Sebastian Telfair Goes Off On NBA Players Saying It’s Not About “Winning The Finals, It’s About Building Wealth”

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
The thumbnail says part 20. Nope, I'm not clicking. Isn't he the guy who got caught in airport with illegal submachine gun and ammo in his bag? Or some shyt like that. Vlad and these losers always find a way to create interviews, he was probably hoping for some snitching to happen in between those 20 parts of the interview.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
I really don't want to act like I don't believe you, but...do you have a link?
Why would you. Forgot the link, as the “as you can see”

Note that an organizations costs for loans aren’t included.

Where operating income approximately is profit before deducting taxes and interest rates.

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps
Y’all shouldn’t underestimate people, really he could have some deep shyt to say for real, just cause he may be a failure in your eyes as an athlete he still can provide clarity and wisdom on some things
You know this is the coli where everyone is the top 10% of the talented tenth.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Y’all shouldn’t underestimate people, really he could have some deep shyt to say for real, just cause he may be a failure in your eyes as an athlete he still can provide clarity and wisdom on some things
I don't believe people think he's a failure as an athlete foremost, but more so a failure in his off court choices.

The black community is the only is the only place where crooks like this dude are promoted like wise people you should listen to. Ish from JBP, Envy and Cesar are promoted as our versions of real estate titans and shyt like that. It's kinda annoying and dumbing down our community. Like if you ain't famous for the shyt you are talking about, please don't talk about it, it's irresponsible. Like when I saw Ish being promoted as a real estate mogul knowing damn well he's only on there cause he's on JBP and should be promoted as a podcaster. That's why this new age of irresponsible media with podcasts, social media and youtube shows is dangerous.

Last edited:

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Was that his motivation for scamming them, “they should’ve paid me more” :mjlol:

Most NBA teams allegedly don’t even make any major profit. So I don’t know how the players possibly could make more money from sports with their contracts.

It’s mad annoying when dudes say that motherfukkers making more than the worlds biggest ceos aren’t making any real bread :snoop:
Also why should anyone judge them by their financial situation, it’s called personal finance for a reason. Our interaction with them should be what they sell us, which is their basketball skills/entertainment.

Doesn't really matter to some of the owners. The value is in the resale price. Once you (correctly) treat sports teams like art pieces, the business makes sense.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Doesn't really matter to some of the owners. The value is in the resale price. Once you (correctly) treat sports teams like art pieces, the business makes sense.
Exactly.

It works as long as wealth increases and even more so if inequality keeps on increasing so that billionaires take even larger portion of the worlds capital. Then objects they want will keep on increasing more than the total wealth increases, relatively speaking.

But of course, if the world one day starts taxing them or the demand for sports teams fades, so will the values.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Why would you. Forgot the link, as the “as you can see”

Note that an organizations costs for loans aren’t included.

Where operating income approximately is profit before deducting taxes and interest rates.

Props, thx breh.

Can't lie I'm kind of surprised at these numbers : "Average team profits, as measured by earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization, fell only 12% to $62 million". But the fact that the estimated "value" of every singe NBA team is over a billion dollars makes me believe that there's more to "just" considering profits when considering how much money team owners are making. I assume it's more about building up "value" in order to resell down the line than actual yearly profits maybe. Just another form of financial speculation.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Props, thx breh.

Can't lie I'm kind of surprised at these numbers : "Average team profits, as measured by earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization, fell only 12% to $62 million". But the fact that the estimated "value" of every singe NBA team is over a billion dollars makes me believe that there's more to "just" considering profits when considering how much money team owners are making. I assume it's more about building up "value" in order to resell down the line than actual yearly profits maybe. Just another form of financial speculation.
I'm thinking that it's like art.

Picasso paintings move for 100s of millions for people just to have them in their homes and show their other rich friends how cool shyt they have, or just to look at the beauty every morning. But they also know that other rich guys will want it in the future, so the value will maintain or increase.

Same thing with sports teams, you are already rich as fukk and just want to live out your dreams of having your own team instead of just watching from home like a normal mortal. And in the end of it, you know that other rich guys will wanna do that in the future as well so you are practically doing it for free cause historically the price increased like index or more (I'd assume)

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
I'm thinking that it's like art.

Picasso paintings move for 100s of millions for people just to have them in their homes and show their other rich friends how cool shyt they have, or just to look at the beauty every morning. But they also know that other rich guys will want it in the future, so the value will maintain or increase.

Same thing with sports teams, you are already rich as fukk and just want to live out your dreams of having your own team instead of just watching from home like a normal mortal. And in the end of it, you know that other rich guys will wanna do that in the future as well so you are practically doing it for free cause historically the price increased like index or more (I'd assume)

That perspective indeed makes a whole lot of sense :ehh:

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Was that his motivation for scamming them, “they should’ve paid me more” :mjlol:

Most NBA teams allegedly don’t even make any major profit. So I don’t know how the players possibly could make more money from sports with their contracts.

It’s mad annoying when dudes say that motherfukkers making more than the worlds biggest ceos aren’t making any real bread :snoop:
Also why should anyone judge them by their financial situation, it’s called personal finance for a reason. Our interaction with them should be what they sell us, which is their basketball skills/entertainment.
You’re being misled by this.

What profit do you need to generate on a yearly basis when your the value of your actual investment is increasing exponentially??

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Props, thx breh.

Also, always found it interesting that Jay made the jump from ownership, I know minority, to agency.

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Also, forget the messenger. His message is important. Sports is a business. Treat it as such.

Numerous baseball players have done this. Forget names but between football and baseball, a hall of gamer said he stuck with baseball cause it was a business decision. Same way he did his contracts.

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
He’s talking to a known culture vulture
That loves getting nikkas to jam themselves up on camera :skip:
Then hes sounding like a coli militant in front of this Russian cracker:skip:
What I woulda did ass nikka while wearing a Louis Vuitton Fleece :skip:
This really the hill you want to die on :Kd:

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Some NBA teams are "losing money." We talk how this argument on its own is already silly, and how the way the NBA is structured makes it even more ridiculous. Also, saying your team, an asset, is losing money if it appreciates in value, is, well, something. Also, the throwback to Malcolm Gladwell's point that owning an NBA team is akin to owning a piece of art. It gives the owner pleasure, and it's silly to treat it as an investment.

From 2011:

Basketball teams, of course, look like businesses. They have employees and customers and offices and a product, and they tend to be owned, in the manner of most American businesses, by rich white men. But scratch the surface and the similarities disappear. Pro sports teams don’t operate in a free market, the way real businesses do. Their employees are 25 years old and make millions of dollars a year. Their customers are obsessively loyal and emotionally engaged in their fortunes to the point that — were the business in question, say, discount retailing or lawn products — it would be considered psychologically unhealthy. They get to control their labor through the draft in a way that would be the envy of other private sector owners, at least since the Civil War. And they are treated by governments with unmatched generosity. Congress gives professional baseball an antitrust exemption. Since 2000, there have been eight basketball stadiums either built or renovated for NBA teams at a cost of $2 billion — and $1.75 billion of that came from public funds.4 And did you know that under the federal tax code the NFL is classified as a nonprofit organization?5 Big genial Roger Goodell, he of the almost $4 billion in television contracts, makes like he’s the United Way.

Pro sports teams are a lot like works of art. Forbes magazine annually estimates the value of every professional franchise, based on standard financial metrics like operating expenses, ticket sales, revenue, and physical assets like stadiums. When sports teams change hands, however, the actual sales price is invariably higher. Forbes valued the Detroit Pistons at $360 million. They just sold for $420 million. Forbes valued the Wizards at $322 million. They just sold for $551 million. Forbes said that the Warriors were worth $363 million. They just sold for $450 million. There are a number of reasons why the Forbes number is consistently too low. The simplest is that Forbes is evaluating franchises strictly as businesses. But they are being bought by people who care passionately about sports — and the $90 million premium that the Warriors’ new owners were willing to pay represents the psychic benefit of owning a sports team. If that seems like a lot, it shouldn’t. There aren’t many NBA franchises out there, and they are very beautiful.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
It’s Forbes so obviously it’s estimates and “insiders with knowledge”. As you can see most teams make less than Dame Lillard. Just like Greenbay the only public NFL teams average operating income was not much larger than Mahomes salary.

But somehow people love to say, “if the players are making x imagine what the billionaires are making”. They make money from side shyt like property investments and the appreciation, the latter is just like gold or paintings. Gold and art won’t give you any dividends so how can billionaires spend billions on it… at least it’s a hobby which historically means that you’ll get more back than you paid for it. Unlike a yacht.
NFL owners make money through power over local government and land grabs.

Sport is a vehicle.

Sayung that, no one loses money in American pro sports because of the cartel scheme called revenue sharing.