Rich people abusing KickStarter

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
Dumbest thing you could ever post. First off, we don;t know how much he has. What if spike is only worth $5M. You mean to tell me he should invest a fifth of his worth in a fickle movie business?

Secondly, most business people operate on the rule "OPM" Other peoples money. That is how you minimize risk and in this case, he can gauge how many people actually want to see the movie. If people want to see it they will donate to make it happen.

PBS (television network) has been asking for donations for their entire existence. What's wrong with asking for donations. If I was a movie director I would do the same thing.

fukk outta here breh...smh.
FOH breh, if u got courtside season tickets every season in NYC u got more than 5 million bruh missme wit that shyt

Malcolmxxx_23

Let's go panthers
Supporter
Daps
I aint hating on Spike. If he can get it then get it. I just think its wack that he has 8 figures in the bank and is asking u to support him on a medium thats made to help folks who aint got shyt. I said the same about Eli Roth when he had a kicstarter projec so stfu about blacks holding back blacks.
what types of films are you working on?

WheresWallace

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Plus people complain about major black movies being on some c00nery and when black people try to get funding they get turned down.

Django = Major Budget Funding
Haitian Revolution Movie = No Funding

Spike Lee has a reputation for being anti-c00n so why act surprised when he doesn't get funded for his projects. Either you are a cac and don't see the politics or you just a nikka that will complain about everything. Regardless.

WheresWallace

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
FOH breh, if u got courtside season tickets every season in NYC u got more than 5 million bruh missme wit that shyt
Good comeback because movies can be made and distributed from the cost of a courtside ticket. That you don't even know if Spike paid for or was simply comped. :rudy:

What is your response to the other points that I made about "OPM" and businesses like PBS asking for donations?

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
Good comeback because movies can be made and distributed from the cost of a courtside ticket. That you don't even know if Spike paid for or was simply comped. :rudy:

What is your response to the other points that I made about "OPM" and businesses like PBS asking for donations?

nikkas is missing the point im making. If Spike wants to ask the public for money cool, start ur own website to do it. Spike asking for money on kickstarter is like Lebron playing in the mcdonalds all american game. Its not for u its for lesser known talents. Spike cant call Denzel and a few folks he worked on movies with to generate that million? And all the peple that donate....wht happens if the movie makes 50 million whose pockets do that go into? Kickstater is a platform for lesser known talents.

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
Kickstarter got a Veronica Mars movie in the works so I can't hate celebrities going after it.

For a little balance though, people gave Zach Braff a bunch of shyt for funding his movie the same way. It's all about creative control, brehs.

observe

Banned
Daps
Reppin
The Forest Where Hope Died
Spike Lee has made c00ning movies..like that horrible movie about blacks in the world war and fat dude was acting like a straight c00n..that movie sucked..he doesn't need funding from kick starter..like dude said..he has 8 figures..all you need is creativity and a million or less to make a dope indie flick..he has 40 mill..just fund ya self spike and leave kick starter for the people who don't have enough money to get their projects off the ground..

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Kickstarter is pretty much people begging for free money and giving away crumbs in return. It's bound to eventually be exploited by the rich. There was some mom who is supposedly a millionaire that was begging for money to send her girl to 'rpg camp.' I believe she ended up raising like 20,000 and who knows what was done with that money. My problem with bigwigs getting in on the kickstarter thing is that it's taking a lot of attention away from indies who don't have sources to be financed otherwise. I wouldn't be surprised if big companies eventually found a way to start financing things via kickstarter if they haven't already. Why borrow from the bank or sell stock to investors when you can get money interest free?

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
Kickstarter got a Veronica Mars movie in the works so I can't hate celebrities going after it.

For a little balance though, people gave Zach Braff a bunch of shyt for funding his movie the same way. It's all about creative control, brehs.

Really? You can't hate celebrities for using Kickstarter? People who don't need our money, yet come crawling to us looking to use our money to fund a project that they're not sure will succeed or fail. It's all rather convenient, why not mitigate the chance of personal failure by getting the project you want, with little or no accountability when it may or may not fail?

The idea of celebrities using Kickstarter is utterly absurd. Have us footmen fund the project up front, then pay for the project once it's finished, and often in return receiving nothing of material worth or value with their little gifts and incentives. Oh thanks for shouting me out in a tweet Spike :tu:

Kickstarter is a website that has some flaws, I would advise regular people from using it, but the idea of celebrities using it is laughable.