Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
There's now a thread in TLR openly rooting for Russia because Russia never enslaved Black folk, is supposedly a check on Western Capitalism, and nuclear war would be an improvement "the hell most of us already live in"
TLR in the SOHH days was fukkery, fun and a bit of pop culture discussion. TLR here genuinely makes me sad and confused. Not sure what happened to make that sub more repulsive than JBO

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils

I only saw the first 30 secs but all those people look old. Like over 50. Those types believe in the old ways and days of how USSR was run before the collapse. You'll find many of the older generation who lived in the communist era in Europe prefer that era to the post communist one.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
I only saw the first 30 secs but all those people look old. Like over 50. Those types believe in the old ways and days of how USSR was run before the collapse. You'll find many of the older generation who lived in the communist era in Europe prefer that era to the post communist one.
And it's easy to manufacture outrage if you select your replies accordingly. Not all Russians are pro-Putin or pro-war, it's probably more of a mixed bag

mitter

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Interesting summary of how even "educated" people within Russia are falling for the propaganda:

http://deryugina.com/a-view-from-russian-academia/

I urge you guys to read this email from a Russian academic. Anyone expecting great resistance from within Russia is not being realistic. And idiots like Graham are just making it easier for Putin to get average Russians to rally around him

“I want to assure you that I am very upset by what’s going on. I recently had a political discussion at work and learned the positions of some of my colleagues. Slightly less than half (me included) share your view, a few others (one of whom has relatives in Donetsk) think that Ukraine didn’t carry out the Minsk agreement and was shelling Donbas, as a result of which Ukraine provoked Putin to start all this and to end nationalism and genocide of residents of that region (they are still against military intervention, but think they would have started sooner or later regardless). One colleague thinks that, like Kosovo, Crimea was annexed legitimately (the region decided for itself) and DPR and LPR should follow its example, and a military operation will be helpful. And a few colleagues have communist viewpoints and think that Russians in Ukraine were being oppressed, that Ukraine wanted to be a threat to Russia and place weapons aimed at the Russian Federation in the East of the country (including in Crimea). They think that, sooner or later, Ukraine, together with Western countries, would have started an aggression against Russia and so in their view the destruction of the Russian economy because of this war is better than the destruction of Russia itself if it were to take no action with respect to Crimea and Donbas. And so they are expecting that Russia will gain control of Ukraine as a result of what’s going on now, after which it will install a puppet government or even try to annex the country or part of it.

I feel very uncomfortable that I am telling you other people’s personal views, and I ask you not to refer directly to what I said, but I hope that this somehow helps us understand the situation. Here is also my view as to why the Russian people are not protesting en masse:

1. Negative influence of the USSR: beginning with the immigration after 1917 and Stalinist purges and ending with the destruction of the will to live freely to the falling apart of the country. People didn’t live normally and so don’t want to live normally now, those who protest are mostly very young.

2. A non-trivial share of the people are idiots. They can’t or, for many reasons, don’t want to absorb non-one-sided information and just want to be “outside of politics”. And the most accessible information is, sadly, propaganda.

3. Propaganda is literally EVERYWHERE. On TV it reaches absurd proportions, and besides that special bot farms write a huge number of online comments, forming a false public opinion and swaying those who are uncertain to their side.

4. A huge army of siloviki (strongmen). Ukraine’s Maidan could happen because resistance [against the protestors] was not comparable to that of Russia and Belorussia. The Russian government has a huge horde of policemen and Rosgvardiya [National Guard of Russia] who get paid decent money just for brutally beating people who simply show up to a demonstration (and actually get pleasure out of doing so because they are idealistic and see enemies in those who show up). Then they imprison the people for 30 days and then create problems for them in their studies or work. And any resistance leads to a huge prison sentence. I’m not even mentioning, that people can be jailed for several years for tweets or social media posts (this is not an exaggeration!)

I hope this helps you understand the situation. I apologize for any colleagues and countrymen who may be responding to your email negatively.

PS I ask you to not group the nation of Russia together with Putin and his followers, but of course I understand all the aggression and hate toward us, those who act this way have their reasons…”

Last edited: