Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
its not worth it lol... there's a distinct difference between poor decision making, bad information, and working through assumed risk (risk as a part of the process, imagine that) and legit terrorizing/ purposefully targeting civilians as a part of your actual doctrine and warfighting strategy.

It depends on whether the "bad decision making" and subsequent cover-ups are legitimate mistakes that couldn't be avoided, or whether they're the direct result of a decision to not care as much about civilian casulties. When a child dies, does the child's brother care if you killed him because you were vaguely targeting civilians, or if you killed him because you didn't care if civilians lived or died? This was the exact topic of the Sam Harris - Noam Chomsky debate, and it's not a question with any sort of simple answer (though the vast majority of observers felt Chomsky won that particular exchange).

From what I posted earlier about Talon Anvil, they were not just killing civilians because they made a few bad decisions. They were seeing civilian deaths increase 10x out of a direct decision to engage in a manner than made avoiding civilian casualties less of a priority.

this discussion been in the weeds for a minute already

The thread is over 20,000 comments long with a huge portion of those comments being memes, trolling, lots of petty attacks on posters' ideological foes, and some outright propaganda. It's beyond silly to think that the thread needs to be protected from anything - that's just a way of shutting down actual discussion.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

@88m3 made a post commenting on the long-distance targeting team setting targets for Russian cruise missiles. It reminded me of the expose a few months ago of Talon Anvil, the long-distance targeting team that set targets for US drones in Syria, and I made a single reply to his comment pointing out the similarities and suggesting that we need to understand how these psychologically disengaged targeting teams operating from a world away might be prone to war crimes.

A lot of people took huge offense to that comment and started trying to attack the idea that Talon Anvil committed war crimes, or that there could be any similarity between the war crime a Russian targeting team commits and a US targeting team commits.

And when I responded directly to the arguments of those people, other people tried to attack me for responding at all, even though they'd dapped up the comments I'm responding to. Because apparently extensive posts defending US war crimes is on-topic for the thread, but challenging those defense is off-topic. Who knew?

Superstar
Daps
The actual military legal investigators who I quoted came to a very different conclusion than you, so your weak attempt at an argument from authority doesn't pass muster. The reports I linked and quoted from Just Security are also far more damning than you want to admit, and again, those are people with a much broader view than you ever had.

And your defense for the strike proves that you are failing to read even the basic details. The strike was NOT justified as a pre-planned attack in order to help breach the "island". The strike had NOT been pre-cleared or justified as part of an assault on the camp. The strike was justified under the claim that it was an immediate emergency self-defense need to protect coalition soldiers who were under attack.

Since the unarmed women and children huddled together under blankets there were NOT in the process of attacking anyone, that supposed justification is bullshyt. And your weak-ass attempt to create a completely different justification which bears no resemblance at all to the justification in military reports is embarassing.

And of course I "haven’t mentioned the dozens of illegal things the haqqani and Taliban did, in Khowst, alone". What kind of deranged derailment is that? :dahell:

:ohhh:
Damn that’s crazy! Apparently the military legal investigator’s WEAK ass arguments didn’t work either, otherwise you wouldn’t be the only other man on the planet that calls the bombing a war crime or gives a fukk.
What surprise that a civilian population living amongst the wildest collection of human rights violators, terrorists, big dikks, and 187 skills we’ve seen since the WWII Japanese military, gets bombs to shreds when that collection refuses to surrender.
You’re right we should expect someone to try to somehow attempt a forced entry on a flat island. An operation that would have definitely killed the civilian population anyways. Anything that could have stopped you from having to clutch your coli pearls like
“someone should dew something about thihihisssss!” :damn:

The haqqani and Taliban were mentioned because for reference in the WaR cRiMeS discussion your ass started
:mjlol:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
The actual military legal investigators who I quoted came to a very different conclusion than you, so your weak attempt at an argument from authority doesn't pass muster. The reports I linked and quoted from Just Security are also far more damning than you want to admit, and again, those are people with a much broader view than you ever had.

And your defense for the strike proves that you are failing to read even the basic details. The strike was NOT justified as a pre-planned attack in order to help breach the "island". The strike had NOT been pre-cleared or justified as part of an assault on the camp. The strike was justified under the claim that it was an immediate emergency self-defense need to protect coalition soldiers who were under attack.

Since the unarmed women and children huddled together under blankets there were NOT in the process of attacking anyone, that supposed justification is bullshyt. And your weak-ass attempt to create a completely different justification which bears no resemblance at all to the justification in military reports is embarassing.

And of course I "haven’t mentioned the dozens of illegal things the haqqani and Taliban did, in Khowst, alone". What kind of deranged derailment is that? :dahell:
I'm gonna highlight the bolded just to point out that you do not know what justification from a command perspective entails - and also that same 'justification' is an issue regarding these post-action investigations because the battlefield picture and associated factors often do not reach an endpoint that allows these clean cut conclusions. And that is good *and* bad for a lot of reasons. What risk a commander is entitled to assume does not translate to what orders a weaponeer is allowed to follow or not follow either.

What that was, was a mess. And there is so such thing as a clean war. Ever. However, the way you go about fighting your war is far more deliberate. If your strategy is to beat a population into submission by targeting civilians directly, using them as body shields, destroying infrastructure, purposeful desecration of historical and cultural sites, organizing efforts to destroy human dignity past anything that is reasonable or ethical, etc - then you're fighting a war outside of what should guide laws of land warfare from the start.

So yes, its worth noting that the 'intent' is a factor and should be brought up with trying to quantify these things.
It depends on whether the "bad decision making" and subsequent cover-ups are legitimate mistakes that couldn't be avoided, or whether they're the direct result of a decision to not care as much about civilian casulties. When a child dies, does the child's brother care if you killed him because you were vaguely targeting civilians, or if you killed him because you didn't care if civilians lived or died? This was the exact topic of the Sam Harris - Noam Chomsky debate, and it's not a question with any sort of simple answer (though the vast majority of observers felt Chomsky won that particular exchange).

From what I posted earlier about Talon Anvil, they were not just killing civilians because they made a few bad decisions. They were seeing civilian deaths increase 10x out of a direct decision to engage in a manner than made avoiding civilian casualties less of a priority.

The thread is over 20,000 comments long with a huge portion of those comments being memes, trolling, lots of petty attacks on posters' ideological foes, and some outright propaganda. It's beyond silly to think that the thread needs to be protected from anything - that's just a way of shutting down actual discussion.
I'll use your own terminology here then. "Not caring", being dismissive of civilian casualties, prioritizing that harm lower than your own personnel or mission is still VERY far away from dodging fights against a standing, uniformed force altogether to choose a much more vulnerable target like a playground, vulnerable peoples, nowhere near the action, etc. Also, you promoting that kind of thing internally? Its a very different structure as you won't make general or be promoted ahead of peers in the US by the quality of your saturation fire against non-military targets on a holiday.

Could the US be better. Absolutely. But this whole thing.... this is a different level.

Furthermore in asymmetrical warfare where the primary belligerents actively used civilians and civilian property as barriers against a better armed foe? Yes, its going to be ugly. You can spell out the harm against individuals here over and over again - but I'd like to emphasize that you're not speaking to an audience that's wholly removed from that kind of thing. Many of us have provided direct aid to the same folks in these situations you're trying to say we don't care about. The reality is, against an enemy willing to kill the same people they're using as a meat shield, you quickly reach a disgusting ground where killing some to save many becomes a reality of the decision making in far too many engagements. And in that sense, encountering people who are vocally towards an 'end the fight decisively and quickly' shouldn't be a surprise either.

I'm not for shutting down discussion. I'm just saying that you're not dumb, so you can realize that what you're saying with some of these guys isn't clicking - at the same time, there's reasons why many feel the way they do and its not because they're stupid either.

and with that im done :hubie: especially as I agree with both of yal and wish you'd see that you're not saying vastly points like you think you are

Last edited:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Damn that’s crazy! Apparently the military legal investigator’s WEAK ass arguments didn’t work either, otherwise you wouldn’t be the only other man on the planet that calls the bombing a war crime or gives a fukk.
What surprise that a civilian population living amongst the wildest collection of human rights violators, terrorists, big dikks, and 187 skills we’ve seen since the WWII Japanese military, gets bombs to shreds when that collection refuses to surrender.
You’re right we should expect someone to try to somehow attempt a forced entry on a flat island. An operation that would have definitely killed the civilian population anyways. Anything that could have stopped you from having to clutch your coli pearls like
“someone should dew something about thihihisssss!” :damn:

The haqqani and Taliban were mentioned because for reference in the WaR cRiMeS discussion your ass started
ijs the investigators said bergdahl didn't get anyone killed either :skip: great lad. glad he's back home and among his fellow brothers in arms

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
This is so rich.

Do you have a rational explanation for it?

I had a rational reason to compare the US targeting team to the Russian targeting team - they are commiting similar crimes. He attacked me for not mentioning war crimes committed by the Taliban in Khowst....why?

Oh, look, an outright lie. That really advances the discussion.

Again, you should really try to get on code, because you keep giving justifications for the strike that are completely at odds with the official narrative.

You’re right we should expect someone to try to somehow attempt a forced entry on a flat island. An operation that would have definitely killed the civilian population anyways.

WTF are you talking about? "Forced entry onto a flat island" has NOTHING to do with the official justification for the strike.

Reference for what? I'm really at a loss here. I was pointing out how these distant targeting teams are prone to war crimes, and you attacked me for failing to mention the haqqani...why? I mean I didn't mention My Lai either but I don't know WTF purpose that would solve. If you can draw a line between haqqani and Russian attacks on Ukrainian energy infrastructure that I should have caught, be my guest, but right now it just looks like floundering because your attempts to defend Talon Anvil went so poorly.

Superstar
Daps
ijs the investigators said bergdahl didn't get anyone killed either :skip: great lad. glad he's back home and among his fellow brothers in arms

That’s the BCT our BCT replaced. I think it was our 1st battalion that fell in on his actual footprint in Paktika though. His guys were understandably pissed

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

MH-17 is really the blueprint for how Russian propaganda works. It's my litmus test for anyone regurgitating Russian narratives - if they can't admit that MH-17 was just a long series of bald-faced lies to cover up an atrocity, then the possibility of dialogue is hopeless.

And as long as a media outlet was willing to repeat the MH-17 narratives they spewed, they can't be trusted very far on anything else.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
@Rhakim do you think Russia will hold its soldiers accountable for war crimes where they've been committed?

Have you seriously considered that the Russian military's actions may be state sanctioned?

At 6 million Euro a pop do you think that dozens of cruises missiles hit Ukrainian civilians and civilian infrastructure on accident in a very centralized military command structure?