Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Zime

Superstar
Daps
Fleeing the war and finally being allowed to cross the border after hours of waiting to then get chased down by a group of Polish far right racists. That's why I don't give a fukk about these people.
:yeshrug:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
they are one of the nations that benefits the most by staying neutral. They are still trying to pull themselves out of their own “dark ages” in a way. They don’t have the power/fortitude to make a stand right now, so they stay neutral.

They won’t. Again they are still trying to bullied their own economy/position in the world. They want nothing to do with conflict and will stay neutral as long as possible.

India would be nuts to actually jump into bed with Russia like that, but they've been on a big Nationalist strongman wave lately and I don't think that always leads to the most logical outcomes - Modi rarely has a bad word to say about Putin (he was a Trump fan too) and unless I'm out of date, he's refused to call this an invasion or even a war which is very much toeing Putin's line. Disinformation in India is at an all time high and let's face it, their nationalists have all the historical reasons for wanting to give the West a black eye.

I think similar to the way people worry China/Xi may be waiting for the situation in Ukraine to resolve before deciding how they deal with Taiwan's independence, Modi probably has a keen eye on what the world is willing to turn a blind eye to - he's already managed to strip Kashmir of its autonomy with virtually no pushback and many voices in India want him to start challenging Pakistan directly again. If Putin manages to hold Ukraine without waking NATO's sleeping giant, who knows what other nuclear-armed strongmen around the world will feel enabled to try.

Both of these things are true.

On one hand, India is economically very dependent on USA/UK and doesn't want to upset them, nor do they have the economic strength to really make a stand against anyone external. They fukking HATE China recently and yet still won't divest themselves even of Chinese economic relations.

On the other hand, Modi is an absolute strongman who dreams of doing everything that Putin is trying to do. He wants to suppress all minorities, he wants to ignore human rights issues, he wants to take all of Kashmir back from Pakistan by force. Thus he can't condemn Putin right now when that would only expose himself later.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
But that is a totally different situation. Jammu & Kashmir is Indian, it's part of the union and has been ever since October 1947 - India only came into existence two months before Jammu & Kashmir joined it. The king of Jammu & Kashmir voluntarily agreed to join the union. He signed it over. Once you sign a contract then that land belongs to whoever you signed it to.

In fact the king signed it over to India because he had been invaded by Afghan tribesmen and the Pakistani army. He didn't have an army. So he figured the best way to defend his people from a foreign invasion was to voluntarily join with a country that did have an army, India. Nobody put any pressure on the king except for the invaders. He gave up the right to autonomy as soon as he realised he couldn't defend the land by himself.

Here's what he signed:

So let's get that straight, as of 1947 down to today, Pakistan is the foreign aggressor and invader of Jammu & Kashmir, whereas India is the defender and the legitimate owner of that land. If the people of the state feel different, that's too bad. Take it up with your dead king. The contract has been signed and it's not going to get torn up 75 years later just because you now feel that it was a bad deal.

So India is not invading an independent foreign country when it does something to Jammu & Kashmir, it is instead governing one of its 27 union states. No foreign country has the right to interfere with a government's policy in one of its own states. Nobody has the right to demand for autonomy for Jammu & Kashmir, that question is entirely Delhi's prerogative.

That entire narrative is based off the bullshyt assumption that one man can choose the fate of an entire people. Especially bullshyt in an age when the British were literally picking who the king of Jammu & Kashmir would be.

I'm not justifying Pakistan's actions but the constant reliance on what this one single British pawn signed has always seemed weak as fukk to me.

What did the people vote for? What did the legislature vote for?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Fleeing the war and finally being allowed to cross the border after hours of waiting to then get chased down by a group of Polish far right racists. That's why I don't give a fukk about these people.
:yeshrug:

Black folk suffering due to the Russian invasion is now somehow painted as a reason not to oppose the Russian invasion. :snoop:

shonuff

All Star
Daps
Why are people constantly pushing this Ukrainians are really racist/ polish people are really racist stories

I noticed that I'm seeing these posts all over black oriented boards ...hard