Right gimmick, wrong wrestler

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
lets discuss characters who were functionally good gimmicks that could have gotten over, but were applied to the wrong guy

Also, if you have a suggestion as to who wouldve been a better choice, mention them

First

This was pretty dumb, but it was made way worse because it made no sense for an englishman to have this gimmick...and even me at 15 was VERY FAMILIAR with lord steven regal and the blueblood shyt. It made no sense to shove him into this role.

I think it wouldve worked with:
Test.jpg

Test had no character at all...he was pretty much big guy who wrestles....i think making look like the brawny man and made him regals character wouldve worked in 98/99. Maybe albert as well.

Add on

Last edited:

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps

I don't necessarily think O'Haire was the wrong guy for it, he just failed to go anywhere with it. Whether it was because he couldn't deliver it without laughing during live promos which was the dirt sheet scoop at that time or whatever else, it never went anywhere and he ended up Piper's lackey.

Who I think could've been perfect for it at the time was actually the guy in the OP, William Regal. It wouldn't have been much of a stretch from who he's really always been, and from a promo standpoint it would've been delivered way better. Its not like he was doing much at this time outside of meandering in the RAW tag scene before getting sick from a tour of India.

Spartan

God Of War
Daps
Reppin
Olympus
I think Balor's Demon gimmick is wasted on him. It just doesn't work for me. He's basically a small cruiserweight, can't find him intimidating at all.

Should be on a bigger guy who can go....the next Taker.

But hey... he got himself over.
:yeshrug:

This dude should get it.

WWE signs former NFL player Brennan Williams

Last edited:

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC

I don't necessarily think O'Haire was the wrong guy for it, he just failed to go anywhere with it. Whether it was because he couldn't deliver it without laughing during live promos which was the dirt sheet scoop at that time or whatever else, it never went anywhere and he ended up Piper's lackey.

Who I think could've been perfect for it at the time was actually the guy in the OP, William Regal. It wouldn't have been much of a stretch from who he's really always been, and from a promo standpoint it would've been delivered way better. Its not like he was doing much at this time outside of meandering in the RAW tag scene before getting sick from a tour of India.

The Devil's Advocate would have been PIFF :ohlawd: in the right hands. I hate that O'Haire never took off with it.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
I think Balor's Demon gimmick is wasted on him. It just doesn't work for me. He's basically a small cruiserweight, can't find him intimidating at all.

Should be on a bigger guy who can go....the next Taker.

But hey... he got himself over.
:yeshrug:

This dude should get it.

WWE signs former NFL player Brennan Williams
But Devitt created that...

I get your point though.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734

100% agree on this...It was ahead of its time....Punk or Jericho would kill this character. From the same era I'd say STEVIE RICHARDS would've just crushed it

EDIT: Got damn, I hadn't seen these in years...More fire than I remembered.

"And if there IS a god :youngsabo:....He'll forgive you :demonic: :shaq:"