Realistically Mike Tyson belongs no where near the top 5

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
You'll never see a heavyweight move with such grace and speed ever again. Nor will you see anyone with a custom made boxing style that exemplifies his talents so perfectly whilst using shortcomings to an advantage and having that much sheer power, control, precision and ring IQ.

People simply couldn't hit him as he'd evade, keep the pressure on then counter punch and it would be lights out.

In terms of sheer skill people really underrate Tyson as he's literally leagues ahead of so many of his peers for reasons said.

That uppercut duck at 2:16:whoo:

Daps
Tyson is not Top 5....I agree.

Definitely not P4P and if you just talk heavyweights, he's not Top 5.

That's based on physical talent AND resume. The two elite fighters he faced were Lennox Lewis and Evander Holyfied.

Truthfully, EH was an overgrown cruiserweight/light heavyweight but he gave Tyson fits because he had zero fear. In terms of physical gifts, Tyson was very unique....almost like Frazier but faster, stronger etc. The resume isn't there which hurts him because I don't think he ever beat a "great" fighter.

Guys with long reach always gave him problems. Ali, Sonny Liston and Foreman would have toyed with him.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
"Spirit of the street
Walks in the rain
From Brownsville to Spofford the boxing king!"

:ahh:

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
You need to watch the post fight interviews with Tyson and Douglas, Tyson said Douglas deserved the win and gave him a lot of credit. And yes a fluke..it’s called the biggest sports upset ever for a reason. Tyson was off his game and Douglas was on his. Douglas couldn’t even get motivated enough to get in shape for his next fight getting knocked into retirement..while Tyson went on to beat Tilman in 1 Stewart in 1 and and the number two ranked Ruddock two times going 4-0 in his title comeback. Tyson bodies him in 3 in the rematch. Was a fluke then and a fluke now.
The fight was maybe the biggest upset in boxing history. But you can't get beat almost every round by a fluke. He must have really embarrassed Mike to get called that. Btw, Mike was in perfect shape at 221, the same he weighed when he beat Trevor Berbick.

No way am I saying Douglas was ever all that, but he had Tysons number, especially that night. That's all a part of the game. But I believe Douglas did take Holyfield for granted that fight, who we still looked at as a blown up cruiserweight at the time. I never thought Holyfield was going to make all that noise in the heavyweight division. But if he knocked out Tyson, then Buster wasn't exactly fighting a slouch when he was knocked out by him.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In real time even when in prison Tyson was considered the best fighter on the planet. He’s the last heavyweight to be considered the p4p best fighter on the planet which is unheard of.. the last man to unify all the belts in the ring. He was heavyweight champ 1 yr and 4 months of his debut.. unified the division under two then completely cleaned out the top 10 within 3yrs. Record against ranked fighter is 24-3 the only fighters with more are Louis Ali and Holyfield..of course he can be ranked in the top 5 .two time world champ( unlike Lewis who became a two time champ by picking 2 of his first World belts out of the trash)..beat 9 former title holders.. he did a lot more than a lot of the dudes people try and rank ahead of him. 12-4 in world title fights.. 10 successful defenses of his belts..

Lennox Lewis was the last lineal champion and undisputed with all the belts, stop with these lies, Tyson's reign on top was shorter than leperchuans, his fans are delusional man children, I liked Tyson as much as everybody back then but facts are facts

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but I think Buster would have defeated Mike in the second fight as well, if Buster would have trained. He already took everything Mike had, especially after getting knocked down in the eighth. I'm not buying into that "Mike wasn't bobbing and weaving" thing. I never seen a fight when he wasn't, including against Buster. If you don't believe me, look at that fight, especially the first part. Like Mike said, "Everybody has a plan until they get hit". And Buster was sticking Mike with that left jab like a young Ali and Holmes that night.

With most boxers, some other boxer always had their number. and most of the time they didn't find out until they fought them. Antonio Tarver had Roy Jones's, Vernon Forrest had Shane Mosley's, Ricardo Mayorga had Vernon Forrest's, etc... Their second bouts always proved that. Buster Douglas over Mike Tyson would have been no exception, just like Holyfield vs Tyson 2 wasn't. Unlike when Oliver McCall knocked out Lennox Lewis with a lucky punch, Buster's defeat over Mike was no fluke.

Mike is a 5 round fighter, Buster Douglas survived the storm because he was in shape and whooped tyson's ass, he is a front runner, which is why he can't beat holyfield, he made the adjustment for the second fight and was doing better, but he knew he couldn't continue the same fight plan into the late rounds and bit his ear

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
Mike is a 5 round fighter, Buster Douglas survived the storm because he was in shape and whooped tyson's ass, he is a front runner, which is why he can't beat holyfield, he made the adjustment for the second fight and was doing better, but he knew he couldn't continue the same fight plan into the late rounds and bit his ear
Yeah, Mike was known to look confused when you took him into deep water.

Renzo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lennox Lewis was the last lineal champion and undisputed with all the belts, stop with these lies, Tyson's reign on top was shorter than leperchuans, his fans are delusional man children, I liked Tyson as much as everybody back then but facts are facts
Pay attention to what I said.. Tyson was the last man to unify the belts in the ring. Lewis picked his first two titles out of the trash. Seems his haters are weirdos when they can’t get basic facts right.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pay attention to what I said.. Tyson was the last man to unify the belts in the ring. Lewis picked his first two titles out of the trash. Seems his haters are weirdos when they can’t get basic facts right.

Lewis the the WBC champion after beating Oliver McCall in the rematch, and he beat Holyfield for the WBA, and IBF belt making him undisputed champion you don't know what you are talking about, in fact lewis had more belts than tyson because he had the main 3 and the IBO as well as the Ring Magazine title

you don't know what you are talking about

Renzo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought the OP was
The fight was maybe the biggest upset in boxing history. But you can't get beat almost every round by a fluke. He must have really embarrassed Mike to get called that. Btw, Mike was in perfect shape at 221, the same he weighed when he beat Trevor Berbick.

No way am I saying Douglas was ever all that, but he had Tysons number, especially that night. That's all a part of the game. But I believe Douglas did take Holyfield for granted that fight, who we still looked at as a blown up cruiserweight at the time. I never thought Holyfield was going to make all that noise in the heavyweight division. But if he knocked out Tyson, then Buster wasn't exactly fighting a slouch when he was knocked out by him.
Douglas wasn’t fighting no slouch? Douglas thought he was taking the easier fight and got put to sleep. If THAT Douglas that fought Holyfield Immediately rematches Tyson he gets pummeled. Guy came in a fat slob.