"Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic" New York Jets 2012 offseason thread

Trip

slippery slope
Daps
Reppin
FL
FRom Football Outsiders almanac for 2012

Strengths:
1. Best three-deep CB corps in NFL (Revis, Cromartie, Kyle Wilson is great fit at slot)

2. Solid foundation of up-the-middle defensive talent (Pouha, Harris and role players). Bolstered pass rush with Bryan Thomas back, Coples, and 46 defense.

3. "the Jets have four-fifths of a Super Bowl-caliber offensive line" Brick, Mangold, Brandon Moore have been together for 7 seasons, Slauson joined in 2010. "Whether Hunter is a misunderstood hero or a blown piston in need of replacing, however, the Jets still have the capacity to be great on the offensive line"

4. The AFC has only one offensive superpower, the Patriots...Rex Ryan and Tanny recognized that running and defense teams can excel in the AFC. Secondary and O-line give them potential to be an awesome running and defense team.

On Sanchez:
-Has not overcome his shortcomings
-Awful against the heavy rush (30.8% completion for 3.1 ypa against heavy rush last year)
-7 of 28 on passes with air length of over 25 yards, and 12 of those came in 4th quarter with Jets trailing which means Shotty has little faith in Sanchez's deep accuracy until things got desperate
-Sanchez is not a high volume pocket passer, nor is he a ball-protecting sack-avoiding game manager that defensive-oriented teams look for
-He is a stopgap, and Jets were foolish to sign him to an extension

FOA believes that all of the Jets' talk about Wildcat package is just coded language, and Tebow will become the starter once Sanchez struggles. They believe that letting Tebow play makes more sense than shuttling Sanchez in and out and putting Tebow in on obvious run/scramble plays.

Other points:
-O-line lacks depth beyond starters. Colin Baxter gone leaves no clear backup C.
-FOA loves David Harris ("one of the league's best all around ILBs"), Pouha and Bart Scott
-Revis is awesome. Cro was more reliable last year than in past. Kyle Wilson could start for most teams and is invaluable as a nickel defender
-Opposing kickers were an absurd 29 for 30 vs. the Jets last season, with only miss being a Janikowski 56 yarder. They will not be as lucky again this year...regression to the mean.
-Dave DeGugliemo is an idiot

efq4o0.jpg

The Jets are courting disaster in the name of creating a gimmick offense that can net, in an ideal case, five yards per rush and a red zone advantage. It is easy to imagine the Jets winning a wild card berth and becoming a playoff headache by charting the narrow channel between Revis Island and Cape Tebowmania. It is easier to imagine an entire November episode of Pardon the Interruption dedicated to what Cromartie said after Tebow’s fumble, how Ryan reacted, and what Sanchez thought when he heard the comments from his new locker room in Arizona.

It is all very crazy, highly unpredictable, and gruesomely interesting, which makes it all quintessentially Jets.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
FRom Football Outsiders almanac for 2012

efq4o0.jpg

The Jets are courting disaster in the name of creating a gimmick offense that can net, in an ideal case, five yards per rush and a red zone advantage. It is easy to imagine the Jets winning a wild card berth and becoming a playoff headache by charting the narrow channel between Revis Island and Cape Tebowmania. It is easier to imagine an entire November episode of Pardon the Interruption dedicated to what Cromartie said after Tebow’s fumble, how Ryan reacted, and what Sanchez thought when he heard the comments from his new locker room in Arizona.

It is all very crazy, highly unpredictable, and gruesomely interesting, which makes it all quintessentially Jets.

FootballOutsiders :aicmon:

And he's wrong about Kyle Wilson, QB's had a good completion percentage against him, if we really wanna use stats.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Shonn Green is a bum.

I predicted a whiles back that he'll lost his spot to McKnight.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh yeah where are you getting these stats?

I read somewhere qb's completed at least 60% of there passes and that profootballfocus gave him a -8.5 rating, but I could care less about stats cause I can see on T.V. that's he's stiff and not a good cover corner, he should be a safety

Trip

slippery slope
Daps
Reppin
FL
I read somewhere qb's completed at least 60% of there passes and that profootballfocus gave him a -8.5 rating, but I could care less about stats cause I can see on T.V. that's he's stiff and not a good cover corner, he should be a safety

he's a nickel back and he did fairly well last season I thought.

he's the least of our worries

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps

Kyle played much better last season.

I was actually surprised.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kyle played much better last season.

I was actually surprised.

He played better for first part of the season, but he really slipped after that, especially last couple weeks. Couldn't handle Cruz or Bess, and he can't even handle old man Branch. Deion Branch stays killing Kyle Wilson.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
he's a nickel back and he did fairly well last season I thought.

he's the least of our worries

Wrong, Slot receivers are on the field a lot these days, so it would be best he gets better, but i don't know if he can, we'll wait & see.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
What's y'all thoughts on Jeremy Kerley as our slot receiver ? I feel like he became somewhat overrated because all our other receivers wasn't doing anything.