Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
I'm surprised they didn't do this earlier, because if you look at their history, Brute Force has always been their modus operandi. So far, Russia's been a perfect example of "talent not working hard". Horrible way to start the half, they miscalculated the fukk outta this.
Yeah, according to most knowledgeable accounts, Russia had not been committing 100% of its firepower in the beginning. As somebody else said, they expected a swift take over and they messed it up badly.

IMO, Putin will just try to obliterate Ukraine now. There were some videos in the beginning of this thread diving into the Russian psyche that kinda went to the conclusion that Putin might end up thinking that if he can't have Ukraine, nobody will and he'll just try to decimate it as much as he can.

Able Archer 83

Two Minutes to Midnight
Daps
Reppin
IMO, Putin will just try to obliterate Ukraine now. There were some videos in the beginning of this thread diving into the Russian psyche that kinda went to the conclusion that Putin might end up thinking that if he can't have Ukraine, nobody will and he'll just try to decimate it as much as he can.

I don't think Putin can afford to obliterate Ukraine--even if he had the means, which I doubt he does. They can destroy some of the infrastructure, but unless he uses nukes or chemical weapons--which, again, I don't he'd do--all a scorched-earth campaign would do is drain the ordinance of the Russian military (which doesn't grow on trees) for an uncertain purpose.

The main problem I see is that It would kill a lot of Ukrainians, but not enough for to render them completely impotent and harmless. During WW2, the Western Allies and the USSR waged total war on Germany and engaged in as ruthless a campaign of destruction as ever seen. For instance, American artillery would systematically level entire towns and villages at the slightest sign of resistance. Yet, after the largest-scale, most expensive military effort in history, Germany only lost about nine percent of its population--and that's including military losses. It was hugely painful, but in ten years their economy was humming and Germans were flocking to the colors again.

Of course, this is what I consider a rational analysis; Vlad may very well not be looking at this rationally.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
275185916_268146798826311_1854765818568190135_n.jpg

Spidey Man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If it's true that Russia might use chemical weapons like US and EU are saying, then US and Nato may have to jump in this war.

I think China steps in and gets Russia to pull back. China takes the opportunity to increase their standing in the global community, and they get the chance to buy up as much of Russia as they want following the devastation after the sanctions. China won't care if they use chemical weapons, but they would love to have the chance to advance their interests without doing much of anything

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Mark it, some of these oligarchs are going to get knocked off bc US/EU have more than likely already contacted them to let them know about these sanctions in hope they're able to influence other higher ups to try and influence Putin to chill out or even to take him out of power. Once this gets back to Putin he'll want to send a message.

There is always an internal bloodbath when power is at stake.