Shaq's 2001 Dominance

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm watching Game 1 of the 2001 Finals now (the Iverson game), and the one thing that always struck me...

Dikembe Mutombo was Defensive Player of the Year this season, and the man is one of the five greatest defensive centers ever, and literally made the Hall of Fame damn near strictly from his defense. And Shaq literally dragged him all series long, every time he caught the ball.

Has there ever been a legendary defensive player dominated like that during a series without there being an injury involved?? I'm assuming some people may say Hakeem against David Robinson back in '94, but I don't think that was this (even though to be fair, it's not like Shaq was expending his energy having to worry about Deke dropping 30 on him).

steph_harden

Superstar
Daps
Bad matchup for Mutumbo all the way around. He was a wiry guy...and was at his best meeting nikkas at the rim...the GOAT weak side defender. Shaq not only took that away by forcing him to check him in the post but he didn’t have the strength to bang wit Shaq...nikka was straight getting tossed. Vlade actually did a better job cause at least he had some mass to absorb that punishment...

Mandizi

5-I-3 till I D-I-E
Daps
Reppin
Cincy
I'm watching Game 1 of the 2001 Finals now (the Iverson game), and the one thing that always struck me...

Dikembe Mutombo was Defensive Player of the Year this season, and the man is one of the five greatest defensive centers ever, and literally made the Hall of Fame damn near strictly from his defense. And Shaq literally dragged him all series long, every time he caught the ball.

Has there ever been a legendary defensive player dominated like that during a series without there being an injury involved?? I'm assuming some people may say Hakeem against David Robinson back in '94, but I don't think that was this (even though to be fair, it's not like Shaq was expending his energy having to worry about Deke dropping 30 on him).

Out of curiosity, who's your top five greatest defensive centers ever?

In reply to the topic, Shaq was the most physically dominant force in NBA history during that era. When fully motivated and in shape, no one could stop him.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The bolded. Heck a lot of people would say that Shaq underachieved.
Yeah, I get why they say it, but Shaq can legitimately argue he was the greatest player in NBA history if you want to go by peak performance. It's hard to fault a guy for not giving max effort for his whole career and improving on every weakness he had (which is why people argue he underachieved) when at his best there was literally no challenges for him on an individual level when he was in his prime.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Out of curiosity, who's your top five greatest defensive centers ever?

In reply to the topic, Shaq was the most physically dominant force in NBA history during that era. When fully motivated and in shape, no one could stop him.
I go modern era, so I try to keep my lists within the last 40 years (so no Russell or Wilt, etc.) I have (no order) Dikembe, Hakeem, Ben Wallace, Dwight, and David Robinson. I personally have Alonzo and Duncan right outside of the list. I may be missing someone obvious, this is off the top of my head.

Mandizi

5-I-3 till I D-I-E
Daps
Reppin
Cincy
I go modern era, so I try to keep my lists within the last 40 years (so no Russell or Wilt, etc.) I have (no order) Dikembe, Hakeem, Ben Wallace, Dwight, and David Robinson. I personally have Alonzo and Duncan right outside of the list. I may be missing someone obvious, this is off the top of my head.

Those were the same players I thought of as well (except for Duncan due to the "controversial" coli argument). If there was a top 10 list, I would include Ewing also.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Those were the same players I thought of as well (except for Duncan due to the "controversial" coli argument). If there was a top 10 list, I would include Ewing also.
Ewing, Marc Gasol, and maybe Marcus Camby would round out my list. Never been a Gobert fan but I do recognize he's in the argument. Mark Eaton needs to be on my list somewhere. Damn, now I've gone down this rabbit hole lol.

god shamgod

Veteran
Daps
Pippen during the ‘96 ecf , 1st team all nba & 1st team defense got 25 ppg dropped on his overrated big humpty hump nose ass head by penny.been tryin to tell you revisionists bout pippen :sas2:

wasn’t a physical mismatch like shaq vs mutumbo either

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Pippen during the ‘96 ecf , 1st team all nba & 1st team defense got 25 ppg dropped on his overrated big humpty hump nose ass head by penny.been tryin to tell you revisionists bout pippen :sas2:

wasn’t a physical mismatch like shaq vs mutumbo either
LeBron used to give that Klay/Iggy/Dray triumvirate that work in those Finals series too, but that Shaq shyt just felt different lol. Like the defense never had a chance going in. The physical mismatch is definitely the biggest part of it.

steph_harden

Superstar
Daps
Ewing, Marc Gasol, and maybe Marcus Camby would round out my list. Never been a Gobert fan but I do recognize he's in the argument. Mark Eaton needs to be on my list somewhere. Damn, now I've gone down this rabbit hole lol.

Hobert is All defense every year but he got destroyed by Jokic. So yea that’s a good one..

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

nice to see someone who hasn’t forgot about Dwight’s past.