Rivian Electric Truck - MKBHD Impressions

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
All these tech youtubers are Rivian dikkriders. Is it actually a good vehicle? None of them are qualified to say and I don't really see any long term reviews

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Any charging network in the US should be open to all vehicles that support it.

And charging port should be standardized.

Regulators slipping.
These other automakers had more than enough time to do the exact thing Tesla did but chose to keep gargling the nuts of big oil. :yeshrug:

But now that the Tesla charging port is the standard agreed upon by all of the automakers, spend the money to build additional fast charging networks.

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
I sold my shares right before they made the R2 announcement. I suck at picking stocks :pachaha:
Rivian is a buy and hold long term play for me. I’m dollar cost averaging in it for the next couple years. It’s risky, but I see enough green flags to trust that the company will weather the storm and become profitable within next 3 years.

I see them as one of Tesla’s main competitors in the future EV space. The stock is heavily discounted right now with all time high interest rates in an economy on the verge of collapse.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
not when equivalent homes to what I have now is double the price.

that's why I went EV
That’s gotta be eating up a good portion of time each day. Probably 2 hours or so. Even in an EV there is a cost to doing it both in power consumption and time you just give up to drive.

Let’s say you make $150K a year. That’s $72.12 an hour your time is worth. Driving 2 hours a day 5 days a week is $721.20 a week or $37502.40 a year. In 4 years that’s equal to a year of that salary per tax just ate up in time.

That doesn’t even factor in the power usage.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Rivian is a buy and hold long term play for me. I’m dollar cost averaging in it for the next couple years. It’s risky, but I see enough green flags to trust that the company will weather the storm and become profitable within next 3 years.

I see them as one of Tesla’s main competitors in the future EV space. The stock is heavily discounted right now with all time high interest rates in an economy on the verge of collapse.
You could have waited until Tesla turned its first profitable quarter and bought it. You’d have an average share price in the low single digits.

Rivian isn’t a long term play. It’s straight up gambling. You are so early to the party the building it’s going to be held at isn’t even completed yet. Rivian hasn’t even proven its business is sustainable. They’re losing $40K every time they sell a vehicle. That is not sustainable long term.

You do not have to buy a stock in its early days to profit. You can let a business prove itself first. Never buy a company with negative gross margins.

The average price of a new vehicle is $48K. Rivian is almost giving away the value of a new vehicle every time they sell one. Don’t care how nice their cars are if that doesn’t change fast they’re doomed.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
That’s gotta be eating up a good portion of time each day. Probably 2 hours or so. Even in an EV there is a cost to doing it both in power consumption and time you just give up to drive.

Let’s say you make $150K a year. That’s $72.12 an hour your time is worth. Driving 2 hours a day 5 days a week is $721.20 a week or $37502.40 a year. In 4 years that’s equal to a year of that salary per tax just ate up in time.

That doesn’t even factor in the power usage.
Dog, I was doing it in my car the first few months. I thought about moving, but noway am I going to pay over double the price of my current home to go somewhere similar. And I'm an engineer, I already did the math regarding time travelling and such. lol. It's second nature to me.

I charge overnight in my home daily and My electric bill is maybe 40/45 bucks higher compared to paying almost 700 in gas. We not even talking maintenance where I change my own air filter (30 bucks) and the windshield wiper/bug fluid (5 bucks once a year). No oil changes, timing belts, none of that shyt to deal with maintenance wise. So that's even more money saved.

:unimpressed:

You can't pay me to go back to gas. :snooze:

Last edited:

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
I charge overnight in my home daily and My electric bill is maybe 40/45 bucks higher compared to paying almost 700 in gas. We not even talking maintenance where I change my own air filter (30 bucks) and the windshield wiper/bug fluid (5 bucks once a year).

You have a long ass work commute or something?

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
The R2 looks nice, but 2026 is a long time away, and the EV landscape will be very different when it actually goes on sale.

MKBHD is becoming big tech's goto shill. I believe if a manufacturer provides access to their product to less than a certain number of reviewers (50?), then reviewers must label their review as "Promotion".

The R2 and R3 need to be on sale right now.

Both look the part and are the volume sellers that will hopefully balance things out for this company. But their timeline is atrocious and 2 years away is more like 6 years in the tech world.

You just know they are hoping a big fish like Apple comes in and gobbles them up — which is what Apple should’ve done instead of trying to made their own.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
You have a long ass work commute or something?
yes, roughly a hundred a day roundtrip.

I live in Fayette County in the Atlanta area (like 15 minutes south of the airport) and I drive to the Northwest area (Cobb County, Kennesaw) daily for my job.

But when I switched jobs from travelling weekly via flying leaving monday and returning thursday night/friday, I made sure that I got a nice bump in pay to come off the road. It's worth it.

Yeah, the travel sucks but I'd rather do that that take my boys out of their current environment and again, pay more than double for the equivalent home I paid for in Fayette.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Dog, I was doing it in my car the first few months. I thought about moving, but noway am I going to pay over double the price of my current home to go somewhere similar. And I'm an engineer, I already did the math regarding time travelling and such. lol. It's second nature to me.

I charge overnight in my home daily and My electric bill is maybe 40/45 bucks higher compared to paying almost 700 in gas. We not even talking maintenance where I change my own air filter (30 bucks) and the windshield wiper/bug fluid (5 bucks once a year).

The amount of disinformation going around regarding EVs is ridiculous. My wife put 40k miles on her EV and the car is DCFC'd maybe once a month for a road trip. We almost exclusively charge at home, overnight. Hell, the first 2 years, we only used a 110v EVSE as my wife's daily commute was less than the 40 miles of range she put back in overnight. Regarding maintenance, tire rotation every 10k miles, wiper blades, and in-cabin air filter. That's all that maintenance listed on the factory maintenance schedule for the first 150k miles. We don't plan on buying any more ICE cars either.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The amount of disinformation going around regarding EVs is ridiculous. My wife put 40k miles on her EV and the car is DCFC'd maybe once a month for a road trip. We almost exclusively charge at home, overnight. Hell, the first 2 years, we only used a 110v EVSE as my wife's daily commute was less than the 40 miles of range she put back in overnight. Regarding maintenance, tire rotation every 10k miles, wiper blades, and in-cabin air filter. That's all that maintenance listed on the factory maintenance schedule for the first 150k miles. We don't plan on buying any more ICE cars either.
That disinformation exist because EVs still aren’t for the average person. They’re for wealthy people with high incomes. When more regular people can afford them that will go away.