Rootworking

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
I grew up in a temple/church that did rootwork and healing and we did and still do healing ceremonies (private) using roots while praying different Psalms and other books of the Bible. It's laying of the hands also different use of roots and oils.

The prayer is in the form of a song and scriptures. The style is very much like Sister Gertrude Morgan. Here are some examples:

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
When "fixing" or "dressing" candles, bags, oils and "preparing" roots many times prayers are done over them.

Here are some examples, I know are similar in style - I heard while visiting summers in Alabama at my family's church that was built by by 3rd Great Granddad and his brothers and cousins after Emancipation. And where all my maternal ancestors are buried at (in the back in the family cemetery).

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
9780252094460.jpg

Mojo Workin': The Old African American Hoodoo System​

Katrina Hazzard-Donald explores African Americans' experience and practice of the herbal, healing folk belief tradition known as Hoodoo. She examines Hoodoo culture and history by tracing its emergence from African traditions to religious practices in the Americas. Working against conventional scholarship, Hazzard-Donald argues that Hoodoo emerged first in three distinct regions she calls "regional Hoodoo clusters" and that after the turn of the nineteenth century, Hoodoo took on a national rather than regional profile. The spread came about through the mechanism of the "African Religion Complex," eight distinct cultural characteristics familiar to all the African ethnic groups in the United States. The first interdisciplinary examination to incorporate a full glossary of Hoodoo culture, Mojo Workin': The Old African American Hoodoo System lays out the movement of Hoodoo against a series of watershed changes in the American cultural landscape. Hazzard-Donald examines Hoodoo material culture, particularly the ""High John the Conquer"" root, which practitioners employ for a variety of spiritual uses. She also examines other facets of Hoodoo, including rituals of divination such as the ""walking boy"" and the ""Ring Shout,"" a sacred dance of Hoodoo tradition that bears its corollaries today in the American Baptist churches. Throughout, Hazzard-Donald distinguishes between ""Old tradition Black Belt Hoodoo"" and commercially marketed forms that have been controlled, modified, and often fabricated by outsiders; this study focuses on the hidden system operating almost exclusively among African Americans in the Black spiritual underground[/img]

Tair

Superstar
Daps
Working the Roots is also a great book to purchase -- if you are simply interesting in ROOTWORK.

Working The Roots: Over 400 Years of Traditional African American Healing

9780692857878__94893.1636727508.jpg

I am just looking to connect more to my roots. I heard stories of my grandfather pouring red dirt around his property, dealing with all manner of snakes, etc..., and I heard stories of how strong the man was from my grandma. She even said I resemble him. That, and I had dreams of a familiar ancestor that I did not know but felt like I knew him, almost father like. My father said I would be seeing a lot more as I get older, and I know his side of the family are into hoodoo, and my mother's side still retains some Rootworking practices.

So, a general knowledge. You don't have to share all of it though because, like you said, not everything of BA history should be on the internet.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
I am just looking to connect more to my roots. I heard stories of my grandfather pouring red dirt around his property, dealing with all manner of snakes, etc..., and I heard stories of how strong the man was from my grandma. She even said I resemble him. That, and I had dreams of a familiar ancestor that I did not know but felt like I knew him, almost father like. My father said I would be seeing a lot more as I get older, and I know his side of the family are into hoodoo, and my mother's side still retains some Rootworking practices.

So, a general knowledge. You don't have to share all of it though because, like you said, not everything of BA history should be on the internet.

I'll send you a DM tomorrow. I would love to share with you!

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
If I could get some tips for prosperity, it would be greatly appreciated.
I'll work on this thread this weekend and add some stuff.

Off hand: My mom to this day boils cinnamon water and she's a weekly lottery winner (she's addicted to Michigan Lottery). It will help fill your house with prosperity vibes. Other herbs/oils I know that work are basil, lemongrass and jasmine oil - but it's SO SO many you can use.

Just a few of many Prosperity Psalms to recite 3 x are: Psalms 111, 112, 118, 23, 34, 115

Choose 1 or 2 to recite. But, please make sure you say the Lord's prayer before you recite your Psalms. And recite them with intention - meaning if you have a need or want you can visualize think about it or even say it after you recite the noted Psalms.

Another: Glass Green Candle (at Walmart or Family Dollar - do not get one with pictures on it) --- and if you want to "dress it:" with prosperity oils/herbs. Recite your Psalms daily while the candle continues to burn.

This book is excellent for specific Psalms and other scriptures to state for specific needs.

Some pages: These are promises made by the Most High -- ye ask, ye shall receive.

KGWrUBo.png

uAWkVJK.png

iqxL4Vd.png

@Tair I haven't forgotten about you! :smile:

Last edited:
Daps
I'll work on this thread this weekend and add some stuff.

Off hand: My mom to this day boils cinnamon water and she's a weekly lottery winner (she's addicted to Michigan Lottery). It will help fill your house with prosperity vibes. Other herbs/oils I know that work are basil, lemongrass and jasmine oil - but it's SO SO many you can use.

Just a few of many Prosperity Psalms to recite 3 x are: Psalms 111, 112, 118, 23, 34, 115

Choose 1 or 2 to recite. But, please make sure you say the Lord's prayer before you recite your Psalms. And recite them with intention - meaning if you have a need or want you can visualize think about it or even say it after you recite the noted Psalms.

Another: Glass Green Candle (at Walmart or Family Dollar - do not get one with pictures on it) --- and if you want to "dress it:" with prosperity oils/herbs. Recite your Psalms daily while the candle continues to burn.

This book is excellent for specific Psalms and other scriptures to state for specific needs.

Some pages: These are promises made by the Most High -- ye ask, ye shall receive.

KGWrUBo.png

uAWkVJK.png

iqxL4Vd.png

@Tair I haven't forgotten about you! :smile:
:mjgrin:

Thank you. Rep.

KingsOfKings

π”»π•£π•–π•’π•ž π•„π•–π•£π•”π•™π•’π•Ÿπ•₯
Daps
Keep em coming

Daps
I went down the rabbit hole of rootworking and hoodoo tik tok. There’s a lot of fakes, but some people really know what they’re doing. But I noticed a lot of the men and women are gay. Is there some correlation?

:francis: