Rock's Preferred City Series (PCS): Charlotte or Raleigh?

Which do you prefer?

• Charlotte

Votes: 52 63.4%
  • Raleigh

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • Different Carolina City

Votes: 7 8.5%

• Total voters

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Lived in both, currently live in Raleigh, and I prefer Raleigh but more because I like the surrounding cities more than I like the surrounding cities for Charlotte. Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, and Indianville/Morrisville are better than what surrounds Charlotte, and they’re (Raleigh/Charlotte) already kinda close in my mind.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
OP already gave an impressive summary, but I don't think it can be overstated how nice the areas are. Even Charlotte, which by all means is a huge metro, is still really freaking easy on the eye and not overrun with squalor like you see in a lot of other major cities. And, yeah, there's a lot of black middle class and professional folks and you love to fukking see it. If there's one (admittedly weird) criticism I have from my time in RDU it's the dimly-lit highways. I always hated driving at night (or in the rain) because I couldn't see shyt, and this was on MAJOR freeways. I heard it was to combat "light pollution" but that's some bullshyt :childplease:. Yea, I'd definitely be open to moving back and buying if that's in the cards. It's a red state though, if that matters to folks. Flirts with purple at times but through and through its politics are definitely conservative.
I’m with you on the highways. When I first moved here I drove from Ohio to Raleigh, and it just kept getting darker and darker. I got no clue why the hell there aren’t lights on the highway.

Juliano Soprano

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I lived near the intersection of South abd Tyvola, used Tyvola Station rail to get me Uptown many times. Had acquaintances all over the South from Nations Ford to Steele Creek to all up and down South Bully...

Charlotte is definitely younger but also great for families. It's poverty rate is virtually equivalent to Raleigh and like Raleigh there are many middle class black areas. Both cities have a healthy black middle class...

I dated a girl from Durham years back, had a homeboy there so I frequented Durham and was never that impressed, still not. It's Fayetteville with a Duke/RTP stimulus. There are plenty of black events but I'm more tied to Fayetteville and can find a healthy number of black events there in comparison...

Man Epicentre was that deal! What are they gonna do with the site?

Both Rgh and Clt are full of transplants...

Greensboro is overrated. It's really pretty in the spring but it's not an impressive city. It's Rgh/Durm-lite with more of a slower, laid back vibe...
I’m from the south side, grew up on nations ford exit fo…I loved Durm breh, was super active out there so could always find events, downtown was dope cuz it was small and I had my spots so it felt like home, Beyu Caffe when they had jazz concerts, West End wine bar, the vault, the rooftop, that was my go to’s and then there was all kinda other spots like the restaurants and events like black august in the park etc etc etc. loved that place

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Charlotte.

Having spent a lot of time as a child in Raleigh, I’m not too fond of the area or East NC. So much to do in Charlotte, and there are some good areas to raise a family. I’m in Charlotte quite often throughout the year. Not a bad drive from here in Atlanta

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
How's the cost of living for both?

Increasing but cheap for both, with Charlotte marginally cheaper:

https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/raleigh-nc/charlotte-nc/50000

But my frame of reference is California and Virginia, two states with higher cost of living. So COL is bestvdetermined thry frame of reference...

Lived in both, currently live in Raleigh, and I prefer Raleigh but more because I like the surrounding cities more than I like the surrounding cities for Charlotte. Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, and Indianville/Morrisville are better than what surrounds Charlotte, and they’re (Raleigh/Charlotte) already kinda close in my mind.

I’m with you on the highways. When I first moved here I drove from Ohio to Raleigh, and it just kept getting darker and darker. I got no clue why the hell there aren’t lights on the highway.

Are you from Ohio?

I don't like the surrounding areas of either city but I prefer Concord over anywhere else on the outskirts of either one...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
One of the other appealing things about The R is this is one hustling ass city. Both legitimately and illegally. I've only been a few places where that hustle spirit is pervasive in the local culture, and it is here...

Charlotte by comparison obviously has plenty of hustlers but it's balanced out with the grimy cutthroat types. Charlotte also has a LOT of snitches running the streets, which again, snitches exist everywhere so there's more than their share in Rgh too but I didn't experience Rgh firsthand and when I met Rgh cats in traffic or people who ran in Rgh, that's not the reputation Rgh has...

Clt is widely known in those circles as a snitch haven, so many OT dudes slide thru The Q on whatever, every stare and federal task force has outsized presence in the city. It was honestly eye opening to witness, I never quite ran somewhere where that aspect was so public and open...

Clt dudes are definitely more aggressive, can be more violent, whereas the aggressively violent types from Rgh are fewer and easier to spot...

Upstate both cities have the most heads on any big yard. When I was up there was just friendly competition between the two, as in who had the most pull on a yard, most heads and money, but I never saw these two cities really beef. Just playful banter on who was running shyt but both had heads; a common refrain was that Rgh was soft, from Clt as well as other NC heads. Rgh dudes and other NC dudes called Clt dudes bums. Neither are totally accurate but we get why the cities had those labels...

Fresh

SOHH Vet since 2002
Daps
I always hear nothing but good things about North Carolina, especially Raleigh and Charlotte
:ehh:

my only question is, does North Carolina have to deal with any frequent wraths of nature, I'm asking because I remember North Carolina got hit with a bad flood in like 2018

was the flood an anomaly ??

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Raleigh cool for the slower family life…. Like if you wanna be somewhere and just work and when not working spend time with the wife and kids.

Charlotte you can do the same, but there are way more events and entertainment things going on.

Hell we conclude one festival that’s been going on for 2 weeks now and there was some shyt earlier today by my peoples Dupp&Swatt

Not to mention we have most of the major pro teams.

Unless you’re a hockey fan and like college bball with Carolina, NC State, and Duke out there