Report: The Walking Dead developer Telltale Games closing down

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Yeah, I remember hearing gaming sites constantly complain and wonder why they didn't fix their engine with all the money they were making. Still it's surprising to hear considering the fact they worked with so many big IP's, games on basically every platform, and had a structure which seemed like it was working. No way they were spending the kind of money that some developers do for AAA titles, so perhaps they expanded too quickly or managed finances badly.

It doesn't surprise me because I kept hearing stories about them biting off more than they can chew. There was a point 2 or 3 years ago where they had 4 games actively in progress at the same time. There was employees complaining about being overworked and complaining about the company.

They oversaturated the market, and other studios bit off of them and started doing it better.

Blackfyre

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm
Aside from the MineCraft one, I bought and loved everyone of their games.
tocry.png

Kingshango

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
They took on too many franchises when they got hot imo :francis:

GOT
Batman
TWD
GOTG
TWAU
Borderlands
Minecraft

Edit:

Just read that they only profited on TWD S1, Minecraft & 7 Days To Die :picard:

And Stranger Things was in development, they seemingly bit off more than they could chew.

4-Rin

Superstar
Daps
and no Boarderlands sequel :mjcry:

Even if they weren't closing they would have never made a sequel anyway. I think borderlands was their biggest flop of I'm not mistaken.

The employees laid off should band together and form their own studio. Create a kickstarter for a new project. Maybe reach out to the Venture Bros or Archer creators if they want to use a known IP.

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Even if they weren't closing they would have never made a sequel anyway. I think borderlands was their biggest flop of I'm not mistaken.

The employees laid off should band together and form their own studio. Create a kickstarter for a new project. Maybe reach out to the Venture Bros or Archer creators if they want to use a known IP.

No more Kickstarter games. Bloodstained gets delayed every year. I want my $300 back.

taker597

Superstar
Daps
They blockbuster themselves into implosion. They expanded staff at an insustainable rate for a niche property without evolving their platform.

They been critized for years for never expanding the formula and simply make AAA $60 GAMES WITH these properties. A full on action adventure GOTG marvel game would probably been a solid game and huge revenue. They kept trying to up production values(Which probably drove up cost), but held themselves back by being AA titles and budget prices. Episodic DLC never really where barn burners for big titles. So, a company financial backing is basically banking on doing DLC? It never made sense to me. They should of abandon the episodic format a long time ago and released full season as games if they wanted to do this interactive movie genre. Who wanted to play episode months apart when you could wait till the final episode with a discount. They give so little value on a launch day.