RUSSIA/РОССИЯ THREAD—ASSANGE CHRGD W/ SPYING—DJT IMPEACHED TWICE-US TREASURY SANCTS KILIMNIK AS RUSSIAN AGNT

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Former FBI Director Robert Mueller Named Special Counsel for Russia Probe

Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein cites “public interest” in naming Mr. Mueller
BN-TM584_MUELLE_GR_20170517175215.jpg

Robert Mueller, right, arriving for a court hearing in San Francisco in April.PHOTO: JEFF CHIU/ASSOCIATED PRESS

Updated May 17, 2017 6:03 p.m. ET
Former FBI Director Robert Mueller III was appointed as special counsel to oversee the FBI investigation of the Russian government’s efforts to influence the 2016 election, the Justice Department said.

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein announced the appointment because Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself from any investigation related to the 2016 race. Mr. Rosenstein said in a statement that “I determined that it is in the public interest for me to exercise my authority and appoint a Special Counsel to assume responsibility of this matter.”

He cautioned that his decision wasn’t the result of a “finding that crimes have been committed or that any prosecution is warranted.”

He signed the order on Wednesday. Mr. Mueller, a former federal prosecutor, served as FBI director from 2001 through 2013 and has a reputation for independence. Mr. Mueller has been a partner a WilmerHale, a law firm, but is stepping down from his role there to avoid any conflicts of interest, according to the Justice Department.

He led the FBI in the aftermath of the September 2001 terrorist attacks and was credited with transforming the agency to take on a greater intelligence gathering role.

Then-President Barack Obama asked Mr. Mueller to remain in the role after his 10-year term expired as the Obama administration searched for a replacement. Mr. Obama eventually nominated Mr. Mueller’s successor, James Comey, who was recently fired by President Donald Trump.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

Last edited: