Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
just had to add, britain took part in firebombing dresden, which killed between 25,000 to 135,000 people. when it comes to the west, war crimes are reserved for people who lose power after the war and get captured. the west became unbeatable after ww2, so if anybody in the western world is going to be punished for a war crime, it will be lower level troops tried by the country's own justice system. abu ghraib and my lai come to mind. we tried our own because nobody in international courts can actually put hands on us, and we made sure to only blame the pawns in the war and rarely ever high officers, intelligence officials, or policy makers. this is more about politics than actually caring about human decency, but we are good at moralizing against other people.

as for ukraine, they didnt ask for this war and are fighting against tough odds, so while i dont support war crimes, i can overlook it because they have good reason to be angry, desperate, traumatized, and afraid - the conditions that usually cause out of control behavior. also, they have a large number of volunteers and men conscripted by force to stay in the country, so the standard of an all professional army is not really to be expected among these various neighborhood militias and foreign adventure seekers. the ukraine regulars should be held to higher standard, though.
This is a very fair take. War crimes aren’t okay. Ever. And at the same time, Ukraine was invaded by a much larger and stronger force, and saw a lot of brutality against civilians early on.

Not only is it expectable to see sone retaliation, but also more harsh methods of guerilla warfare and psychological warfare—in a war that’s threatening their very existence.

I don’t think it’s okay. But it seems like some Kremlin talking points at times when people highlight Ukrainian war crimes and Western allied war crimes while never talking about Russia’s invasion.

And sometimes they don’t even call it an invasion. I’ve seen a lot of Russian stooges call this a “crisis” or a “situation”. .

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת

The Russians have not fully set conditions for a large-scale offensive operation. The Russians have not had enough time to reconstitute forces withdrawn from the Battle of Kyiv and ready them properly for a new offensive in the east. The Russians appear to be still building logistics and command-and-control capabilities even as they start the next round of major fighting. The tempo of Russian operations continues to suggest that President Vladimir Putin is demanding a hasty offensive to achieve his stated objectives, possibly by “Victory Day” on May 9. The haste and partial preparation of the Russian attack will likely undermine its effectiveness and may compromise its success.

Ukrainian forces continue to defend parts of the Azovstal complex in Mariupol, but Russian officials and media are gathering in and near the city, likely in preparation to declare victory in the coming days whether or not fighting continues.