School offers mother of severely autistic student $86,000 to keep him away

Da King

Veteran
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
  • Heather Houston wants her son David, 21, who is mute and has diabetes, to attend school in Yuba City, California
article-2412313-1BA309C8000005DC-126_634x660.jpg

Poor kid autistic and at 21 his hairline already :flabbynsick:

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
I have a four yr old autistic son and he was recently put out of his pre school because the teacher "couldn't handle him." My son is considered at the low end of the spectrum (mainly only exhibits some anti social behaviour and he has trouble communicating.) However he has spent his his whole school life in regular schools without any trouble. But this teacher decides two days into the school yr she can't deal with him.........

I've had him seen by doctors and they all recommend that he remains in a regular school system because he is at the low end of the spectrum and going to a specialized school with kids who are on the higher end will only stunt his development. I'm between a rock and a hard place because going to a regular he obviously is going to need abit more attention than what some lazy ass teachers are willing to give him......

:to: keep ya head up

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sad story.

I don't know about yall but my one (and only) fear of having a child is them being gay, autistic or some sort of disability/conflict that makes them stand out differently than others. Not that I would love them less, just more pressure on them in society.

WhenWeWereKings

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Breh, I'm gonna tell you something that may offend you and I'm sorry... but a single teacher can't spend all their attention on your son at the expense of the learning time and attention of other students. While the pre-school teacher should have given him a chance, she may not be equipped to work with students with special needs. Were the teachers in that pre K certified in special education? Would you be ok with him having an IEP?

Sounds like your son is intellectually on track and could probably thrive in a regular classroom (mainstreamed...with a special ed teacher in the class too) but he is going to need some support. Insisting on him being in a class without support probably won't work too well.

Na man its nothing to get offended over and I agree with you.I don't expect her to neglect the majority for one student. I'm a realist.

My main concern was after two days she threw in the towel. It's a new teacher and it takes him a few days to get adjusted to people he does not know. Once he does he's fine. Because of his problems communicating verbally he gets frustrated sometimes. He would either not participate in class activities (go sit in a corner by himself) or shout in class. I understand it's not an easy thing to deal with if you are not trained for it. However the school was well aware of my son's condition as this is his second year there. While in k3 there was a teacher's aid assigned to the class and I was under the impression that was their standard operating procedure. (guess that's why it's not good to assume.)

Not familiar with the term (IEP) can you break that down for me please?

By most indications given from doctors he should be able to function in a regular classroom. I have him enrolled in speech therapy sessions twice a week so that should definitely improve his communication and social skills.

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
I have an autistic brother and despite what you hear, he's not disruptive. It is hard to communicate with them when something is wrong and they blow up. Some ppl (especially those who aren't used to small children) won't know how to calm them down and solve the problem but trust me, I've been watching my brother for years now and as long as you can asses the situation and calm them down, they're not that hard to deal with. Unless they're the angry, strong hulk type but I honestly believe that comes from bad parenting.