Roland Martin just broke down black media and the TV business on the heels of the failed Paramount sale of BET

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Cliffs please.
He makes fun of Tyler and puff for buying a majority stake that was equal to the total value twenty years ago.

On Roland's eyes, BET has depreciated since then, and not worth that much due to cord cutting.

In my opinion, Paramount wanted to hear a dollar value for BET. How much is BET worth to black ppl. They never intended on selling it.

BET+ caters black women 25-45. I don't see how that is a viable demographic. I would live for someone to tell me different.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Breh come on. This vid sucks. First off his staff sucks and isn't putting stuff on the screen in a decent matter. That long ass Iger clip they ran when Roland just wanted one sentence of the comment...what the hell is this shyt.

No, black people are not being forced to overpay for this. BET is going to sell and it's going to be close or above the asking price. And when it inevitably sells to a white person people will complain. What BET sold for a decade+ ago has no bearings on the current climate or costs. Nor is this about news, to be frank. It's about entertainment content. Tyler wants BET so he can roll his content into a revamped BET app. Which he would inevitably then sell to someone like Apple when they're looking for diverse content to acquire in a few years.

This isn't about black people, it's about making money.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Breh come on. This vid sucks. First off his staff sucks and isn't putting stuff on the screen in a decent matter. That long ass Iger clip they ran when Roland just wanted one sentence of the comment...what the hell is this shyt.

No, black people are not being forced to overpay for this. BET is going to sell and it's going to be close or above the asking price. And when it inevitably sells to a white person people will complain. What BET sold for a decade+ ago has no bearings on the current climate or costs. Nor is this about news, to be frank. It's about entertainment content. Tyler wants BET so he can roll his content into a revamped BET app. Which he would inevitably then sell to someone like Apple when they're looking for diverse content to acquire in a few years.

You’re forgetting the important detail that BET content catalog is mehhh and that’s putting it nicely. The original content just isn’t there to warrant the asking price as the majority of their content is licensed and they have no ownership to it.

I don't care for Roland for Rolland, but a lot of those cliff notes have merit to them as VH1 is arguably worth more than BET IMO.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
He makes fun of Tyler and puff for buying a majority stake that was equal to the total value twenty years ago.

On Roland's eyes, BET has depreciated since then, and not worth that much due to cord cutting.

In my opinion, Paramount wanted to hear a dollar value for BET. How much is BET worth to black ppl. They never intended on selling it.

BET+ caters black women 25-45. I don't see how that is a viable demographic. I would live for someone to tell me different.
That's one of the most lucrative demographics in the country. Why do you think black women are in damn near every marketing push on television, and why diversity pushes in film/shows focus on casting black women? Because they buy shyt, and they watch shyt (marketing), and they're involved in the most lucrative social media marketing (making shows go viral, discussion, etc).

Demographics matter in terms of money, when it comes to media. Disney is not casting black women and whipping out diverse films out of the kindness of their hearts. They want black viewers, and they want white viewers (specifically older white women) who value diversity. That's the lucrative coalition in the minds of a lot of companies right now. And they're willing to eat Ls (see: Little Mermaid) because they're convinced it's the long term inevitability of demographic shifts in America, and they want to be ahead of the curve.

Last edited:

daemonova

Daps
That's one of the most lucrative demographics in the country. Why do you think black women are in damn near every marketing push on television, and why diversity pushes in film/shows focus on casting black women? Because they buy shyt, and they watch shyt (marketing), and they're involved in the most lucrative social media marketing (making shows go viral, discussion, etc).

Demographics matter in terms of money, when it comes to media. Disney is not casting black women and whipping out diverse out of the kindness of their hearts. They want black viewers, and they want white viewers (specifically older white women) who value diversity. That's the lucrative coalition in the minds of a lot of companies right now. And they're willing to eat Ls (see: Little Mermaid) because they're convinced it's the long term inevitability of demographic shifts in America, and they want to be ahead of the curve.
OK.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

Roland had the best media analysis from a black perspective of anyone in media. NO ONE else broke this down about the finances, the market trends or what black consumers watch or how they're catered to.

I know you didn't watch the entire clip. Roland loves black people and wants to cater to black audiences with accurate information. He even went in on the black blogs lying about the nature of the deal.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

Demographics matter in terms of money, when it comes to media. Disney is not casting black women and whipping out diverse films out of the kindness of their hearts. They want black viewers, and they want white viewers (specifically older white women) who value diversity. That's the lucrative coalition in the minds of a lot of companies right now. And they're willing to eat Ls (see: Little Mermaid) because they're convinced it's the long term inevitability of demographic shifts in America, and they want to be ahead of the curve.
You're not addressing his point

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

Did yall miss this gem: If people aren't watching TV and college collegiate athletic conferences like the Pac-12 disintegrate then the contract value of the renegotiations GO DOWN.

i.e. there may be LESS money in pro sports contracts going forward if the business is being upended.

THAT was someone no one else has said.

daemonova

Daps
Did yall miss this gem: If people aren't watching TV and college collegiate athletic conferences like the Pac-12 disintegrate then the contract value of the renegotiations GO DOWN.

i.e. there may be LESS money in pro sports contracts going forward if the business is being upended.

THAT was someone no one else has said.
Pac 12 is not the NBA

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
You're not addressing his point
He said he didn't see how young/middle aged black women are a valuable demographic, and I explained why they're one of the most valuable. Does that mean BET is doing great? Of course not. Black women watch multiple channels and consume all types of media. But at the same time that doesn't mean BET has no value.

It's going to sell for more than 2b, guys. Like...you can listen to Roland talk about business shyt he doesn't understand and dap him but this will be resolved in a few months, the price will be high, and someone is gonna purchase it with the intent of re-selling it in a few years. I called this months ago when it comes to Tyler Perry and what his intentions are.