Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Y'all got me wondering how many points of sabotage exist for a nuclear launch system.

Not foreign obviously, I'm wondering how many Russian engineers/scientists/technicians/military personnel/etc. have access to the systems involved and could potentially disable them preemptively. At least disable the one they have closest access to.

Can you disconnect "the button"? (or whatever the initial triggering mechanism is). If you do disable, is there some sort of alert or alarm that goes off? Can you re-rig that shyt to circumvent the warning system and make shyt look normal? How many people are watching all this and could you get away with it without being caught immediately? How much cover would you need from how many people to get away with it? And if the button is disabled, how long would it take a determined button-pushed to either rewire it or trigger the missile in a different fashion?

Could you instead disable something between the "button" and the ICBM? All the same other questions.

Can you disable the ICBM itself? Same follow-up questions.

Or can you disable the nuke itself?

Which of those is easiest to fukk with? Does it depend on who you are? Which would be best to fukk with - is it best to disable the nuke (maybe they even fire the missile and it only becomes a slightly dirty bomb, Putin takes all the risk with little of the reward), or is it best to disable missiles (they switch out to another missile, how many do they have and how long does it take) or is it best to disable the firing mechanism (how tough to fix and can they fire the missiles an alternate way)?

And does anyone with access have the guts to try this shyt and risk execution if they're caught?

Can you disable the electrical ne

Breh, the only way it happens is if Putin don't push the button or the ENTIRE political apparatus in Russia just says "no".

That ain't gon happen.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
190,000 isn't enough to occupy a major country like Ukraine. That's been known from the beginning. Just look at USA in Iraq #'s.

Putin believed his own hype and thought he'd get away with a compliant pseudo-occupation, like in Crimea. Now that he's stuck in the shyt AND taking losses, he realizes he needs more forces. But at the same time he's trying to maintain the narrative that it's just a "military action" and not full-scale war, and the more Russian forces he brings into battle the harder that is (plus even Russian forces have become a source of unwanted information getting to Russian people). That's why he's looking to bring in Syrians or whoever else he can to supplement his pre-committed troops.
Except at this point the goal has to be just to break the government in Kiev by going all in.

This death by a thousand cuts isn’t going stop his soldiers from getting killed. He did this to us in Afghanistan so he knows the US has the money to keep supplying tech for months. How much money does Russia have to keep this going and the home economy.

He’s threatening the supply line( which is exactly why I said he sounded weak when started this weeks ago threatening us to stay out) cause he knows we can run up his casualties quickly.

Syrians aren’t bringing in better tech. Just bodies. China probably isn’t trying to reveal its armament in a losing conflict for something that doesn’t matter to them.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
That's my guy but wth is he talking about? :skip:

I'm talking about sabotage. What are the weak points in the system? I'm interested to know if you think that no Russians would ever move to stop a bomb from going off, or if you think it is technically impossible, or logistically impossible due to surveillance, or simply too easy to work around.

Breh, the only way it happens is if Putin don't push the button or the ENTIRE political apparatus in Russia just says "no".

That ain't gon happen.

I'm not talking about every nuke being stopped. I'm more imagining damage limitation. My best assumption is that Putin only gets one volley - him taking that first volley will end things for him one way or another. So who is willing to put their ass on the line to limit what does down when the call is made and can they do it?

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I'm talking about sabotage. What are the weak points in the system? I'm interested to know if you think that no Russians would ever move to stop a bomb from going off, or if you think it is technically impossible, or logistically impossible due to surveillance, or simply too easy to work around.

I'm not talking about every nuke being stopped. I'm more imagining damage limitation. My best assumption is that Putin only gets one volley - him taking that first volley will end things for him one way or another. So who is willing to put their ass on the line to limit what does down when the call is made and can they do it?

Breh, I don't think you understand what 1 ICBM can do. Millions die. And Russia has A LOT of them. One volley could mean MULTIPLE cities destroyed + nuclear fallout. It's a Zero Sum Game with nukes my man. He wouldn't launch a single one just to get the whole of NATO and perhaps even China (who has nukes but doesn't posture nearly as much as N. Korea or Russia) on his ass.

He'd have to take out multiple world governments. It wouldn't just be WWIII, it would be the end of this epoch.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Breh, I don't think you understand what 1 ICBM can do. Millions die.

I'm a fukking physics grad who has probably been reading up on nuclear development longer than you've been alive. :usure:

There very fact that "one nuke can mean millions die" also means "one nuke averted can mean millions fewer die". Doesn't that make the potential reward for stopping even one nuke launch enormous?

It wouldn't just be WWIII, it would be the end of this epoch.

That depends entirely on his actual motivations. Why assume that Putin wants to "end the epoch"? He has something like half-a-dozen children, several grandchildren, what if he wants them to live? What if his plan isn't "destroy everything" but just take out a couple select German, British, and American cities as a fukk you on his way out of this Earth?

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
That's my guy but wth is he talking about? :skip:

i'm rocking with @Rhakim on this theory.
get ready to see the 2nd collapse of the Kremlin :blessed:

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Breh, I don't think you understand what 1 ICBM can do. Millions die. And Russia has A LOT of them. One volley could mean MULTIPLE cities destroyed + nuclear fallout. It's a Zero Sum Game with nukes my man. He wouldn't launch a single one just to get the whole of NATO and perhaps even China (who has nukes but doesn't posture nearly as much as N. Korea or Russia) on his ass.

He'd have to take out multiple world governments. It wouldn't just be WWIII, it would be the end of this epoch.

first of all, i'm fairly certain that i could survive a nuclear blast.
can we start the convo from there like gentleman?

Daps

I got one question for you. IF POTUS opened up the football and put in the launch codes, do you think that's getting sabotaged?

My point being, once it gets to that point, it's pretty much going down. The only president that may have been stopped from letting the nukes fly was Trump.

Well, Nixon too during Watergate.

But other than that, I think there's enough loyal ppl within that apparatus that would make sure it gets done when the president makes that decision.

Same for Russia. I think there's enough loyal ppl within their nuclear apparatus that if Putin gives that order, they'll make it happen.

I have no faith in anyone stopping it.

Pacifists and antiwar ppl are probably nowhere within the nuclear apparatus of any nation. They need cold-hearted folks who have no problem taking that order.

I'm sure they psychologically screen ppl on some level before you even get that job. I don't have any proof of that, but folks get psychologically screened for less. I can't imagine that a screening of some kind doesn't happen there.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I got one question for you. IF POTUS opened up the football and put in the launch codes, do you think that's getting sabotaged?

My point being, once it gets to that point, it's pretty much going down. The only president that may have been stopped from letting the nukes fly was Trump.

Well, Nixon too during Watergate.

But other than that, I think there's enough loyal ppl within that apparatus that would make sure it gets done when the president makes that decision.

Same for Russia. I think there's enough loyal ppl within their nuclear apparatus that if Putin gives that order, they'll make it happen.

I have no faith in anyone stopping it.

None of that addresses any of the technical questions I asked. You're just assuming you know the mentality of literally every single person within the system and I'm not sure on what basis you're making those assumptions.

Pacifists and antiwar ppl are probably nowhere within the nuclear apparatus of any nation. They need cold-hearted folks who have no problem taking that order.

I'm sure they psychologically screen ppl on some level before you even get that job. I don't have any proof of that, but folks get psychologically screened for less. I can't imagine that a screening of some kind doesn't happen there.

You don't have to be "pacifist" or "anti-war" to think "Let's not kill millions of civilians with nuclear weapons solely to satisfy one deranged tyrant". At least 90% of humanity wouldn't want that to happen. Are you really so certain that NONE of those 90% are in a position to potentially sabatogue?

They don't even have to be the ones who "take the order". They could be a nuclear scientist charged with maintaining nuclear readiness of the warheads. They could be a rocket scientist charged with ensuring the ICBMs are in proper working condition. They could be an electrical engineer or even a fukking electrician who is monitoring the circuits. I honestly have no idea how many people come within contact of each of those things, but there's going to be more than a few and several of them are going to need such specific technical expertise that they can't be pure hacks picked for political reliability alone.

Individual Russians have single-handedly blocked nuclear launches before. Look up Vasily Arkhipov or Stanislav Petrov. Both refused to go along with orders and thus prevented what could have been tremendous disasters.

Vasily Arkhipov - Wikipedia

Stanislav Petrov - Wikipedia

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
How much help does Zelensky need? Because this is just ridiculous. I know its Canada and they always get clowned but depleting most of your military to help Ukraine fight? This is getting too crazy

Ukraine is the poorest country in Europe facing one of the top-10 most powerful militaries in the world.

Canada is a relatively small country without huge military resources and needs them for literally nothing other than helping other countries out.