Run The Damn Ball Kyle!!! 2020 49ers Offseason Thread.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Sorry for the delay had to catch up on some projects. Lets take a look at the safety position

Safeties

Jaquiski Tartt - If it weren't for the injuries Jaquiski Tartt would be counted among the leagues elite safeties. A top class athlete and hard hitter. Tartt also has a good eye for the ball and is like a human scud missle. As a result he takes on more upper body injuries than he should. There is a chance this is his last year on the team, as I think the market for his services may be more than the 49ers can afford to pay him. As such I think he will have one of the best seasons he's had as he is likely going to get paid whether it's with us or somewhere else.

Skills: B+
Performance: B+
Potential: B

Overall B+

Jimmie Ward - Perrenial training table all pro Jimmie Ward. This was not the case in 2019 where JImmie Ward had has best season as a PRO and looked like an elite player in most of his snaps on the field. I can could multiple times he managed to make a TD saving tackle or deflection. Now on a relatively cheap extension Jimmy will be a fixture of the defense. If his health can hold, he will ahvea another really good year if not the versatility of the safety group drops considerably. Here's to Jimmie's health moving forward.

Skills: A-
Performance: B
Potential: B-

Overall B

Jonathan Cyprien - Former Jaguars and Titans safety. Cyprien has not played for a couple of years due to injury. But it seems he has moved past that and has made a return to play for a contender. Cyprien was a tackling machine and while I never though he was much in coverage, he is valuable in run support and even as a blitzing DB. He has great size at 6'1 215 and can spell Tartt as a means of keeping him healthy. Underrated pickup if his health can hold up and that remains to be seen.

Skills: B
Performance: C
Potential: C

Overall: C+

Tavarious Moore - Young safety prospect from Southern Miss. So far has been mostly a special teamer though when asked to fill in has done a very solid job. Moore has the size you want in the NFL safety with his lanky frame and long arms. At only 24 he has a lot of potential and with the right coaching can be a someone who can possibly step in at free safety at a great value.

Skills: C+
Performance: B+
Potential: B-

Overal; C+

Marcell Harris - Marcell Harris is a 2018 6th round pick. He has entrenched himself as a backup safety. Harris is a good tackler and ok in coverage. He needs to keep his eye on the ball though as in the Saints game his lapse in awareness allowed their offense to score a TD, even so he knows the system and is a contributor on special teams.

Skills: C
Performance: D+
Potential: C

Overall: C-

Jared Mayden - Sneaky Sneaky 2020 UDFA pick. Jared Mayden safety from Alabama. At 6'ft 205 He has the requisite size and while he may have been overshadowed by Xavier Mckinney, he made quite a few plays of his own. While he's more of a hitter than cover guy, he has the athleticsm to fill in at SS or FS in our defense. I think the hope is that he can somehow sneak on the 53 man roster as special teams player and ultimately replace Jaquisky Tartt who may be on the outs as the team cannot afford his services moving forward.

Skills: C
Performance: C
Potential: B

Overall: C+

Evan Foster - 2020 UDFA. Would have been a late draft pick if not for a groin injury he suffered in late 2019. Most likely redshirt rookie. Very fgood athlete (posted a 4.48 at Bommarito Performance Systems). Could be a future special teamer reserve safety.

Skills: C-
Performance: F
Potential: C-

Overall D+

Unit Analysis:

When healthy Tartt and Ward are very good safeties. Cyprien is a grizzled veteran. All of these guys are talented but with injury concerns and they guys under them are mostly 2nd and 3rd year players. I think these guys can weather the storm and while I think we may have to find a top flight safety in next years draft, it isn't a concern this year. I think this will be a solid unit and while they may allow some big plays they will by and large get the job done.

Unit Grade: B

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
these quotes are strange, since Kyle didnt provide no updates and said they hope to get Deebo etc back. mind games are starting already lol

Dat916nigga

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Playing him after one week of practice sounds reckless

I don’t think Deebo’s gonna play against the Cards but the fact that he’s close to practicing 3 months after breaking his foot is a win

My guess is that they want a couple of good practice weeks before playing him. Even then, he’ll probably be on a snap count to start

khross415

All Star
Daps
soft ass taylor been hurt for 2 years from his fracture. deebo possibly suitin up week 1 :hhh:

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
soft ass taylor been hurt for 2 years from his fracture. deebo possibly suitin up week 1 :hhh:
this jones fracture is scary in that you can play on it, but if you get another injury there, you're done for the year

Id rather have time for it to heal than have him miss the whole year. Not even close either :manny: