Shakur Stevenson: "If Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard were to box today, people would call them runners"

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps

5:10

- "I've had fights where I was in the pocket, and was criticized for being flat footed and standing in front of guys too much. Now the criticism has flipped"
- "Look at how Muhammad Ali boxed, floating like a butterfly. Media/Fans now would have called him a runner with the way he moved in the ring"
- "Look at how Sugar Ray Leonard fought, especially in the 2nd Duran fight. Everyone who watched it during that time thought it was a brilliant game plan. He made Roberto Duran quit. But nowadays they casuals would be calling him a runner"
- "Casuals today would have saw that fight and say, man I would have quit too. Who would want to chase Sugar Ray around the ring like that?"

nope-no.gif

But is he wrong?

5EmNE_.gif

6VFDNL.gif

main-qimg-f937298b14e73d4027b28d8b696352d3

Alot of modern day Boxing fans give off casual energy where they don't appreciate the sweet science anymore

Nostalgic

Superstar
Daps
Thank you for making Shakur Stevenson's point :pachaha:
I'll be honest I didn't watch the video.

It's not making sense. A boxer that got diagnosed with Parkinson's disease because many believed he took too many punches to the head is considered a runner?? That's like saying a track star is the fastest but they keep coming in last place.

Maybe during Ali's prime he might've been considered a runner but that would be one hell of a stretch......

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
Nah Sugar would fight when needed and could legit hurt people

He fought Duran toe to toe in the first fight. Switched from boxer to puncher and walked Tommy Hearns down and KO'd him in their first fight

Yeah. Leonard, especially at 147, was primarily more of a flat flooted boxer who circled the ring and looked to open up with combos. He’s one of the best finishers ever.

The Duran rematch (and dreadful 3rd fight) and Hagler fight might make people think the dancing was his usual style, but it wasn’t.

Boonapalist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lakers
Yeah. Leonard, especially at 147, was primarily more of a flat flooted boxer who circled the ring and looked to open up with combos. He’s one of the best finishers ever.

The Duran rematch (and dreadful 3rd fight) and Hagler fight might make people think the dancing was his usual style, but it wasn’t.
I rewatched his fight against Ayub Kalule recently. And once he had Kalule in trouble he went right in for the kill. He was going toe to toe with him the whole fight