Rediscovering my joy of reading...

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I'm flying outta town for work in a few hours but I stopped at the Green Rd library near me in North Raleigh, as recently I've had an itch to start reading again...

I have a desire to live a cleaner, healthier lifestyle, and in accordance with that, that means physically and mentally. Reading is something I enjoyed as a child, I read when I did time, and I do think being a voracious reader for much of my life developed me in positive ways...

I haven't read since the end of my last lengthy jail run which was over 9 years ago. I'm honestly shamed and embarrassed...

I forgot libraries existed, and how serene and exciting at the same time they are. Looking forward to more and here's to challenging everyone else to continue to find their passions and happy places; the library is one of mine!

Great Expectations (2024) Memoir/fiction about a young, idealistic low level staffer from Harlem, during the Obama campaign in 2008, inside the politics of fund raising, the world of summer 2007/2008, and a coming of age story, from clubs in Los Angeles, fundraisers at Quincy Jones mansion, and Martha's Vineyard, picture of elite black circles and DC scene.

The Rent Collectors: (2024) non fiction about an infamous 2007 murder in LA, MacArthur Park by 18th Street gangsters and how that killing reverberated though the lives of the killer, his gang, the federal prosecutors looking to indict 18th St, the detectives soling the murders, and the people who worked and lived in Macarthur Park.

California Soul: (2022) Memoir of Keith Corbin, a Grape Street crip, who became a chef, and opened Alta in Los Angeles, famous black owned spot now. Not a redemption story, not a easy white washing of his life. Dude was a coke addict and a dope boy/gangster from a young age. and I actually met him in SD that year, and we talked about hustling for about 30 seconds, gave him a handshake and said I was glad he made it to the other side. He was like but did you read the book bro? and I was like yeah man in 2 days lol

there's three. I read all types of shyt, from fiction to non fiction, memoirs, thrillers, cultural analysis, sociology. Those are three that based on what I know you would connect with, BUT I also go out of my way to read women's fiction, books about sexual assault/rape, books about sexual norms, memoirs of women who have had a LOT of sex, books by gay authors, whatever. but not everyone goes that far.

edit: one more

El Jefe: The Stalking of Chapo Guzman, detailed reporting of the capture and tracking of Chapo in 2009/2014\\

Hunting El Chapo: Andrew Hogan, by the DEA agent who led the investigation out of Arizona and SD, inside look at US drug trafficking, federal investigations, and what US/Mexico law enforcement cooperation looks like in real practice.

Last edited:

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
There is a library down the street from me and I’ve been a regular since I moved to this part of NJ. :manny:

Last book I read was Blood Meridian good book but I get strong :mjpls: vibes from it, but the book does show how how demonic these cacs were moving at the time.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Gotcha fam:

• 61dLxO42TFL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
  • 81ehpTd1O2L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
  • 9781250781000.jpg
Some of the best books I've read thus far recently.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Read a few like this last year too,

don't have this issue at all, but helped me understand others better

Addicted To Drama: Dr Scott Lyons

explains how 'drama' functions as a drug like quality, and acts as escapism, and a kind of high for people. Really really helped me understand it better, people's ability to descend into drama and chaos. it basically serves the same purpose as drinking, blocks out your own thoughts. People become hooked on that cycle of drama, constantly going from one thing to another, a feedback loop of drama.

if you know those kinds of people, this will make it so much clearer why they act the way they do.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I got back into reading last August. This year I have read around 27 books

Mainly been posting in here

I slowed down buying shoes and built up a nice little library and I also use the Libby app and hop on Kindle sales. I read a lot at work when I have downtime and bust out the Kindle to read in bed.

We need to get more men reading definitely black men. That should trickle down to getting more black boys reading.

Last edited: