Rock's Preferred City Series (PCS): Charlotte or Raleigh?

Which do you prefer?

• Charlotte

Votes: 52 63.4%
  • Raleigh

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • Different Carolina City

Votes: 7 8.5%

• Total voters

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
North Carolina one of the most popular states in the country for people to move to and visit. Which city does The Coli prefer, or is there a different Carolina city you prefer? Can be a South Carolina one, there's overlap here...

Carolina residents or natives can vote too...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Both cities appeal to me for different reasons. I do personally prefer Charlotte: for me it's bigger with a more expansive range of opportunity and entertainment. But one of the things that are great about both are the large black presence, they do that equally well...

Raleigh is more of an intellectual's city. One of the smartest cities I've been in, there's a natural air of learning and creativeness here. It's pretty cool to see, and I think that has an effect on the low level of violence here too. There is a lower feeling of black people wanting to harm other black people here, only other city I've lived in like this was Virginia Beach and I love it. It's truly unique in America to live amongst black communities that aren't largely plagued with genocide...

Charlotte actually has this too but to a lesser degree. There's a lot of black folk with money in both, and I've met people from all over who come to both of these cities and point out they've never seen so many black families and well to do black folk...

Both cities are loud and proud of themselves. Charlotte completely embraces it's southern persona, and in some ways is a smaller Atlanta, larger Raleigh/Greensboro mashup. Highly entertaining city, materialistic. Raleigh has a complex about its southern nature, there is this consistent tying of itself to NY and DC particularly. I'd say Raleigh is the more fashionable city of the two in the sense it's fashion is less try hard, more inclusive of alternative styles, whereas Charlotte is trendy but rides along more generally "black" styles of fashion...

Great food in both great shopping in both, but Charlotte wins this by a landslide. Just way too many more eateries and shopping venues, and Charlotte crushes anything entertainment, period. Museums, parks, these things are not bad in Raleigh, they are just better in Charlotte. Music, arts, same thing. Traveling acts, venues for entertainment, sports events...

Raleigh can get boring if you are from a larger city (case in point, Charlotte). In actuality the scope of things to do here fits the size of the city, so there shouldn't be the expectation Raleigh has the entertainment of a larger city...

If you need a point of reference, Raleigh should be compared to cities like New Orleans, Memphis, Providence, Richmond, Jacksonville, Hartford, Milwaukee, Salt Lake City. These are peer cities of Raleigh, anything smaller than these cities is too small to be compared to Raleigh. Anything larger than these cities is too big....

Point of reference for Charlotte would be cities like Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Newark, Portland, Austin, Tampa, St Louis, Baltimore, Oakland...

Charlotte and Raleigh are two different weight classes so you shouldn't have the expectation that they mirror each other. If you're more of a big city person you'd rather be in Charlotte though Raleigh has its dashes of big city-isms (namely in shopping options)...

Ultimately, I love them both differently. I'd rather live in Charlotte but Raleigh is beyond tolerable and plenty of people prefer Raleigh for its own merits...

Juliano Soprano

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’ve lived in both RTP and CLT, born in CLT and lived in RTP for about 5 years in the brier creek area.

Without getting too deep, RTP is more family oriented, you have access to the other big NC cities in this one area, like I stayed in the brier creek area cause i was right in the middle of Durham and Raleigh and Morrisville, Chapel Hill and Cary were all close enough. When I was there I fukked with Durm way more cause more black events and people. Charlotte more young, south end, NoDa, Camp north end always packed with people and some type of events.

I’m back in Charlotte now, got here during Covid and honestly either place works for me.

SleezyBigSlim

Banned
Daps
I lived in Charlotte once and man them hoes love a Texas nikka they liked my accent, country broads love a country sounding nikka with a different accent than them:wow:

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Charlotte all the way

The rdu is great for starting your career and raising a family but I'm a city guy :yeshrug: and the rdu area is one continuous college town.

Meanwhile Charlotte is the most urbanized area in the south east outside of Atlanta and Miami.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I’ve lived in both RTP and CLT, born in CLT and lived in RTP for about 5 years in the brier creek area.

Without getting too deep, RTP is more family oriented, you have access to the other big NC cities in this one area, like I stayed in the brier creek area cause i was right in the middle of Durham and Raleigh and Morrisville, Chapel Hill and Cary were all close enough. When I was there I fukked with Durm way more cause more black events and people. Charlotte more young, south end, NoDa, Camp north end always packed with people and some type of events.

I’m back in Charlotte now, got here during Covid and honestly either place works for me.

I lived near the intersection of South abd Tyvola, used Tyvola Station rail to get me Uptown many times. Had acquaintances all over the South from Nations Ford to Steele Creek to all up and down South Bully...

Charlotte is definitely younger but also great for families. It's poverty rate is virtually equivalent to Raleigh and like Raleigh there are many middle class black areas. Both cities have a healthy black middle class...

I dated a girl from Durham years back, had a homeboy there so I frequented Durham and was never that impressed, still not. It's Fayetteville with a Duke/RTP stimulus. There are plenty of black events but I'm more tied to Fayetteville and can find a healthy number of black events there in comparison...

Charlotte is really trying to make waves with the new Soccer club and the light rail. But losing the Epic Centre hurt BIG TIME.

I say all this to say KEEP y'all asses out the Metrolina, too many new nikkas running around ruining shyt :scust:

Man Epicentre was that deal! What are they gonna do with the site?

Both Rgh and Clt are full of transplants...

Greensboro

Greensboro is overrated. It's really pretty in the spring but it's not an impressive city. It's Rgh/Durm-lite with more of a slower, laid back vibe...

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Haven’t spent much time in Charlotte, so I chose Raleigh. Raleigh is a nice city and you have a great breakdown for it. I wouldn’t mind living out there.

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
OP already gave an impressive summary, but I don't think it can be overstated how nice the areas are. Even Charlotte, which by all means is a huge metro, is still really freaking easy on the eye and not overrun with squalor like you see in a lot of other major cities. And, yeah, there's a lot of black middle class and professional folks and you love to fukking see it. If there's one (admittedly weird) criticism I have from my time in RDU it's the dimly-lit highways. I always hated driving at night (or in the rain) because I couldn't see shyt, and this was on MAJOR freeways. I heard it was to combat "light pollution" but that's some bullshyt :childplease:. Yea, I'd definitely be open to moving back and buying if that's in the cards. It's a red state though, if that matters to folks. Flirts with purple at times but through and through its politics are definitely conservative.