Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
before

It is. Apparently, that farm is 60km inland from the border.

I almost think this the Rus trying to test NATOs gangsta. This could be real bad :francis:

How does a tankie defend this one :unimpressed:

Get them Russians out the paint NOW

What would be the response of a non-violence advocate to this development?

Im calling these dudes Vatnikkas from now on. :snoop:

Guess that Polish family wasn't resisting Russian aggression hard enough @Rhakim

Wait the missiles killed 2 people?? :ohhh:

They have to stomp the shyt out of Russia for that…if they don’t…

after

This is a fart in the middle of a hurricane.

The horrible hot takes are one thing. The fact that some of you literally tried to gloat in two people's deaths and treat it like a funny time to shyt on your ideological opponents is exactly what I was calling out in this thread. Have some fukking respect and don't look like such blatant warmongerers, and I won't call you such. Note that several of you derisively mocked posters who said it was likely an accident, which turned out to be the exact right hot take, and I doubt any of you have acknowledged any of them or apologized with any integrity at all.

What happened to those two polish farmers is terrible. THAT is the sort of shyt that keeps happening in wars, over and over x 100,000. But you'll never take responsibility for that being a consequence of choosing war, you'll never take responsibility for a single incident of "collateral damage" as being part of the equation. Russia is 100% responsible for all deaths in this war because they chose to war. But anyone who chooses to war back also has to consider that their actions will result in deaths like these, and a lot more besides, almost certainly far more than would have resulted from other options. If you think those deaths are just acceptable collateral, then say so. But don't go one minute talking about how Russia needs to be leveled to the ground for the terrible thing they did killing two people, and then turn around and decide that such deaths are irrelevant to your equation if it wasn't who you thought it was.

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: ill

Carl Tethers

@mastermind is OVO
Supporter
Daps
The fact that this giant list of historical inaccuracies and ridiculous counterfactuals got any daps at all says a lot about this thread. :dead:

If you are completely ignorant on the subject, then why comment? You're 100% wrong, nowhere in that link does it say India recovered all of its territory, because it didn't. It just recovered back to the previous LINE OF CONTROL. The Line of Control runs right through the middle of Kashmir, India didn't recover the Pakistan-held territory (which Pakistan took in the First Kashmir War and the Bangladesh Liberation War) nor the Chinese-held territory (which China took in the Sino-Indian War).

India STILL doesn't have control of all its Kashmir territory - the Line of Control is exactly where it ended after Kargil:

LoC_Map_Twitter-x692.PNG

Since the previous line of control before this war was at Crimea, then ending the war at the Crimean border would be the exact analogy to what happened at Kargil.

That reminds me of a second example that kills your claim - the Bangladesh Liberation War. After Pakistan pre-emptively attacked India and gained significant ground in part of Kashmir, India started kicking their ass and taking far more ground across other sections of the LOC....but when Pakistani forces surrendered in Bangladesh, India not only stopped advancing in Kashmir but actually GAVE BACK large sections of the land it had taken as a goodwill gesture to try to maintain peace.

Since that war involved three nations, over a million soldiers, resulted in ~100,000 casualties and nearly 100,000 POWs, I hope it counts as big enough for some people. :mjlol:

lol - you're just proving what I said. The measures taken against Germany were MORE punitive, by far, than anything that is going to be done to Putin. So by your own definition, what you're saying needs to be done to Russia is an ultimate "half measure".

This is why I can't take these takes seriously - you're just picking shyt at random to support your views even if it does the exact opposite. World War 1 is perfect proof that a war ISN'T the end-all people are claiming it is, proof that kicking someone completely out of your territory militarily ISN'T some magic bullet to prevent future conflict, and that you have no reason to think the thing you want to do to Putin is going to work in the long term at all.....and yet not only are you ignoring all that, you're actually trying to use it to prove your claim that war works when it clearly didn't.

LOL - what complete bullshyt. Gandhi was born in 1869, so obviously no, the British weren't able to kill him. This is absolute proof you have no fukking clue what you are talking about.

Since you didn't realize that Gandhi was born in the 1860s, you're probably unaware that Gandhi had already been fighting major civil rights battles with nonviolent resistance in British South Africa in the 1890s and 1900s. You know, that nice friendly British South African government that was crushing the Zulus and crushing the Boer at the exact same time. Yet he wasn't killed like you claimed he would be, eh?

When Gandhi started his Indian agitations in 1915, the British empire was not on its "death door", and no one was pressuring Britain to renounce it's colonial possessions. Nor does that describe them in 1919 during the reaction to the Amritsar Massacre that you replied to. Nor does that describe Britain in 1931 when they were forced to sign the Gandhi-Irwin Treaty, or in 1935-1937 when they were forced to hand over defacto internal political autonomy to Indian leaders. By the time independence was granted in 1947 the writing had already been on the wall for a decade - in fact if it hadn't been for Gandhi suspending the movement in 1940 because he didn't want to see India come to self rule "over the ashes of Britain", it likely would have happened even earlier.

Do you know how many other colonial British possessions gained independence in the 25 years before 1947? NONE of them. Not a single one. The few that tried, Britain easily crushed them. They easily crushed the minor armed rebellions attempted by Indian offshoots as well. And a full decade after Indian independence, they crushed the Mau Mau rebellion in Kenya at the cost of over 10,000 lives. Claiming that Gandhi won because Britain was at death's door is total bullshyt - Gandhi's movement is what created the climate for other colonial possessions to gain their freedom as well

Breh, that argument is even more true for violent resistance than it is for nonviolent resistance. If Russia had their shyt together than Ukraine wouldn't have had a fukking chance - they're ONLY winning this war because Russia is a dying superpower (as Obama announced a good 10 years ago) who has displayed extreme incompetence and top-to-bottom failure in every single stage of the war.

No one has ever claimed that nonviolent resistance is some sort of magic bullet that succeeds any way, every time. But in the vast majority of cases where nonviolent resistance would fail, violent resistance would fail too. Yet in a large number of cases where violent resistance would fail (or does fail), nonviolent resistance is successful. And nonviolent successes are on average far better than violent successes (fewer casualties and much more likely to lead to democratic government).

The data is out there, if you give a shyt.

Where did you invent this "no long term political repercussions" bullshyt? I said from the beginning on the conflict that the hardest possible sanctions on Russia should remain until they end the war and that Ukraine should not comply with Russian occupation, and that there were further steps they could continue to take in that direction to make it even worse. Claiming "30 50 100 years" is bullshyt, under their economic turmoil and incompetent leadership structure, they couldn't even hold an openly resisting Ukrainian population for two years - considering the utter lack of administrative capacity and domestic will for this bullshyt, maybe less than that. If Putin even lives that long.

You might claim I don't know that for sure - and you're right, I don't. Nor do you know how many lives this war will take or how long it will last, nor do you appear to care.

lol at claiming anyone knows jack shyt about nonviolent resistance from high school. Brother legit said everyone knows what's going on cause high school. :snoop:

That pretty much sums up this thread. If you're talking any other field, then people expect you to have at least some knowledge and experience to be able to make definitive claims about it. But when warmongers shyt on nonviolent resistance and claim they know definitively what will and will not work, and that all they need to be able to say that is a fukking casual mention of Gandhi in high school. And you expect me not to treat you dismissively when you say shyt like that.

You said with confidence that the British would have wiped Gandhi off the Earth if he had been born in the 1860s without even realizing he was born in the 1860s.

How do you think non-violence and appeasement will stop Russian aggression?

Keep it to a reasonable paragraph

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
How do you think non-violence...will stop Russian aggression?

Keep it to a reasonable paragraph

I already linked the arguments just yesterday and referred back to them repeatedly. No, it can't be explained in a paragraph to people who know nothing about how nonviolent resistance works, and especially not ones who are actively antagonistic to it. Anyone who thinks otherwise has clearly never taken any historical conflict seriously.

Now, why are you even responding to a historical comment about a completely different question with that red herring? You dapped up a post that had nothing but historical inaccuracies and false diversions from start to finish, then when I expose it, you try to change the subject. If you want to debate this actual subject, then learn something about it first. Otherwise just ignore me. But I'm done wasting time on people who don't have any interest in the subject other than to yell into the wind so they can go back to warmongering.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
The horrible hot takes are one thing. The fact that some of you literally tried to gloat in two people's deaths and treat it like a funny time

Dude, I was mocking the stupid takes that I had quoted, not the dead. Go back and see why I quoted them. Then apologize for slandering my good name.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
I think the good thing about yesterday's incident is that everybody tried to deescalate.

- Russia's leadership praised the measured response of the US/NATO
- The US and Poland made sure to not talk too quickly (Biden was good with his first reaction)
- CIA and Russia secret services talked yesterday and admitted it publicly

I think it's evidence that nobody wants shyt to hit the fan. The craziest thing is that Russia actually stated that they were making sure to not land anything within a 35km buffer zone east of the Polish border.

Ukraine spoke too fast without looking at the facts which is understandable considering the bombings yesterday.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Tit for tat? :leon:

Dap watching? :whew:

Walls of text? :why:

Trifecta GIF - TRIFECTA - Discover & Share GIFs

How is it "tit for tat"? You mocked me with a terrible take and I called you out on it, instead of apologizing now you're just deflecting.

And he's the one who threw a giant wall of text at me, I replied comparatively succinctly to each of his numerous false claims with clear explanations. I know that bothers you, but "wall of text" is the sort of reply they'd offer in TLR when they realize they were wrong but can't defend the counter.

People like you love relying on Brandolini's law when your bullshyt gets refuted.

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel
I'm starting to think you don't know what Juelzing means. Ukraine fukked up and it had tragic consequences - never said different. But you're happy to hop back in the thread because of it like your dad Putin hasn't been humbled.. Russia stinks. Putin stinks. You back losers

Edit - shout out to @Broke Wave

You really should read my initial post when the war broke out and shut the fukk up already.

Mister Terrific

It’s in the name
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The fact that this giant list of historical inaccuracies and ridiculous counterfactuals got any daps at all says a lot about this thread. :dead:

If you are completely ignorant on the subject, then why comment? You're 100% wrong, nowhere in that link does it say India recovered all of its territory, because it didn't. It just recovered back to the previous LINE OF CONTROL. The Line of Control runs right through the middle of Kashmir, India didn't recover the Pakistan-held territory (which Pakistan took in the First Kashmir War and the Bangladesh Liberation War) nor the Chinese-held territory (which China took in the Sino-Indian War).
It’s appears you were also ignorant of the subject as you linked a completely separate war. You specifically referenced the Kargil War which India did recover all of its territory. What you meant was the Indian-Pakistan war of 1947.

Kashmir was not a member of India when it was invaded by Pakistan in 1947. The ruler only joined India as a response. The Indian army had to be airlifted in to combat the Pakistani military and militia groups.

Claiming this as an example of a nation achieving military superiority yet having to relinquish its territory for peace is spurious at best as Kashmir was never officially under Indian governments rule in its entirety at any point in history.

If that’s the best example you have in all of human history I consider the matter settled

lol - you're just proving what I said. The measures taken against Germany were MORE punitive, by far, than anything that is going to be done to Putin. So by your own definition, what you're saying needs to be done to Russia is an ultimate "half measure".
Incorrect. Germany was subsidized by the USA after WW1 and had their own version of the roaring 20’s. You can watch an excellent Netflix show called Babylon Berlin on the time period. Germany also had a robust population and steady growth that mitigated any losses during WW1 in comparison to France which saw a demographic stagnation. Only after the collapse of the US stock market did the German economy fall apart which happened to everyone.

Russia conversely has a demographic time bomb largely why its stealing Ukrainian children and trying to gobble territory. This and other reasons are why Moscow and many Russian accounts online are framing this war as a war for national survival because it likely is, at least for the current regime.

This is why I can't take these takes seriously - you're just picking shyt at random to support your views even if it does the exact opposite. World War 1 is perfect proof that a war ISN'T the end-all people are claiming it is, proof that kicking someone completely out of your territory militarily ISN'T some magic bullet to prevent future conflict, and that you have no reason to think the thing you want to do to Putin is going to work in the long term at all.....and yet not only are you ignoring all that, you're actually trying to use it to prove your claim that war works when it clearly didn't.
I fully expect Donbas and Crimea to be a (potential) conflict zone for decades to come. As I said we cannot do to Russia what we did to Germany after WW2. However, neither will Russia be able to recover the same way Germany was after WW1. What Ukraine can do to discourage Russia is capture its territories and rid them of the institutional and social structures that allowed Russia to assume control.

What would be madness is to hand over in perpetuity control of the Donbas and Crimea to Russia whilst their military is dominate in the field. The Zelensky government would be dismantled and likely a far more right wing government would take its place on a platform of reconquista. If you know history you know nothing gets the citizenry more riled up than reclaiming stolen territory. It’s like the elderly and social security except nationwide and very much cross cultural.
LOL - what complete bullshyt. Gandhi was born in 1869, so obviously no, the British weren't able to kill him. This is absolute proof you have no fukking clue what you are talking about.

Since you didn't realize that Gandhi was born in the 1860s, you're probably unaware that Gandhi had already been fighting major civil rights battles with nonviolent resistance in British South Africa in the 1890s and 1900s. You know, that nice friendly British South African government that was crushing the Zulus and crushing the Boer at the exact same time. Yet he wasn't killed like you claimed he would be, eh?
Throughout the 1890’s-WW1 Ghandi was actively adding in British colonial repressions by working as a stretcher bearer during the Boar War, again during the Bambatha rebellion and helped recruit Indian soldiers for the British military during WW1.

There were some minor worker rights disputes he engaged in but nothing substantial or enough to warrant undo attention on the periphery of the empire during a World War that he was actively recruiting bodies for.

Nor does that describe Britain in 1931 when they were forced to sign the Gandhi-Irwin Treaty, or in 1935-1937 when they were forced to hand over defacto internal political autonomy to Indian leaders.
The British empire was in marked decline by this point. Both economically, but also ideologically and politically with a heavy faction in government favoring liberal reforms and colonial administration. Also the British empire had no illusions about its ability to defeat India if war broke out as to why they dangled self rule infront of Ghandi and his supporters for so long. You think the British army of the 1700’s-1860’s is signing treaties with agitators?

Do you know how many other colonial British possessions gained independence in the 25 years before 1947? NONE of them. Not a single one.
Not quite
1280px-Hogan%27s_Flying_Column.gif

Edit: oops you said 25 years. I retract this evidence based on your arbitrary time framing.

Breh, that argument is even more true for violent resistance than it is for nonviolent resistance. If Russia had their shyt together than Ukraine wouldn't have had a fukking chance - they're ONLY winning this war because Russia is a dying superpower (as Obama announced a good 10 years ago) who has displayed extreme incompetence and top-to-bottom failure in every single stage of the war.

Russia isn’t a superpower or a dying one. It’s a regional power with a GDP less than California.
No one has ever claimed that nonviolent resistance is some sort of magic bullet that succeeds any way, every time. But in the vast majority of cases where nonviolent resistance would fail, violent resistance would fail too. Yet in a large number of cases where violent resistance would fail (or does fail), nonviolent resistance is successful. And nonviolent successes are on average far better than violent successes (fewer casualties and much more likely to lead to democratic government).
Has more independence/anti-colonial movements succeeded throughout human history via violent or non-violent means?

Where did you invent this "no long term political repercussions" bullshyt? I said from the beginning on the conflict that the hardest possible sanctions on Russia should remain until they end the war and that Ukraine should not comply with Russian occupation, and that there were further steps they could continue to take in that direction to make it even worse. Claiming "30 50 100 years" is bullshyt, under their economic turmoil and incompetent leadership structure, they couldn't even hold an openly resisting Ukrainian population for two years - considering the utter lack of administrative capacity and domestic will for this bullshyt, maybe less than that. If Putin even lives that long.

You might claim I don't know that for sure - and you're right, I don't. Nor do you know how many lives this war will take or how long it will last, nor do you appear to care.
So let’s say Ukraine negotiates a ceasefire with Russia with Russia retaining Donbas and Crimea. What do you foresee the non-violent resistance looking like and how that could potentially impact Putin or a subsequent regimes decision making regarding the political status of these territories?

lol at claiming anyone knows jack shyt about nonviolent resistance from high school. Brother legit said everyone knows what's going on cause high school. :snoop:
I mean if there is one thing taught in history class in high school and elementary its MLK and Ghandi. It’s been awhile but their views are pushed heavily by the US education system. If you had to poll every school kid in the US at least among millennials those would be two names kids would recognize. I fail to see your ire at the systems. When you bring up Ghandi everyone knows what you mean.

Are you claiming to be an expert or well read in all things history? That’s quite a feat. You sound like a Twitter user.

That pretty much sums up this thread. If you're talking any other field, then people expect you to have at least some knowledge and experience to be able to make definitive claims about it. But when warmongers shyt on nonviolent resistance they claim they don't actually need to have done any research at all in order to know definitively what will and will not work, and that all they need to be able to say that is a fukking casual mention of Gandhi in high school. And you expect me not to treat you dismissively when you say shyt like that.

I have a B.A. in history and teach English overseas. Currently reading A new history of the Peloponnesian war for fun. I am thoroughly a history nerd.

You said with confidence that the British would have wiped Gandhi off the Earth if he had been born in the 1860s without even realizing he was born in the 1860s.
I said born in 1860. A near decade is a long time in world events. Can you tell me what major political event the British empire was focused on for most of Ghandis young life that it would not have been focused on if he had started agitating 9 years earlier?

Will you concede at least that Putin invoking Blood and Soil rhetoric raises the stakes past non-violent resistance? Surely you can see you are arguing for a noble yet fanciful solution that is in no way apart of this political reality?

Last edited:

GhostoftheMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Straight Outta Homeworld
before

after

The horrible hot takes are one thing. The fact that some of you literally tried to gloat in two people's deaths and treat it like a funny time to shyt on your ideological opponents is exactly what I was calling out in this thread. Have some fukking respect and don't look like such blatant warmongerers, and I won't call you such. Note that several of you derisively mocked posters who said it was likely an accident, which turned out to be the exact right hot take, and I doubt any of you have acknowledged any of them or apologized with any integrity at all.

What happened to those two polish farmers is terrible. THAT is the sort of shyt that keeps happening in wars, over and over x 100,000. But you'll never take responsibility for that being a consequence of choosing war, you'll never take responsibility for a single incident of "collateral damage" as being part of the equation. Russia is 100% responsible for all deaths in this war because they chose to war. But anyone who chooses to war back also has to consider that their actions will result in deaths like these, and a lot more besides, almost certainly far more than would have resulted from other options. If you think those deaths are just acceptable collateral, then say so. But don't go one minute talking about how Russia needs to be leveled to the ground for the terrible thing they did killing two people, and then turn around and decide that such deaths are irrelevant to your equation if it wasn't who you thought it was.
I was commenting on information with what was given at the time; if you don't get the stick out of your ass

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
It’s appears you were also ignorant of the subject as you linked a completely separate war. You specifically referenced the Kargil War which India did recover all of its territory. What you meant was the Indian-Pakistan war of 1947.

Kashmir was not a member of India when it was invaded by Pakistan in 1947. The ruler only joined India as a response. The Indian army had to be airlifted in to combat the Pakistani military and militia groups.

Claiming this as an example of a nation achieving military superiority yet having to relinquish its territory for peace is spurious at best as Kashmir was never officially under Indian governments rule in its entirety at any point in history.

If that’s the best example you have in all of human history I consider the matter settled

Incorrect. Germany was subsidized by the USA after WW1 and had their own version of the roaring 20’s. You can watch an excellent Netflix show called Babylon Berlin on the time period. Germany also had a robust population and steady growth that mitigated any losses during WW1 in comparison to France which saw a demographic stagnation. Only after the collapse of the US stock market did the German economy fall apart which happened to everyone.

Russia conversely has a demographic time bomb largely why its stealing Ukrainian children and trying to gobble territory. This and other reasons are why Moscow and many Russian accounts online are framing this war as a war for national survival because it likely is, at least for the current regime.

I fully expect Donbas and Crimea to be a (potential) conflict zone for decades to come. As I said we cannot do to Russia what we did to Germany after WW2. However, neither will Russia be able to recover the same way Germany was after WW1. What Ukraine can do to discourage Russia is capture its territories and rid them of the institutional and social structures that allowed Russia to assume control.

What would be madness is to hand over in perpetuity control of the Donbas and Crimea to Russia whilst their military is dominate in the field. The Zelensky government would be dismantled and likely a far more right wing government would take its place on a platform of reconquista. If you know history you know nothing gets the citizenry more riled up than reclaiming stolen territory. It’s like the elderly and social security except nationwide and very much cross cultural.

Throughout the 1890’s-WW1 Ghandi was actively adding in British colonial repressions by working as a stretcher bearer during the Boar War, again during the Bambatha rebellion and helped recruit Indian soldiers for the British military during WW1.

There were some minor worker rights disputes he engaged in but nothing substantial or enough to warrant undo attention on the periphery of the empire during a World War that he was actively recruiting bodies for.

The British empire was in marked decline by this point. Both economically, but also ideologically and politically with a heavy faction in government favoring liberal reforms and colonial administration. Also the British empire had no illusions about its ability to defeat India if war broke out as to why they dangled self rule infront of Ghandi and his supporters for so long. You think the British army of the 1700’s-1860’s is signing treaties with agitators?

Not quite
1280px-Hogan%27s_Flying_Column.gif

Edit: oops you said 25 years. I retract this evidence based on your arbitrary time framing.

Russia isn’t a superpower or a dying one. It’s a regional power with a GDP less than California.

Has more independence/anti-colonial movements succeeded throughout human history via violent or non-violent means?

So let’s say Ukraine negotiates a ceasefire with Russia with Russia retaining Donbas and Crimea. What do you foresee the non-violent resistance looking like and how that could potentially impact Putin or a subsequent regimes decision making regarding the political status of these territories?

I mean if there is one thing taught in history class in high school and elementary its MLK and Ghandi. It’s been awhile but their views are pushed heavily by the US education system. If you had to poll every school kid in the US at least among millennials those would be two names kids would recognize. I fail to see your ire at the systems. When you bring up Ghandi everyone knows what you mean.

Are you claiming to be an expert or well read in all things history? That’s quite a feat. You sound like a Twitter user.

I have a B.A. in history and teach English overseas. Currently reading A new history of the Peloponnesian war for fun. I am thoroughly a history nerd.

I said born in 1860. A near decade is a long time in world events. Can you tell me what major political event the British empire was focused on for most of Ghandis young life that it would not have been focused on if he had started agitating 9 years earlier?

Will you concede at least that Putin invoking Blood and Soil rhetoric raises the stakes past non-violent resistance? Surely you can see you are arguing for a noble yet fanciful solution that is in no way apart of this political reality?
Fam, why do you have so much time to write several walls of text in a single morning?

Do you not have something better to do...?