Shadow of the Tomb Raider next gen patch: PS4 Pro destroys XSS, PS5 destroys XSX

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
Generation is determined by release time not hardware strength.
This is overly simplistic. Games are meant to perform at more or less parity across both systems in any generation. The Series S has significantly lowered the bar of what's expected from consoles this gen. And given that the Digital PS5 is only $100 more for more than twice the horsepower and nearly twice the storage, it's not even economically enticing enough to justify its existence

Before someone says that games are designed with low end PCs in mind, the newer games have pretty high minimum requirements so clearly PC isn't what's going to be bottlenecking this generation

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This is overly simplistic. Games are meant to perform at more or less parity across both systems in any generation. The Series S has significantly lowered the bar of what's expected from consoles this gen. And given that the Digital PS5 is only $100 more for more than twice the horsepower and nearly twice the storage, it's not even economically enticing enough to justify its existence

Before someone says that games are designed with low end PCs in mind, the newer games have pretty high minimum requirements so clearly PC isn't what's going to be bottlenecking this generation

I think the only thing that truly makes it ‘next gen’ is that you can ultimately play next gen only games on it. although they prob gotta do just as much work getting them to run on it as they would the one x but the one x is tied to the vanilla models.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
I think the only thing that truly makes it ‘next gen’ is that you can ultimately play next gen only games on it. although they prob gotta do just as much work getting them to run on it as they would the one x but the one x is tied to the vanilla models.
At least with the One X they have an excuse to stop supporting it by 2022. Developers are gonna be too terrified of toxic Series S owners to abandon it so they're gonna have to keep nerfing their games for the next 7 years :smh:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
At least with the One X they have an excuse to stop supporting it by 2022. Developers are gonna be too terrified of toxic Series S owners to abandon it so they're gonna have to keep nerfing their games for the next 7 years :smh:

I do wonder what happens if they stop production on them mid gen…are they gonna have a slim series x AND the series s? Are they just gonna stop scaling games down for it once production on them stops? There’s gonna come a time when games push the ps5 and series x to its limits toward the final years of the console, like what happened with control, and cyberpunk, borderlands 3 on ps4 and Xbox one vanilla consoles. When then becomes of the series s? Are 3rd parties really gonna scale down that much toward end when pro models could possibly be out?

the series s already has trouble with games 8 months in, it struggled with this and resident evil 8 and they’re cross gen.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
I do wonder what happens if they stop production on them mid gen…are they gonna have a slim series x AND the series s? Are they just gonna stop scaling games down for it once production on them stops? There’s gonna come a time when games push the ps5 and series x to its limits toward the final years of the console, like what happened with control, and cyberpunk, borderlands 3 on ps4 and Xbox one vanilla consoles. When then becomes of the series s? Are 3rd parties really gonna scale down that much toward end when pro models could possibly be out?

the series s already has trouble with games 8 months in, it struggled with this and resident evil 8 and their cross gen.
They could maybe offer Series S owners cloud support for free and discontinue production. That's the only sane path forward.

For all of this talk of Microsoft's deep pockets, Sony took a much bigger financial hit on their digital edition at $399. A $399 digital Series X would have been a home run for MS. These people love snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
They could maybe offer Series S owners cloud support for free and discontinue production. That's the only sane path forward.

For all of this talk of Microsoft's deep pockets, Sony took a much bigger financial hit on their digital edition at $399. A $399 digital Series X would have been a home run for MS. These people love snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I saw the guy from digital foundry say a disc drive would have saved it, and I think just a digital version of the x makes more sense. For all the weird hardware decisions you can knock Sony for the digital ps5 was a home run of an idea. I still wish I got the digital.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
I saw the guy from digital foundry say a disc drive would have saved it, and I think just a digital version of the x makes more sense. For all the weird hardware decisions you can knock Sony for the digital ps5 was a home run of an idea. I still wish I got the digital.
Lol, why? Because the digital PS5 is sexier?

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

the series s already has trouble with games 8 months in, it struggled with this and resident evil 8 and they’re cross gen.
Here at Xbox, we understand what gamers want. When the time comes that current games wont run well, our talented studios will scale them appropriately in order for everyone to enjoy. The secret sauce in our formula is something we like to call “Microsoft Magic”. Feel free to check out the demo below as an example of the great types of gameplay you can experience on an underpowered console with Microsoft Magic enabled.
f5KBdwi_d.webp

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Here at Xbox, we understand what gamers want. When the time comes that current games wont run well, our talented studios will scale them appropriately in order for everyone to enjoy. The secret sauce in our formula is something we like to call “Microsoft Magic”. Feel free to check out the demo below as an example of the great types of gameplay you can experience on an underpowered console with Microsoft Magic enabled.
f5KBdwi_d.webp

looks like a 10/10 indie goty, just need some nice acoustic music playing

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
f5KBdwi_d.webp

Holy shyt, you ruined The Witcher 3 for me :dwillhuh:

I'll never be able to unsee BALD yennefer

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I doubt Sony is taking a deeper financial hit on the Digital PS5. Microsoft is likely losing more on the Series S.