[Rumor] MSFT to release 2 next gen consoles. One traditional and the other streaming.

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz

A Few More Details About Microsoft's Xbox Scarlett Game Streaming Service - Thurrott.com

First, Microsoft is building a traditional console that you would expect from the Xbox brand. I think it’s important to point this out so that those who prefer to have all their hardware locally, will have an option with the next generation Xbox.

As for specs for this device, that’s still not known at this time as it’s the early days of development for that piece of hardware. But what I am starting to hear more about is the second device, a streaming box that is designed to work with the company’s upcoming game streaming platform.

Scarlett Cloud as one person called it, is the game streaming service that we have all been envisioning ever since Microsoft showed off a demo game streaming at its all-employee meeting back in 2013. But this time, Microsoft has a path to bring it to market.

The second ‘console’ that the company is working on is a lower-powered device that is currently planned to ship with the next generation device that is designed for game-streaming. But the catch here is that Microsoft thinks it has figured out how to handle the latency sensitive aspects of gaming.

The cloud console will have a limited amount of compute locally for specific tasks like controller input, image processing, and importantly, collision detection. The downside of this is that it since more hardware is needed locally, it will raise the price of the streaming box but it will still cost significantly less than what we are accustomed to paying for a new-generation console which should help expand the platform’s reach.

Thread that I got this from mentions this as well:

The Cloud Box will cost around 99-125$, it'll feature a hard drive that will deal with all the collisions and input informations in order to reduce latency, MS really thinks that they have it figured out with that hard drive collecting those infos

Not sure if that info is in the links.

I think it will be interesting(the streaming box)Seems like an upgraded version of what Sony tried to do early in the generation with pstv. I think this could have some success, since it will also be able to do traditional streaming stick stuff like play Netflix and what not. I’d be interested in it.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
The only thing the current XB1 is used for is streaming anyway. :COURTFLAB2:

Makes perfect sense. :yeshrug:
It's what they were trying to position themselves for with the XB1 but consumers showed that they weren't ready for that yet.
We'll see if the public is ready by the time this actually drops.
My guess is no...but...digital only is the future so I definitely won't say it's not possible.

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
"The cloud console will have a limited amount of compute locally for specific tasks like controller input, image processing, and importantly, collision detection. The downside of this is that it since more hardware is needed locally, it will raise the price of the streaming box but it will still cost significantly less than what we are accustomed to paying for a new-generation console which should help expand the platform’s reach."

That's pretty damn huge right there, so the only thing you're streaming is the actual game content which will produce MUCH less lag compared to PS NOW or Gamefly's digital streaming service.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The only thing the current XB1 is used for is streaming anyway. :COURTFLAB2:

Makes perfect sense. :yeshrug:
It's what they were trying to position themselves for with the XB1 but consumers showed that they weren't ready for that yet.
We'll see if the public is ready by the time this actually drops.
My guess is no...but...digital only is the future so I definitely won't say it's not possible.
:laff:

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Still pushing for that living room huh M$.:yeshrug:

Even if they win it wont matter unless they have the games to back it up. :francis:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I wonder how this would be less or better for twitch gaming, ( fps, fighters etc) that require little to no lag and low ping for competitive play.

I can't wrap my head around it right now if technically it should be better or if since its streaming its no way it can be.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
New games showing up day one probably ain't happening so if you are willing to wait then :ehh:

Nice option but still don't see it becoming mainstream for years. Publishers and Devs don't win in this situation especially for new or popular product.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I hate to say it, but the incoherent ramblings of @PS4 have now been validated (if the rumors are true). He said streaming was the future for M$. Gotta give him credit for that :francis:
He never gave up on the cloud :wow:

I thought digital sales and product would be there main focus and streaming mid next gen

Last edited:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
@Liquid thoughts?

I know you believe in the all digital future, seems like this is one step closer to that :lupe:
When @Dominic Brehetto is linked to the official Sony disc to digital program only to find out its not available in his igloo country he calls home

full