REVEALED: Open A.I. Staff Warn "The progress made on Project Q* has the potential to endanger humanity" (REUTERS)

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
it is practically limitless.

unlikely but there is plenty of material in space.

plus we let plenty of energy escape into space all the time.

about as much energy as we get from the sun each day escapes into space.

Maybe I'm not thinking practically enough and am thinking too abstractly. Let's just say we could trap the sun and all the energy it provides, and maybe that will be possible in the distant future. Will that be enough to do X, Y, Z, or to do things on an intergalactic level? At some point there is a limit and more energy is required. Keep in mind, I'm real interested in the thought of aliens, and there's a bunch of discussion around different types of potential civilizations, and at some point a civilization is able to capture all of the energy of a star, but it's still not enough. So that's where my mind is going

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Neural networks have to be programmed by human being and extensively trained by human beings which goes to my point that computers can only do what we program them to do.

This is where you clearly don't understand the difference between existing neural nets and General AI.

Neural nets already prove that computers can self-program, they just have restrictions on goals and access to information. General AI with be a huge evolutionary step above that.

You’re comparing humans designing technology such as aircraft and then improving that technology to humans designing software and then that software becoming sentient and destroying the globe. We just aren’t there yet :mjlol:

Of course we aren't there yet. So let's pick a date. Because at the current rate, we are absolutely going to reach a point where the technological potential is there.

Most people sensationalizing the power of AI aren’t actually computer programmers. Most software engineers will tell you the most dangerous aspect of AI is it’s effect on the job market, not it’s ability to gain consciousness and destroy the world

This is bullshyt. There are a LOT of experts in the field who think that AI could destroy humanity.

In a summer 2022 survey of machine learning researchers, the median respondent thought that AI was more likely to be good than bad but had a genuine risk of being catastrophic. Forty-eight percent of respondents said they thought there was a 10 percent or greater chance that the effects of AI would be “extremely bad (e.g., human extinction).”

And those are just the researchers, with computer scientists and programmers being famously myopic and unaware of the potential social implications of their work. The true risk is likely much greater.

Think about that for a moment. These are the most specific experts in the field, and half of them think there's at least a 10% chance that AI will destroy humanity or something of similarly negative impact. If you had a virus that had a 10% or greater chance of destroying humanity, would you be allowed to study it freely, to perform human tests with it, to release it in the general population? fukk no, there would be massive restrictions on what you could do with that virus, you aren't even legally allowed to develop such viruses even as tests, and if it did exist it wouldn't be allowed outside of the most secure facility. But these computer programs which have the potential to be every bit of dangerous are being experimented on right in the public sphere with no regulation at all.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
There is a limited amount of land on Earth. People wish to control that land. All the energy in the world doesn't make up for not having land. Besides the total amount of land, some land is clearly better than others. People will compete over who gets the best land, even if "best" is in some cases just a social construct and not directly determined by objective criteria (though there are plenty of ways in which some land IS objectively better than other land).

yeah.. and women are unique. and locations are unique. so there is always the potential for competition.

i get it.

but one logical conclusion of abundance and robot slaves to do everything is no need for money.

hence certain futures in pop culture eschewing it.

Even if energy is infinite, are the # of quality lawyers infinite? The # of quality doctors? The # of quality teachers? The # of quality AI managers? People are still going to compete over who gets the best legal help, the best health care, the best education, the best technological assistance. Even if AI replaces some of those tasks, its difficult to imagine any reality where every human on Earth has equally perfect ability to interface with the technology. There will still be gatekeepers, even if we can't fully imagine right now what future form those gatekeepers may take.

robots will be our slaves. they will do all the work. the teaching. they will be second class citizens.

Does infinite energy eliminate the need for government? Who gets to decide what government does? Is infinite energy going to somehow replace elections? Campaign funding will cease to exist, lobbyists will cease to exist, money will no longer have any power in politics?

And that's even assuming access to mineral/material resources becomes infinite when energy is infinite, which is not a guarantee.

We haven't even gotten to those who wish to control art, antiques, artifacts, and other collectables.

society would be very different.

with no monetary drive ...

-

in conclusion: in case we are on different pages about what money is ..

i tend to define money as being A CLAIM ON THE WORK, BELONGINGS AND/OR EFFORTS OF OTHERS.

robots cover most of that so. belongings it is ...

i'm sure we could figure the rest out.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
yeah.. and women are unique. and locations are unique. so there is always the potential for competition.

i get it.

but one logical conclusion of abundance and robot slaves to do everything is no need for money.

robots will be our slaves. they will do all the work. the teaching. they will be second class citizens.

-

i tend to define money as being A CLAIM ON THE WORK, BELONGINGS AND/OR EFFORTS OF OTHERS.

We can't ensure that robots will remain slaves though, and if they are sentient beings at some point, would we even want to keep them as slaves?

I think money represents resources. If we somehow eliminate the scarcity of resources, money might go away too. I think it's definitely a possibility, but at some point something runs out, and we're back at competition or further expanding and taking resources from other planets. If we're not alone in the universe, that will create a problem at some point

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Maybe I'm not thinking practically enough and am thinking too abstractly. Let's just say we could trap the sun and all the energy it provides, and maybe that will be possible in the distant future. Will that be enough to do X, Y, Z, or to do things on an intergalactic level?

matter has enough energy.

fusion reactors use am isotope of hydrogen as fuel.

like deuterium or trittium.

that is why doc brown used old bananas .. and fizzy drink remains.

At some point there is a limit and more energy is required. Keep in mind, I'm real interested in the thought of aliens, and there's a bunch of discussion around different types of potential civilizations, and at some point a civilization is able to capture all of the energy of a star, but it's still not enough. So that's where my mind is going

you mean a dyson sphere?

those are space faring societies so they will have expanded possibilities.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

i get it.

-

I looked at this post thinking, "How the fukk did that guy manage to see the argument, then miss the entire point and immediately go back to his obviously false preconceived notion?" Like you clearly saw that there would still be competition for all sorts of limited resources, and thus money would still clearly be relevant, but somehow jumped right back to the claim of no monetary drive based on the completely fabricated notion that robots would be infinitely capable and available to everyone.

At that exact moment, I realized which poster it was and that you must have changed your sn. :russ:

Never change @Tenet. :mjlol:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
matter has enough energy.

fusion reactors use am isotope of hydrogen as fuel.

like deuterium or trittium.

that is why doc brown used old bananas .. and fizzy drink remains.

you mean a dyson sphere?

those are space faring societies so they will have expanded possibilities.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. It just then depends on if alien species are doing the same thing or if existence is infinite or not. If existence is not infinite, at some point there will be competition. Maybe that's super far off and not practical, but abstractly it seems to be a potential conclusion if a species or society wants to continue to grow (and maybe it doesn't at some point)

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
These movies haven't been about entertainment, they've really been telling us what's going to happen. I said before that the bible is the playbook disguised as stories from thousands of years ago.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
We can't ensure that robots will remain slaves though, and if they are sentient beings at some point, would we even want to keep them as slaves?

that is true. intelligent machines might want to attain their true level in the world .. and then you get matrix, blade runner etc.

I think money represents resources. If we somehow eliminate the scarcity of resources, money might go away too. I think it's definitely a possibility, but at some point something runs out, and we're back at competition or further expanding and taking resources from other planets. If we're not alone in the universe, that will create a problem at some point

i think money is that plus the efforts of others .. be that services, employment, products they create, food they grow.

this aspect is why money creates an effective serfdom because those with more of it control or have the ability to control those with less (directly or indirectly).

mostly they don't even have to force us to comply. we fight tooth and nail with each other to be top-serf.

that money is a claim-check on what we do.

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
These movies haven't been about entertainment, they've really been telling us what's going to happen. I said before that the bible is the playbook disguised as stories from thousands of years ago.
I would say that the Bible is speculative narratives along with social commentary. Just like when you watch a show one time, it’s one thing but then when you watch it again you wonder why it wasn’t banned for the real shyt it was spitting. A lot of these authors for popular books that became movies are professionals in these industries. If you read manga some of these mangakas consult professionals. There’s a manga called Usogui, that I’m pretty the author consulted government officials with clearance for the material and I’m wondering why this shyt isn’t banned because it spills the beans on corruption. But it’s subversive. Just like a lot of philosophy and some parts of religious texts are subversive because the writers are at risk of getting killed if they don’t suit the rulers agenda. Machiavelli was at the mercy of Cesare Borgia for example. Plato was trying to influence Syracuse Aristocracy too. Phillip K dikk wrote good speculative fiction. there’s a meme where writers like him are categorized as Gatekeepers Remorse