Romans were the original colonizers.

GodsPerspective

Superstar
Daps
Yes. Maybe you didn't pay attention in class? Slavs got their name from the word "slave". Romans also called the French, Germans, and British "barbarians". Did you really never learn about how "the Roman empire fell because of barbarians" in school? If not then you either went to a trash school or you slept in class.
Pull down your skirt and act like a damn man :birdman:

You putting too much emotional side feminine energy in your comments. Stop it.

Now, yes we were taught they were enemies and barbarians, however it seemed more of a civil or lesser dispute between two similiar people. They barely went into detail regarding their battles with the gauls, etc. When I grew older and studied more, especially reading the quotes... damn that shyt just hit different :ohlawd:

Anwulika

All Star
Daps
That's great. The UK is talking about UK history. What about the rest of the world? :stopitslime:

You said that it's hidden history but how can it be hidden history if it's on an entire country's nationally teaching syllabus? Just because most Americans don't learn about it in school, doesn't mean that it's hidden.

Side note, we also learned about the Benin Empire in primary school.

Edit: just seen that you do learn this stuff in America so I really don't get your point.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
I'm bookmarking my spot in this thread. I already had this conversation in another thread with someone. It took the Roman's 300 years to conquer Britain as they were constantly attacked by different tribes Boudicea's being one. Hadrian's wall was the barrier and the furthest they managed to conquer for a long time.

OP this would be where your parents would fill in your knowledge outside of school or where you would do your own research. School only teaches the basics to stoke your curiosity and to pass you to the next phase.

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Pull down your skirt and act like a damn man :birdman:

You putting too much emotional side feminine energy in your comments. Stop it.

Now, yes we were taught they were enemies and barbarians, however it seemed more of a civil or lesser dispute between two similiar people. They barely went into detail regarding their battles with the gauls, etc. When I grew older and studied more, especially reading the quotes... damn that shyt just hit different :ohlawd:
Idk man you sound the angry one here. I'm just surprised that the American education system is failing so many people. Also, the Romans considered all barbarians as subhuman savages. It wasn't a "civil" dispute between perceived equals. The only people that the Romans did not consider savages were the Egyptians, Macedonians, Greeks, and Persians.

Anwulika

All Star
Daps
Quote me where I said that.

Sorry, you said that they kept it out of the mainstream which still makes no sense as British kids learn it in primary school and American posters here are saying that they learnt it in school as well. So, what's your point?

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Sorry, you said that they kept it out of the mainstream which still makes no sense as British kids learn it in primary school and American posters here are saying that they learnt it in school as well. So, what's your point?

US kids learned that Romans went around conquering people. They don't go into details on how and why they went about the conquering.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
Britannia as a country was named so back to the times of the Roman invasion. Back then England only stretched as far as Hadrian's wall (built to keep out undefeated Scottish rebels) as the Roman invasion was constantly fought back by Scottish tribes and other "native tribes to the land". Boudicea was one such warrior who battled the Roman's around this time. ( Think Xena warrior princess) whilst she wasnt Scottish she was still one of those tribes that occupied the land and had it's own customs till the Roman's finally conquered the land which took over 300 years.

The Roman's strategy was join us or die. Those who chose to join were given roman citizenship and access to the benefits that came with that. Travel, trade etc.

ReturnOfJudah

Veteran
Daps
Nimrod did that before Rome
maps-Tower-of-Babel-Nimrod-Eridu-Ur-Kingdom-Assyria-water-ocean-levels-higher-Persian-Gulf-3200BC.jpg