Rate this HBCU Day 15: St. Augustine's University

How would you rate St. Augustine's University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 4 44.4%

Votes: 2 22.2%

Votes: 3 33.3%

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I'm sick of stuff like this. I really hold Black folks who take money from our kids' education as lower than the average street tough who at least may have circumstances and a back story. No excuse for this.
I hope they name the ones directly responsible for the missing money.
Air them completely out, so they become pariahs.
Stealing at a university with limited resources has dire effects. Limited resources and existing accreditation issues, and MFers get the bright idea to steal ?
And the people in charge didn't have checks and balances in places to flag discrepancies.?

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359

If it is like other schools I expect enrollment next year to crater and the fall in students will put further strains on finances and the feedback loop continues until the wheels come off. Barring them winning big in arbitration I don't see many other alternative scenarios playing out.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

‘Probable Criminal Activity’ Leaves Episcopal HBCU Strapped​

April 19, 2024 l
Saint-Augustine.jpg-750x400-1.jpg
Saint Augustine's campus, with the Raleigh skyline in the background | st-aug.edu

Saint Augustine’s University, the older of two historically Black Episcopal colleges, “is utterly cash-strapped because of poor financial guidelines and checks and balances, and probable criminal activity,” according to a bishop who sits on the board of trustees.
The Rt. Rev. Samuel Rodman, who as Bishop of North Carolina sits on the board of trustees of Saint Augustine’s, briefed the Executive Council April 18 on the first day of its three-day meeting in Raleigh, North Carolina. The council’s thrice-yearly meetings rotate from city to city, and the local bishop always is invited to speak.
Bishop-Rodman-250x250-1.jpg
Bishop Sam Rodman

“There is an active criminal investigation going on currently, with respect to some of the employees and some of the decision making that took place,” he said. The previously reported $8 million in debt to the IRS is only a fraction of the problem. “The total debt load for the university at this point is north of $25 million,” Rodman said.
In February, the IRS filed lax liens against university property, alleging that for years, the university failed to turn over to the IRS the income tax it withheld from employees’ paychecks. Rodman did not describe the nature of the university’s other debts.
He described Saint Augustine’s as “land-rich,” and said the university is negotiating with the IRS for permission to sell property to cover its debts. “No one is talking about, at this stage, liquidating the campus,” he said. “But the university owns quite a bit of land in Raleigh that is non-contiguous to the campus.”
Most students have been sent home to take classes remotely, and local churches are pitching in to feed the students who remain, since the school no longer has campus dining.
The school is appealing a decision to strip its accreditation, which would prevent students from receiving federal financial aid. It remains accredited during the appeal, which means students graduating in the spring will graduate from an accredited institution. “So that is one silver lining in a really horrific situation,” Rodman said.
Saint Augustine’s was co-founded in 1867 by then-Bishop of North Carolina Thomas Atkinson, for the education of formerly enslaved people.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Think they're just gonna go ahead and merge with Shaw?

Really no other path forward to remain open.
I hate to sound like a dikk, but what is in it for Shaw to take them over? Maybe allow St. Aug students to transfer and get credit would be good but why destabilize Shaw with their debt and admin issues? Unless getting the property on the cheap is a good deal.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I hate to sound like a dikk, but what is in it for Shaw to take them over? Maybe allow St. Aug students to transfer and get credit would be good but why destabilize Shaw with their debt and admin issues? Unless getting the property on the cheap is a good deal.
What you said makes perfect sense. Buying up their buildings and facilities and expanding makes the most sense.