his energy having to worry about Deke dropping 30 on him).

Yep....Hakeem dog walking David Robinson

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
I'm watching Game 1 of the 2001 Finals now (the Iverson game), and the one thing that always struck me...

Dikembe Mutombo was Defensive Player of the Year this season, and the man is one of the five greatest defensive centers ever, and literally made the Hall of Fame damn near strictly from his defense. And Shaq literally dragged him all series long, every time he caught the ball.

Has there ever been a legendary defensive player dominated like that during a series without there being an injury involved?? I'm assuming some people may say Hakeem against David Robinson back in '94, but I don't think that was this (even though to be fair, it's not like Shaq was expending his energy having to worry about Deke dropping 30 on him).
If Shaq went for the rebound instead of the block they would've swept.

Regardless Shaq was the Man. It helped he got away with elbowing everyone in the face :lolbron:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Shaq can legitimately argue he was the greatest player in NBA history if you want to go by peak performance.

This is a myth. I'm just saving a seat so I can return to it tomorrow (gotta get ready for work), but this isn't true at all...

Trust me bro, I've remarked on here and am definitely old enough to remember NBA Media proclaiming him "the most dominant player ever", in real time during the era you're describing. But it doesn't hold under scrutiny, and I never fully bought into it then ("most dominant player ever"?)

I'll be back tomorrow!