Rich people abusing KickStarter

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
Really? You can't hate celebrities for using Kickstarter? People who don't need our money, yet come crawling to us looking to use our money to fund a project that they're not sure will succeed or fail. It's all rather convenient, why not mitigate the chance of personal failure by getting the project you want, with little or no accountability when it may or may not fail?

The idea of celebrities using Kickstarter is utterly absurd. Have us footmen fund the project up front, then pay for the project once it's finished, and often in return receiving nothing of material worth or value with their little gifts and incentives. Oh thanks for shouting me out in a tweet Spike :tu:

Kickstarter is a website that has some flaws, I would advise regular people from using it, but the idea of celebrities using it is laughable.

How is it any different from all the other Kickstarter projects that get funded and go absolutely nowhere? Sometimes people want to just see things happen and want to help out if they can. It is a voluntary thing at the end of the day.

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
How is it any different from all the other Kickstarter projects that get funded and go absolutely nowhere? Sometimes people want to just see things happen and want to help out if they can. It is a voluntary thing at the end of the day.

The stakes are much lower for celebrities in these type of things. If the project fails, Spike can likely still fund his project whether it's through finding other investors or out of his own pocket. Spike won't be hurting after this whatever the outcome, there's always going to be a cash cushion to fall back on.

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
The stakes are much lower for celebrities in these type of things. If the project fails, Spike can likely still fund his project whether it's through finding other investors or out of his own pocket. Spike won't be hurting after this whatever the outcome, there's always going to be a cash cushion to fall back on.

I can agree with that.

The thing I don't have a problem with though is popular fan projects that will serve as continuations of things that a lot of people loved.

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
Good comeback because movies can be made and distributed from the cost of a courtside ticket. That you don't even know if Spike paid for or was simply comped. :rudy:

What is your response to the other points that I made about "OPM" and businesses like PBS asking for donations?

OPM is cool but if it isn't your money then you still gotta bow down to whoever is supplying the dough. I mean Spike is in his introduction bytching about how certain movies aren't getting made anymore, well nikka if it's that bad then by any means necessary. Clerks is one of the greatest independent movies of all time and it was made for less than 25K. Spike can make a great movie and if he uses people willing to work for free or cheap rates (i.e college students, up and coming actors, no name musicians) he can get it done cheaper than a million. shyt he can finance everything for 6 figures out his own pockets and cut people in on the back end if it makes a profit. Plenty of big name actors and actresses have starred in independent movies and took a major pay cut or got their money on the back end.to be in it.

As for PBS....uh PBS is public broadcasting meaning NOT FOR PROFIT. Donations are cool. Name one Spike Lee film that was made NOT FOR PROFIT.

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
Kickstarter got a Veronica Mars movie in the works so I can't hate celebrities going after it.

For a little balance though, people gave Zach Braff a bunch of shyt for funding his movie the same way. It's all about creative control, brehs.

this cacs can ask for money to fund a veronica mars movie( :blessed: ) but spike lee who blessed us with many classic cannot do the same :stopitslime: as if he is not going to put his money into is own project too

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
Its a general rule that you're not supposed to fund your own movie. Its like that episode of the simpsons where Mr Burns hired Steven Spielbergo to direct the film about him.​

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
this cacs can ask for money to fund a veronica mars movie( :blessed: ) but spike lee who blessed us with many classic cannot do the same :stopitslime: as if he is not going to put his money into is own project too

How much you donated so far breh? Just curious

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
How much you donated so far breh? Just curious

the way my bank account is set up...
tumblr_inline_mppe4ben9n1qz4rgp.gif

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Just pledged $250. For all the cats complaining about Tyler Perry and his c00ning, you better support Spike :ufdup:

But let's be real, most y'all nikkas would rather complain about the image of black folks and Tyler Perry than actually do something about :stopitslime:

WheresWallace

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
OPM is cool but if it isn't your money then you still gotta bow down to whoever is supplying the dough. I mean Spike is in his introduction bytching about how certain movies aren't getting made anymore, well nikka if it's that bad then by any means necessary. Clerks is one of the greatest independent movies of all time and it was made for less than 25K. Spike can make a great movie and if he uses people willing to work for free or cheap rates (i.e college students, up and coming actors, no name musicians) he can get it done cheaper than a million. shyt he can finance everything for 6 figures out his own pockets and cut people in on the back end if it makes a profit. Plenty of big name actors and actresses have starred in independent movies and took a major pay cut or got their money on the back end.to be in it.

As for PBS....uh PBS is public broadcasting meaning NOT FOR PROFIT. Donations are cool. Name one Spike Lee film that was made NOT FOR PROFIT.
I hear you. I ain't look at Spike's video but I watched that one with the dude from scubs and guess its for creative control as well as no risk. I think independent people can still use this to raise money as long as nobody scams people on here and give the site a bad reputation.

Mr Uncle Leroy

All Star
Daps
kickstarter a win, win

you get something for something...

investors could fund a movie and the movie flops

for the most part, if a movie or project gets funded on kickstarter, you get a finished product or memento from the project