Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
I'm not about to spend my day watching a ton of Russian media, but for those who have, does it appear that they're building towards some sort of orchastrated scapegoat? Or are they really just upset and winging it with their own gripes and theories?
I haven't but experts say they are building towards accepting the loss of Kherson.

From what I've read, the previous commander had asked for a long time to retreat as the situation was intenable for Russian forces but Putin asked them to stay as Kherson is extremely important as a symbol (same for Mariupol) and for Crimea.

They probably now see the writings on the wall and will likely retreat east of the Dniper river to freeze the positions for winter. This was always the logical solution tactically but Russian leadership was to irrational to accept it.

[Something Cool]

Not a Well-Known Member
Daps
Reppin
exorbitant legal fees
It's tough to imagine a hot war on Taiwan. What randomly comes to mind is that China would attempt to fight it without actually engaging in a land war. Marine blockade on the island, declare all waters around it a no-go for foreign nations, and tell Taiwan to submit or else. They've put a substantial investment into anti-ship cruise missiles and so I think their ideal goal would be to say, "Any American ship that enters this zone gets blown up", and hope that America decides it's not worth it to lose potentially dozens of ships and thousands of lives over an engagement whose outcome would be very uncertain. Then Taiwan is isolated and China tells them shipping lanes open again once they cut a deal to come back to the mothership.

Just a thought, but as you said, an actual invasion of Taiwan under full-scale war conditions would be something China would want to avoid at all costs.
That sounds plausible, we'll see. Some war games have the US losing at least two aircraft carriers and a total of 500 planes, but do worse to the Chinese. I heard that from an interview with Mike Lyons. I'll have to dig it up, I think he is a pragmatic source, but this says the same

In any event that just sounds like a complete shyt show on all sides.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
I'm not about to spend my day watching a ton of Russian media, but for those who have, does it appear that they're building towards some sort of orchastrated scapegoat? Or are they really just upset and winging it with their own gripes and theories?

Speaking as someone looking in from the outsoide, they are in an impossible situation. Russia is the guy who ran track in HS. Got married, had kids, beat them, got divorced and then decided to run a marathon. That's when he realizes he don't got the juice no more. Up until recently the Russian media just talked about the HS days and everyone loved it. But now they gotta watch him nurse a pulled groin, hamstring and lower back and all they can say is "How is this possible?"

And :pachaha: at Russian expats collectively scouring the globe for electronics like a bunch of pale skinned Jawas.
Other countries letting these bandits in like
kamino-coruscant — Peli Motto, Jawa Expert The Book of Boba Fett Ch....

5 min later
the jawas steal | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumpik

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
That sounds plausible, we'll see. Some war games have the US losing at least two aircraft carriers and a total of 500 planes, but do worse to the Chinese. I heard that from an interview with Mike Lyons. I'll have to dig it up, I think he is a pragmatic source, but this says the same

In any event that just sounds like a complete shyt show on all sides.

Yeah, that's exactly what I would imagine. China knows they would be likely to lose that engagement, but might risk testing the waters on the assumption that the USA isn't willing to take those losses even if they know they would "win".

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Yeah, that's exactly what I would imagine. China knows they would be likely to lose that engagement, but might risk testing the waters on the assumption that the USA isn't willing to take those losses even if they know they would "win".

The U.S. has militarized dolphins all up in them waters. China has no answer for that.

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY

This logic is stupid because until the occupied territories are freed through force of arms, Putin could literally do whatever the fukk he wants there. At this point in time they are occupied and "annexed" almost like a combination of what the Nazis did in Austria with the Anchluss, and what they did in France by propping up the puppet Vichy regime. The Allies didnt recognize Vichy France but lets not act like it didnt fukking exist, just like we shouldnt pretend like there arent THOUSANDS of Ukrainian traitors and collaborators with the Fascist Putinists cooperating and enabling this invasion.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
This logic is stupid because until the occupied territories are freed through force of arms, Putin could literally do whatever the fukk he wants there. At this point in time they are occupied and "annexed" almost like a combination of what the Nazis did in Austria with the Anchluss, and what they did in France by propping up the puppet Vichy regime. The Allies didnt recognize Vichy France but lets not act like it didnt fukking exist, just like we shouldnt pretend like there arent THOUSANDS of Ukrainian traitors and collaborators with the Fascist Putinists cooperating and enabling this invasion.
Taiwan exists but China does not recognize it. China's economic power forces other countries to take the same stance even though it is it's own country. Even the U.S. tiptoes around it. Even though not recognizing an occupied area does not change who currently controls it, it does hurt the legitimacy of the claims.