Shaq's 2001 Dominance

DatNkkaCutty

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
@ PA
I mean, I seen it in real time (freshman in HS), but it hits so different now. :wow:
Nggas actually believed AI could will the squad, past that juggernaut at that time (me included). :mjgrin::duck:

There was a video on Youtube some years back, w/ the highlights of AI, Kobe, and mostly Shaq, going point for point that series. Shaq was straight disrespecting them nggas that series. :picard:

That ngga was yammin on the Sixers, on some Donkey Kong shyt. :damn:

Thats what I remember most. It looked so dominate watchin it today, it didnt make sense. Around that time, there was nothin on earth, a ngga could've did to that man on the court. He was a cheat-code, and unguardable. On top of being too big, he was still nimble, and too explosive. He was SKYNET fully self-aware, no one could stop him, at that point too. :yeshrug:

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
shaq is the only player that could have been unanimous goat... if he wanted it

deep down you know he regrets some of that Lakers fukkery, even with the 3 chips. Another coach could never deal with those egos. After a while even Phil with his mind games and BS couldn’t even manage it anymore.

That team should’ve won 5 in something that resembles that 01 configuration. The Malone/Payton signings were a mistake and it’s not like they were the best pieces available at the time. shyt looked like the ghosts of people who got their asses beat by the Bulls.

En Sabah Nur

The First
Daps
Reppin
Survival of the fittest
that's bound to happen when you're 50 lbs bigger than the guy trying to guard you.

Yeah I remember how Oliver Miller was punishing nikkas :aicmon:
Pippen during the ‘96 ecf , 1st team all nba & 1st team defense got 25 ppg dropped on his overrated big humpty hump nose ass head by penny.been tryin to tell you revisionists bout pippen :sas2:

wasn’t a physical mismatch like shaq vs mutumbo either

Penny did his thing in that series.....but I don't see how this is even in the same conversation as Shaq 01. And his team got swept:dahell:

god shamgod

Veteran
Daps
Yeah I remember how Oliver Miller was punishing nikkas :aicmon:

Penny did his thing in that series.....but I don't see how this is even in the same conversation as Shaq 01. And his team got swept:dahell:

That was an all time great bulls team &the magic had injuries that series

magic beat the bulls earlier that season without shaq.Penny dropped 36 primarily on pippen head That game

inndaskKy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Shaq's dominance has always been overstated but whatever. I know many people disagree. He just looked the most dominant because of how big/bulky he was.

Nothing about his dominance is clearly greater than Wilt's, Kareem's, Hakeem's, Jordan's, LeBron's etc.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Bad matchup for Mutumbo all the way around. He was a wiry guy...and was at his best meeting nikkas at the rim...the GOAT weak side defender. Shaq not only took that away by forcing him to check him in the post but he didn’t have the strength to bang wit Shaq...nikka was straight getting tossed. Vlade actually did a better job cause at least he had some mass to absorb that punishment...

Deke wasn't just weak side, though. He guarded other C's straight up. The weakside was because his recovery time was so on point..he'd block his own man's shot, then block the weak side put back.

Shaq was a bad matchup for Deke though, because he didn't face up at all at that point. It was sheer power post play and drop steps, so Deke really never had a chance at his strengths. Deke was strong, but Shaq was going right through him, shoulder to chest.

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
I'm watching Game 1 of the 2001 Finals now (the Iverson game), and the one thing that always struck me...

Dikembe Mutombo was Defensive Player of the Year this season, and the man is one of the five greatest defensive centers ever, and literally made the Hall of Fame damn near strictly from his defense. And Shaq literally dragged him all series long, every time he caught the ball.

Has there ever been a legendary defensive player dominated like that during a series without there being an injury involved?? I'm assuming some people may say Hakeem against David Robinson back in '94, but I don't think that was this (even though to be fair, it's not like Shaq was expending his energy having to worry about Deke dropping 30 on him).
Shaq in 'Big Diesel times was unstoppable. Insane any human that big could move that way. He embarrassed and humiliated Dikembe. Pretty much everyone during that era.