Robotech Live-Action Movie Latest Update

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Holding Better Than Any Superhero Movie in 15 Years

This one talks about percentages, but there's another article more recent where they talked more about the percentages and about the risk of having your movie banned. Even breaks down Russia a little bit. Might have been on AVS forum or Hollywood reporter or something. Just came through my feed the other day. I knew it wasn't all gravy, but they made it seem like they were lucky to get that 25% at times because of fraud and over reporting.

Some in China Welcome MPAA’s Audit of Chinese Box Office

This one talks about fraud and how numbers might be inflated and even stolen box office

Anyways, back to Robotech. Watching it over again for the first time in about 10 years. If they can somehow get the rights together, the first season alone is easily a trilogy. Its a little silly at times, but it would play over well with a diverse cast, the all female crew and intimidating Aliens. Plenty of action, a little romance and the Valykyries and Zentradi being identifiable symbols for the franchise.

I checked out the Viacom 2016 10K because they own the Transformers movies, which I believe is traditionally biggest western release in China.

From their MDA page 42

"Ancillary revenues decreased $17 million, or 9%, to $174 million in the year ended September 30, 2016. Domestic ancillary revenues remained flat, while international ancillary revenues decreased 30% principally due to lower merchandising revenues from Transformers: Age of Extinction."

Looks like international merchandise accounts for a large portion of their revenues. I don't know how much of that is china because it's not specified.

But jesus Christ the movie business is definitely not something that anyone should go into.

From their MDA page
"
Worldwide theatrical revenues decreased $236 million, or 28%, to $605 million in the year ended September 30, 2016. Revenues from our current year releases decreased $189 million principally due to the comparison with the performance of Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation in the prior year. Significant current year releases included Star Trek Beyond, Daddy’s Home, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, The Big Short and 10 Cloverfield Lane, compared with Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, Terminator: Genisys, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water and Interstellar in the prior year. Carryover revenues decreased $47 million principally reflecting revenues in the prior year from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Domestic and international theatrical revenues decreased 13% and 41%, respectively. Foreign exchange had a 3-percentage point unfavorable impact on international theatrical revenues."

Revenues declined 28% in a single year! and looks like it decreased 30% in the prior year. I didn't realize how bad it was getting. I think we are going to see big studios folding in the next few years.

I also looked at their segment disclosure (Financial Disclosure no.19)

It appears that revenue from "All other" (doesn't include US, EUR,middle east and africa) international revenue declined from $1.5 billion in 2014, when Transformers: AOE was released to 1 billion in 2016. It's hard to pull apart the numbers based on the vague information the 10K but it could mean that they got at most $500 million from transformers in "Other" regions. In the same year their total film revenue was $3.5 billion, so it could mean about 1/7 of their film revenue came from the Chinese release of transformers, which is not an insignificant portion.