Rate this HBCU Day 15: St. Augustine's University

How would you rate St. Augustine's University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 4 44.4%

Votes: 2 22.2%

Votes: 3 33.3%

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Well there's always Shaw.... Why does this cycle always keep happening?
Alumni members have written about it, and this series has given us a better picture of the patterns that some of the schools fall into. In this case, the article says that St Aug. had been on probation since last year, and was previously in that position in 2016 and 2018.
I think alumni and potential candidates to be recruited to lead the school know the history of mismanagement and keep the school at arm's distance. So the engagement and donations remains low, and competent administrators stay far away. The Board of Trustees brings in whoever they can , and the shenanigans continue.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps

Jan 6, 2023

I want more of our schools to add online curriculums, especially if the online student numbers added to the physical student body. Larger student bodies *might* mean more Federal funding for HBCUs.
More online HBCUs could also mean that more of our kids can attend college, and save some costs.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I want more of our schools to add online curriculums, especially if the online student numbers added to the physical student body. Larger student bodies *might* mean more Federal funding for HBCUs.
More online HBCUs could also mean that more of our kids can attend college, and save some costs.
I hope this is a real online effort though and not a prelude to facilities closing. You are right though.

powmia

Pro
Daps

They may have to revisit having those meger conversations with Shaw University. News stories like this don't make it look like a promising future. I would rather see them merge with Shaw than see this storied University turn into dog parks, coffee shops and and million dollar condos.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

They may have to revisit having those meger conversations with Shaw University. News stories like this don't make it look like a promising future. I would rather see them merge with Shaw than see this storied University turn into dog parks, coffee shops and and million dollar condos.
Agree. Contraction and mergers are the future for some schools. Unfortunate, but better than closing down.
And thanks to this series, I found out about previous mergers so it's not the end of the world. Just combining two legacies.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Saint Augustine's University face appeals hearing for accreditation status​

Feb 20, 2024
Interim President Dr. Marcus Burgess is in Atlanta today for the appeals hearing to revoke the university's accreditation status

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

young3000

Most wanted baby father
Daps
Reppin
where they cross-over and clap boards
It's over. I'm usually optimistic, but after following the story since this profile went up I don't see them coming out of this. I would pull my kids out before paying for more credits that won't transfer. Sad story.
They have a lot of problems going on along with the accreditation issues. Employees not being paid on time, lawsuits from former president, and enrollment issues.

One of my good friends son is on the basketball team. He flirted with transferring this past summer, but chose to stick it out. He's definitely gone after this season.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359