Scottie Beam says she's self made. Oh really...?

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

:weebaynanimated::weebaynanimated::weebaynanimated::weebaynanimated:

https://www.sagaftra.org/broadcast-spotlight-shaila-scott

Broadcast Spotlight: Shaila Scott

Local News

ShailaHiRes2018headshot.jpeg

June 1, 2018
Jeff Spurgeon

Shaila Scott has a lot to celebrate in 2018. This is her 30th year on the radio in New York City, currently as midday host on WBLS, the station this Harlem native grew up listening to.

While in high school, Shaila was inspired to be a broadcaster when she met longtime ABC-TV weatherman Spencer Christian at a career-day event. She asked him for a tour of ABC’s Channel 7 studios. “The people I met there said they never felt they worked a day in their life because they loved what they did,” she said. Shaila attended SUNY College at Buffalo. “I knew that I was going to major in broadcasting, but I didn’t know if it was TV or radio or journalism. At a contest at school, one of the judges was a disc jockey at WBLK, and he said there was a part-time job. So I went to the radio production center, did a couple of spots and a commercial. I also had to change my New York City accent. For a supermarket commercial I said, ‘ahr-un-jezz’ for ‘oranges’, and was told you can’t say ‘ahr-un-jezz’ here! A month later, they offered me overnights, so I took that and went to school part-time. I finished college a year later than I would have, but it was worth it.”

She was frustrated in her early attempts to come back to New York City. She sent 11 audition tapes to WBLS and never got a response, even though one of the tapes had been hand-delivered by a friend who worked at the company. She decided to train to be a flight attendant and look for work in other markets: “I’ll drop my tapes all over the country for free,” she said. Then came the break she was hoping for. “My last day in Buffalo, I told my listeners I was leaving and opened up the phone lines. On the request line was [WBLS Program Director] B.K. Kirkland.” She thought the call was a prank, but became a believer when Kirkland mentioned Sylvia Schoultz, the friend who had delivered her audition tape. Shaila returned home to New York to start working one day a week at WBLS, where she was mentored by, among others, legendary New York disc jockeys Vaughn Harper (“my radio daddy,” she calls him) and Frankie Crocker. In the 30 years since, she’s worked at WBLS, KISS-FM and now on a second stint at WBLS.

Shaila has an inviting, easygoing and enthusiastic on-air sound, but her audience connection goes deeper. Even at the beginning of her career, she would conclude each airshift with an uplifting message, a “progressive thought,” as she calls it. One day a listener told her, “I was contemplating suicide, and hearing what you said made me look at things differently. It changed my life.” Another listener, recognizing her in a store, burst into tears, telling Shaila that one of those messages (now called the “Sisterly Kiss”) had helped restore her relationship with her son. The deep reach of these listener connections inspired Shaila to create Shaila’s Sisterly Kiss, an organization that has raised money and awareness for breast cancer research, AIDS prevention and other charities. This year will mark the 10th annual Sisterly Kiss Mother’s Day Spa Party, a benefit for victims of domestic violence who are treated to a day of manicures, makeovers and motivational speakers.

Shaila is increasingly grateful for union presence in her career. “[SAG-AFTRA Assistant Executive Director, Labor Counsel] Peter Fuster is such a blessing in my life. I was glad that I joined the union, but I didn’t really understand what they do for us until I saw how [then-]AFTRA helped Vaughn when he got sick and had challenges on the job. Vaughn held the union in such high regard. He said, ‘If it wasn’t for the union, I don’t know what I would do.’”

As she celebrates three decades on New York’s airwaves, Shaila is grateful for the people she’s met along the way, starting with her mentors. She’s helping to build the next generation of performers, too. Her daughter, Scottie Beam, is a radio and television personality, podcaster and social-media “influencer,” who, Shaila says, is finding her own path to success in today’s media environment. And she treasures the colleagues of her own generation. “One thing about New York radio, to me, it’s all been like family. We can be on competing radio stations, we’re all trying to get the best ratings we possibly can, but at the end of the day, we’re just genuine friends. I am so grateful for those friendships.”

— By SAG-AFTRA National and New York Local Board member Jeff Spurgeon for the New York Local newsletter.

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
Jesus fukking Christ Napoleon :snoop:

This exact twitter post was already discussed at length in another thread earlier.

You just got unbushed less than a week ago, and you’re already back to your shytposting old ways. Taking a single tweet + copy+pasting an entire article and thinking that makes a good thread.

If you’re going to insist on spamming threads all day, can you at least learn how to make a succinct, original fukking point on your own, instead of just dumping a wall of text that somebody else wrote.

:stopitslime:

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I mean, nobody really makes it own their own, fortune has a major role.

Everybody on this planet and everyone who came before them are/were affected by world events and makes decisions based on what the world is showing them in particular.

Last edited:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Jesus fukking Christ Napoleon :snoop:

This exact twitter post was already discussed at length in another thread earlier.

You just got unbushed less than a week ago, and you’re already back to your shytposting old ways. Taking a single tweet + copy+pasting an entire article and thinking that makes a good thread.

If you’re going to insist on spamming threads all day, can you at least learn how to make a succinct, original fukking point on your own, instead of just dumping a wall of text that somebody else wrote.

:stopitslime:
you really are stupid.

first off, thats her SAG AFTA biography

Second of all, block me instead of whining like a COMPLETE loser

third of all, why are you so fukking important?

NV-ME

Make It Hot-ta
Daps
Reppin
FiyaStarter
Beautiful girl, but she is awful on SOTC, always seems mad and depressed...might be the reason or the result of that massive weight gain.

Skin is still immaculate though.
preach, brother.

i go between wanting to give her a big hug and the biggest head shake on any given day when i hear her speak about anything concerning women/lgbtq/anything a man can be accused of. i cant watch that show. sports is frustrating enough. i think she said she was/is going to therapy. boy does she need it. lots of anger and resentment that didnt seem like it was getting the attention it deserved, last i heard from her.

• Dap
Reactions: Rev

Marlo Barksdale

Really out chea
Daps
Reppin
Tha M
i think she said she was/is going to therapy. boy does she need it. lots of anger and resentment that didnt seem like it was getting the attention it deserved, last i heard from her.

She has admitted to having mental breakdowns and deep depression. She's got a gang of issues that need to be addressed and she needs help.

She got problems that need deep therapy. And I'm saying that not to diss but being realistic. If you've listened to her talk about her life you'll hear how lost she is. Dangerous to give people like that a mic when they truly need counseling. She really does hate Black men something serious.

Here's a podcast of her telling her life story and how she had depression.

The stuff she said on her group podcast about Black men is:stopitslime::picard::gucci::martin::patrice::merchant:

NV-ME

Make It Hot-ta
Daps
Reppin
FiyaStarter
She has admitted to having mental breakdowns and deep depression. She's got a gang of issues that need to be addressed and she needs help.

She got problems that need deep therapy. And I'm saying that not to diss but being realistic. If you've listened to her talk about her life you'll hear how lost she is. Dangerous to give people like that a mic when they truly need counseling. She really does hate Black men something serious.

Here's a podcast of her telling her life story and how she had depression.

i'll check it out. heard her on the all girl podcast which is why although i could & would be more critical w/ some random chick, i'll shoot her a lil bail. that's why i really dont check for that show, because its only so much a nigg@ wanna hear about how fukked up he is. the black men aint shyt-shyt is really getting old and lazy when the other side decides not to own their shyt. and not in "theory," but like, apply it to real life situations. "oh, its a arse load of evidence, maybe jussie is fukking lying!"