Scorsese says obsession over box office is repulsive and insulting

Bar Razor

All Star
Daps
It's no different than people obsessing over rapper's numbers. Growing up, we paid attention to whether an artist went Gold or Platinum, but it was more like a passing "thats' cool". Then it transitioned into who sold what and drilling down into first week this, number of streams that, as if that has anything to do with the quality of the music.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
He’s right

If you are making movies solely for box office numbers, then the art is dead because art is not about profit.

major studios do not take as many risks today because of that. That’s why a lot of the real creatives have moved to TV and streaming channels.

Agreed.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
He ain’t wrong, art ain’t as creative when you only thinking about money but at the same time people gotta make some money too. You can’t keep putting out flops and think people gone keep fukking with you

It's like anything...balance.

JamesJabdi

Superstar
Daps
Box office has always been important....idk why he acting like this shyt is brand new, when he personally knows George Lucas and Spielberg the OG's of the box office smashs. He got popping around the same time Jaws and Star Wars was released. You can argue that box office actually means LESS nowadays....thanks to streaming services. Netflix is the biggest movie producer/studio right now and they couldn't care less about box office....hell they only release their movies in to the cinema to get awards consideration.

We ain't see this box office talk, when Wolf of Walstreet made 400 mill:sas1:

Dump Gawd

Im Exactly What You Think
Daps
Reppin
The 6ix
Scorsese is talking about Execs

really nothing wrong with what he said, a lot of the old head directors

gotta make exclusive deals with streaming companies to make films now

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
man...this is a business but... When you are Scorsese i guess Box office numbers dont matter to you. The studios will still give you money to make your movie. just like legends in the music business dont rly care about record sales anymore:yeshrug: they just drop albums out of nowhere, no promo, nothing.

But why are ppl so quick to bring Marvel up?
Think that Martin scorsese is jealous of Thor love and thunder and The Ant man and the wasp :francis:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
man...this is a business but... When you are Scorsese i guess Box office numbers dont matter to you. The studios will still give you money to make your movie. just like legends in the music business dont rly care about record sales anymore:yeshrug: they just drop albums out of nowhere, no promo, nothing.

But why are ppl so quick to bring Marvel up?
Think that Martin scorsese is jealous of Thor love and thunder and The Ant man and the wasp :francis:
His last movie was on Netflix and Marvel movies get a huge movie theaters release. I'm sure he wished it was the opposite.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
There is already an example of what’s happening with movies out there, the video game market. Videogames in the arcade used to have 3 things going for them, they were relatively cheap to make, cheap to play, and they offered an experience you absolutely could not get at home. Some shyt we look at as basic today like Pac-Man or Galaga could not be replicated anywhere else. Manufacturers could afford to take risks because the games were cheap to make and there wasnt much competition.

Today though games are extremely expensive to make and folks can play games just as impressive at home. So to get people to an arcade there needs to be another draw like food, beer, prizes, etc.... A basic game is not enough to pull people. So developers are not going to make an expensive ass game and put it exclusively in the arcade to flop.

Same thing with movies. If im spending 15 bucks per ticket then add in everything else then you better be offering something i cant get at home. The Top Gun, Marvel, Fast and Furious, etc....type movies are showing stunts and effects im not getting at home on TV. People will pay to see that. A story about some crooked Italians, yeah i can see that all day on a myriad of channels and streaming services. I aint leaving the house for that. Movie studios know that, so they aint giving these directors a ton of money to make something folks will wait for HBO Max to watch or are already seeing something similar on FX.

Back in 1976 when Taxi Driver released people had TVs that were an actual piece of furniture and averaged 27 inches, you damn right they going to the movies. Now, folks have 60-70 inch 4K tvs with the ability to pirate anything they want. Again, you better be offering an experience i cant get at home if you want me to see your movie in the theater.

Last edited: