Duckburg, NY
Capcom's run from '98 - '01 was pretty impressive

Resident Evil 2
SFIII
Capcom vs SNK
Marvel Vs. Capcom 1/2
Devil May Cry

Then increasing game costs happened and we get a good game once or twice a year

Yeah thats kind of the game industry in general.

Capcom def rebounded after some rough years last decade. DMC, MVC Infinite, RE6,SFV launch....etc

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
Yeah thats kind of the game industry in general.

Capcom def rebounded after some rough years last decade. DMC, MVC Infinite, RE6,SFV launch....etc
It WILL reach a breaking point and it'll be up for consumers to decide

When "AA" games now cost the same to make as "AAA" from 10 years ago, something will give, especially when they retail for the same price.

It's why F2P and GaaS will continue to increase in popularity

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It WILL reach a breaking point and it'll be up for consumers to decide

When "AA" games now cost the same to make as "AAA" from 10 years ago, something will give, especially when they retail for the same.

It's why F2P and GaaS will continue to increase in popularity

But on the flip side pre-fab engines are getting more accessible and way better for smaller AA and even indie developers. Unreal engine 4 has been a game changer and UE5 looks to be twice as good.

Look at Hellblade or a Plagues tale...games that look like that could have never been made on the budgets they were 10 years ago. Those look like AAA games and they cost less than 10 mil to make

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
But on the flip side pre-fab engines are getting more accessible and way better for smaller AA and even indie developers. Unreal engine 4 has been a game changer and UE5 looks to be twice as good.

Look at Hellblade or a Plagues tale...games that look like that could have never been made on the budgets they were 10 years ago. Those look like AAA games and they cost less than 10 mil to make
Middlewear engines have always existed, but that only saves times from creating specific engines for each game, which was really only an issue during the PS2 era.

The issue is really with consumers and their expectations for games on next-gen and metacritic scores.
We automatically expect the next God of War to be as good or better than the 2018 game (graphics, locales, story, voice etc...) while being the same length or more. When in reality It doesn't have to be. That expectation isn't sustainable

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Think I'm holding off as well. I got into Warzone heavy the past couple months, just bought Returnal, and I'm copping ME next wk. I'm copping on PC, so that "sale" shouldn't take long :mjlit:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Middlewear engines have always existed, but that only saves times from creating specific engines for each game, which was really only an issue during the PS2 era.

The issue is really with consumers and their expectations for games on next-gen and metacritic scores.
We automatically expect the next God of War to be as good or better than the 2018 game (graphics, locales, story, voice etc...) while being the same length or more. When in reality It doesn't have to be. That expectation isn't sustainable

Well, yeah, but that exist everywhere. Consumers are conditioned to be entitled, if mcdonalds opens up a mcdonalds 2 they are gonna expect an exponential increase in quality of food and services. Numerical system means that 2 is always better than 1