REVEALED: Open A.I. Staff Warn "The progress made on Project Q* has the potential to endanger humanity" (REUTERS)

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I stopped following AI news because it was getting corny.
Same. It's funny because two years ago people thought we'd have lost 80% of the jobs by now as we approach 2025. It seems crazy, but it's been nearly a whole two years since ChatGPT released back in 2022.

At this point I'm just using it as another Google that I don't trust as easily when I'm doing more complicated work. It basically handles tedious writing tasks like status reports or summarizing a wall of text.

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
AI should only really be used to find cures for diseases and help with natural disasters and climate change the rest of the functions seem like a disaster for the economy and society

are millions of other uses cases invalid because you want to prevent economic disaster. maybe we aren't meant to be cogs in a machne.

Last edited:
Daps
are millions of other uses cases that aren't invalid because you want to prevent economic disaster. maybe we are meant to be cogs in a machne.
Why are you pushing for this?

We will become a soulless society devoid of art and culture for capitalist’s convenience

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Same. It's funny because two years ago people thought we'd have lost 80% of the jobs by now as we approach 2025. It seems crazy, but it's been nearly a whole two years since ChatGPT released.

At this point I'm just using it as another Google that I don't trust as easily when I'm doing more complicated work. It basically handles tedious writing tasks like status reports.
I think a lot of us got caught up in the hype. It's going to be some time before A.I. starts impacting jobs.

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Same. It's funny because two years ago people thought we'd have lost 80% of the jobs by now as we approach 2025. It seems crazy, but it's been nearly a whole two years since ChatGPT released back in 2022.

At this point I'm just using it as another Google that I don't trust as easily when I'm doing more complicated work. It basically handles tedious writing tasks like status reports or summarizing a wall of text.
Yeah I've also been using it to make writing less time consuming. Other than that I mostly use it for recommendations like "find me the best book for ____". Only thing I'm watching is Nvidia's NIN's. They basically make custom GPTs and tune them for specific use cases (healthcare AI for example). The rest is just a gimmick for tech bros.

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
AI should only really be used to find cures for diseases and help with natural disasters and climate change the rest of the functions seem like a disaster for the economy and society
Good point. AI could 100% be used to predict natural disasters. This is why I dislike liberatarians. Because of them you cant direct life changing tech like AI towards where it needs to be. Instead tech bros should be able to use it to supercharge propaganda because "the invisible hand".

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Why are you pushing for this?

We will become a soulless society devoid of art and culture for capitalist’s convenience

was society "soulless" when we didn't practice capitalism for the vast majority of humanity's existence?

i'm not worried about art or culture suffering in a potentially post-scarcity future.

Daps
was society "soulless" when we didn't practice capitalism for the vast majority of humanity's existence?

i'm not worried about art or culture suffering in a potentially post-scarcity future.
I agree with you about capitalism which is why I said AI should only really be used for live saving / planet saving purposes.

Capitalists want to eliminate human labour from the process of creating.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I agree with you about capitalism which is why I said AI should only really be used for live saving / planet saving purposes.

Capitalists want to eliminate human labour from the process of creating.

humans won't ever stop laboring over things they have an interest in or are passionate about. why do you believe AI labor would only benefit capitalists, why not the common individual at home?

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
I'm def curious where this is all going but a part of me feels that I've experienced enough major societal changes for three lifetimes and I still have decades to go hopefully. They started off cute with cable TV and the OG home PC's. Cold war ends, then they dropped pagers on 'em, and then cell phones. But then they fukked around and hit 'em with dial up internet. I know you hear that shyt... :skip:

LA Riots.

But they weren't done yet, nephew. Not by a long fukking shot. Now here comes the high speed internet and his homie the smartphone. (Insert 9/11, Mission Accomplished! :skip: Yall heard of these things called drones? :krs:

GPS smacks MapQuests kufi off overnight. Housing Bubble, Enron, bailouts... :skip:
Gitmo, Abu Ghraib... :sadcam:

Oh btw, how is globalism working out for everyone?

How much oil is leaking in to the Gulf of Mexico?

Katrina.

Cops murdering people caught on video is now a normal thing.
Covid, George Floyd and the uprising... :wow:

And then they drop AI with all of its implications, imagined or otherwise. :beli: Yo, am I wrong for feeling that we as a species have never experienced such radical change in such a short period of time. I don't believe humanity has had a chance to digest what it has already gone through but they are already onto 1000 other major events that just get brushed aside as what is directly in front of us is engaged with.

I need some time to take this all in, brehs... :manny: