Rate this HBCU Day 6: Florida A&M University

How would you rate Florida A&M University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 1 5.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (It works)

Votes: 1 5.3%

Votes: 10 52.6%

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Charlie Hustle

Light Bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sin City
What were their audition requirements? With north of 300 people in their bands there is no way they could have held that high of a standard. I usually found that once you get above 100 kids in a band only about 40% can actually play decently.

Where did you march?

Charlie Hustle

Light Bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sin City
Morris Brown

I think rather the kids can play at the college level or not is subjective unless they have no sense of tuning, can’t read music, poor arrangements etc. basically lacking basic fundamentals and musicianship.

I do think the problems some bands have is over blowing and upper brass instruments trying to play high notes outside of their current abilities and band directors that allow that kind of foolishness. We got cussed out for overblowing when I was on the yard and we always shook the tree by memory. You didn’t want to be exposed…

Some people do slip through the cracks though and like we saw in drumline, that can only play by ear. Also, I’ve also seen sections “skating” with only your stronger players being able to hold down a difficult part and I’ve seen this in some of the “best” bands. I blame the band directors for allowing it to be played when they know damn well the song isn’t ready or the arrangement itself is garbage.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Ok, all of the Florida schools have been profiled as of today. I see that FAMU is the only one in The State University System.

SuulH.jpg

Gov. Desantis is using DEI as scapegoat/lightning rod and is making cuts left and right. What do you think this means for Florida A&M in the near future ?

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Ok, all of the Florida schools have been profiled as of today. I see that FAMU is the only one in The State University System.

SuulH.jpg

Gov. Desantis is using DEI as scapegoat/lightning rod and is making cuts left and right. What do you think this means for Florida A&M in the near future ?

They will get hit though I am not sure if he would get more MAGA points from demolishing a HBCU rather than bushing Black folks from FSU, UF, etc. They may escape since HBCUs are often a safety valve for the "I'm not racist I support HBCUs crowd".

The unfortunate thing is, unlike North Carolina or Louisiana with multiple good schools, FAMU is far and away the star in the FL HBCU world. If they get cooked that state's Black education takes a huge hit.

Also we got one school left in FL that I delayed due to controversy, Bethune Cookman :lolbron:

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4

SuulH.jpg

This has been my question, and why I’ve reserved judgement on alot of what I’ve heard. With this CRT discussion that’s going on, how is what’s happening now going to mess with FAM and the other Florida HBCU’s? I don’t know. I do know that when I went to A&T, it was mandatory we took an African American course. Are they going to scrap that? I’m not educated on that at all. @DrBanneker

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
This has been my question, and why I’ve reserved judgement on alot of what I’ve heard. With this CRT discussion that’s going on, how is what’s happening now going to mess with FAM and the other Florida HBCU’s? I don’t know. I do know that when I went to A&T, it was mandatory we took an African American course. Are they going to scrap that? I’m not educated on that at all. @DrBanneker

I have no idea tbh. As far as CRT goes, the biggest academic targets are at PWIs

I have the major graduation stats for all HBCUs and I kid you not, only like 0.2% of HBCU graduates are in Afro-Am or Woman's Studies majors. The reason being most HBCUs don't have the resources or faculty to have a whole Af-Am history or Women's Studies department. Only the bigger ones like Howard or Spelman have the resources to support those departments and 75% of the HBCU graduates in ethnic or gender studies come from those two schools.

All the big professors targeted by the anti-CRT crowd like Kimberlee Crenshaw, and Hannah N. Jones (before Howard) were at PWIs. Derrick Bell was at Harvard, not Hampton.

FAMU does have a BA in African-American studies but it only graduates less than 5 people a year on average. Granted HBCUs have classes on history and they weave Black culture and history into many of the other traditional majors. But honestly, cross my fingers, I have not seen the CRT crowd level a gun at HBCUs (yet).

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
1200px-Florida_A%26M_University_seal.svg.png
Florida_A%26M_University_logo.png

Yesterday we reviewed the University of the Virgin Islands and it came in at an underwhelming average of 4.0, but based on only two votes. Now we turn to a heavy-hitter: Florida A&M University. One of the top in the nation by enrollment as well as prestige, FAMU has long been known both for the dynamic performances of its marching band and accompanying Venom Dancers as well as its reputation for one of the top HBCUs in business, engineering, pharmacy, and some of the sciences. It also has a few relatively unknown gems such as the only HBCU viticulture (grape growing and wine making) program and a state of the art plasma physics lab. It is also in a big university town with Florida State University not far away.
It is also a HBCU of choice for Atlanta natives who want to go to a HBCU but not the local AUC or Spelhouse. They also help with finances with 61% of students receiving scholarship from FAMU averaging $3k each.

One cool tidbit about the viticulture program:

Basic data (all data 2021 unless otherwise noted)
Founded: 1887 (as the State Normal College for Colored Students)
City, State: Tallahassee, FL
Type: 4-Year Public
Nickname: Rattlers
Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 9,000 (7,301 undergraduate) 87% Black
Out of State Percentage: 25%; top states - Georgia (41%), Illinois (8%), Maryland (7%)
Part-time student percentage: 15%
First Generation Student Percentage: 37%
Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 50% / 6%
Out of State Percentage: 25%
Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 14:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 35%
4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 28% / 55%
Transfer out rate: 22%
Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 34%/66% (2:1)
Tuition: In-State: $5.8k Out-of-State: $17.8k
Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $25,000
Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $16,000
Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $42,521
Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Construction Engineering: $72,935, Accounting: $60,136, Registered Nursing: $59,201, Computer/Info Sciences: $56,027, Business Administration: $49,850

Top Majors by Degrees:
Health Services, Business Administration, Multi-/Interdisciplinary Studies, Psycology, Criminal Justice, Registered Nursing

Endowment: $96M
Alumni Engagement: 15.4% of the 2022 fundraising was from alumni.
Athletic Conference: SWAC (Southwestern Atlantic Conference) (NCAA Div 1)

Mascot: Rattlers

FAMU_Rattler.png

8654bc41-8d90-4d9c-8597-a4b0c77c0087.jpg

Prominent Alumni

Bernard & Shirley Kinsey - Noted LA business family with the largest collection of African-American Art in the world
0304ZU_0092KP.jpg

Kim Godwin - President of ABC News
godwin-abc-ps-210414_1618435269589_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

Common - you know...
American-rapper-Common-2016.jpg

Keisha Lance Bottoms - former mayor of Atlanta
18_KLB_coverstory_photo.jpg

John W. Thompson - former chair of Microsoft and CEO of Symantec
John_W_Thompson_2020-10.png

Ibram X Kendi - noted professor of race and racism
20-1281-KENDI-106-600x600.jpg

Main Campus
famu-header-1024x427-1.jpg

famu-campus.jpg

New Student Center
4a22afef-f4b2-496e-8dbe-86ee63f5f519-011121_TS_002.jpg

Center for Viticulture and Small Fruit Research - I think FAMU has the only viticulture (wine grape growing and wine making) program among HBCUs
FAMU%20Vineyards%202.jpg

Center for Plasma Science and Technology (met some of the folks back in the day; doing cool plasma turbulence research)
CePAST_1_640x480.jpg

School of Business and Industry
3col-SBI_Building.jpg

Do one on Allen University, please. My little cousin is going there.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
They will get hit though I am not sure if he would get more MAGA points from demolishing a HBCU rather than bushing Black folks from FSU, UF, etc. They may escape since HBCUs are often a safety valve for the "I'm not racist I support HBCUs crowd".

The unfortunate thing is, unlike North Carolina or Louisiana with multiple good schools, FAMU is far and away the star in the FL HBCU world. If they get cooked that state's Black education takes a huge hit.
Interesting.
Florida and Texas govt.s are dialing up the bull. They effectively forced President Simmons out at PVMAU and blocked the progress she had in mind for the institution. Almost as if they were more comfortable with the state of that school before she came in.
The whole series has been very eye opening. Just earlier, the Central State U. profile had backstory of the state funding and dictating direction of Depts and concentrations. Gonna follow what grandstanding trick Desantis has up his sleeve, and what his angle would be.

Also we got one school left in FL that I delayed due to controversy, Bethune Cookman :lolbron:
Oh, yeah, I played myself.
Ironically, I said in the Fl. Mem. thread that I always confused that school with BCU.
Looking forward to Bethune Cookman one when it comes out.

Last edited:

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
I have no idea tbh. As far as CRT goes, the biggest academic targets are at PWIs

I have the major graduation stats for all HBCUs and I kid you not, only like 0.2% of HBCU graduates are in Afro-Am or Woman's Studies majors. The reason being most HBCUs don't have the resources or faculty to have a whole Af-Am history or Women's Studies department. Only the bigger ones like Howard or Spelman have the resources to support those departments and 75% of the HBCU graduates in ethnic or gender studies come from those two schools.

All the big professors targeted by the anti-CRT crowd like Kimberlee Crenshaw, and Hannah N. Jones (before Howard) were at PWIs. Derrick Bell was at Harvard, not Hampton.

FAMU does have a BA in African-American studies but it only graduates less than 5 people a year on average. Granted HBCUs have classes on history and they weave Black culture and history into many of the other traditional majors. But honestly, cross my fingers, I have not seen the CRT crowd level a gun at HBCUs (yet).
Yea, I don’t know many at A&T who got degrees in AA history or studies. I do know it was mandatory for all incoming freshman to take what they called UNST courses, or university studies courses, and AA history was apart of that. It would be interesting to know if that’s a requirement at the Florida HBCUs or HBCUs in general, and have those type courses been eliminated with this big push to oust CRT curriculum. Admittedly, I’m still confused on what exactly constitutes as CRT.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Yea, I don’t know many at A&T who got degrees in AA history or studies. I do know it was mandatory for all incoming freshman to take what they called UNST courses, or university studies courses, and AA history was apart of that. It would be interesting to know if that’s a requirement at the Florida HBCUs or HBCUs in general, and have those type courses been eliminated with this big push to oust CRT curriculum. Admittedly, I’m still confused on what exactly constitutes as CRT.
It's just "black history" outside the mainstream narrative set by the dominant society.